DNA mod with OLED display and USB charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Had been toying with the idea of doing this, watched BreakTru and Mamu make some excellent dna mods and finally decided to give it a go. Many thanks to BreakTru and Mamu for leading the way! Getting about 12.5W out of it with little to no fluctuation, hits strong and is surprisingly light. My next step will be to build a pcb that holds the components to reduce the size to something like a 4.5x2x1 case which for me would be perfect. Still have to tune the code a bit but nothing catastrophic. Overall, pretty nice mod to use.:banana:

- Evolv dna
- 20C 2200Mah Lipo cell
- 128X32 OLED display
- ATmega based MCU
- mini USB charge breakout

View attachment 123030 View attachment 123031 View attachment 123050

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Oooh, thats a cool idea. Once I get this one dialed in, I'm going to try a PTN4050C boost mod with display and control and safety circuits. I haven't done a lot of mods, the last one I built was a 5V nicostick when they were the rage so I need to get better at case modding and stuffing all the crap in a box as well.

Could do some cool stuff making a wood enclosure...

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
Thats funny my next project is using a 04050c also. Im planning on making breaktru's .44 mini booster with a touch switch. I already have the 04050c just waiting on the rest of the parts. I've always wanted to try making a touch switch. And the .44 mini is absolutely tiny so its good to use on the go or at work. It uses a 14500 battery most are made using a 2 AA battery box I believe but Im planning on a wood enclosure.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Not at all, I havent read that thread but I will. I really dig the stuff that BreakTru and CraigHB are doing in taking mods to the next level. All my project is was recreating what BT had already done with the DNA for myself, but it furthers my own mods and skills so all good. The results end up being better than anything we could buy as it is custom tailored to what we like and there's something more satisfying in using a mod that is self built.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/178144-44-mini-booster-box-mod-12.html Link to breaktrus .44 mini if your up for a good read. The good schematic showing the touch ckt is on page 12. Sorry if this is considered jacking your thread, just thought you may enjoy this if you havnt already stumbled upon it.

For better performance go with the .44 Plus-Plus mini boost. The box is the same size only a bit deeper. It's a 9v battery box and you can use AW IC18500 or AW IMR18490 batteries. Better batteries than the 14500 batts. It's posted in this forum but for some reason the thread is closed ???

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Had been toying with the idea of doing this, watched BreakTru and Mamu make some excellent DNA mods and finally decided to give it a go. Many thanks to BreakTru and Mamu for leading the way! Getting about 12.5W out of it with little to no fluctuation, hits strong and is surprisingly light. My next step will be to build a pcb that holds the components to reduce the size to something like a 4.5x2x1 case which for me would be perfect. Still have to tune the code a bit but nothing catastrophic. Overall, pretty nice mod to use.:banana:

- Evolv DNA
- 20C 2200Mah Lipo cell
- 128X32 OLED display
- ATmega based MCU
- mini USB charge breakout

Great work and well done. Glad to see more MCU mods popping up. Been receiving a lot of inquires on building MCU mods. I expect to see more to come from modders.

Mrgreen819

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
North Carolina
For better performance go with the .44 Plus-Plus mini boost. The box is the same size only a bit deeper. It's a 9v battery box and you can use AW IC18500 or AW IMR18490 batteries. Better batteries than the 14500 batts. It's posted in this forum but for some reason the thread is closed ???
Yea much nicer battery will last maybe two days on a IMR 18490. Any suggestions where to find the 9v box? I searched two places so far, no luck. Im also going to make one in a wooden enclosure. Also curious what you used on the 44 casing as a center conductor and insulator? Thanks for posting that info on the .44, you spent a lot of time on that.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yea much nicer battery will last maybe two days on a IMR 18490. Any suggestions where to find the 9v box? I searched two places so far, no luck. Im also going to make one in a wooden enclosure. Also curious what you used on the 44 casing as a center conductor and insulator? Thanks for posting that info on the .44, you spent a lot of time on that.

Let's take this to the .44 mini boost thread on this forum.
Don't want to step on debook's MCU mod thread. Sorry debook

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Not at all, no big deal.

I'm surprised there aren't more mods with a useful MCU setup, most just have the 3 digit led. Guess its not cost effective or mod makers don't think it's necessary. I think the DNA really benefits from a full display. What would be really cool is some way to be able to set the wattage while the unit is not active, replicate the 10k pot with a a-d then d-a loop and display the representative wattage. Hmmm...

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Well, a full week of use and its going strong. Made some improvements to the code, still working on a sleep mode that turns off the display and puts the MCU into low power mode when idle. Only needed charging twice despite being the most used mod this week. Will be starting a more robust PTN4050C mod soon, ordered parts today. Really need to start finding a better enclosure for it, this one is just way too big and clumsy.

View attachment 124926

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread