DNA75C Mirage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwross217

Dec 11, 2019
New Jersey
I just bought a mirage a couple weeks ago and can already understand the battery door issues. Is there anyone here that has been using the mirage daily without issues over time? I usually have a PICO in my pocket because of the durability but the mirage was intended to replace this as the daily driver. Is it worth purchasing a Thor2 or vicious ant with 75C for longevity? Is there a single battery mod out there that is pocketable with a DNA75c that can take a beating?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Well I wouldn’t view a Thor 2 or a VA mod as designed to take a beating. Sorta the opposite. Beautiful mods, but expensive to accidentally drop and bust up the expensive stab wood.

I’m not aware of any specific “ruggedized” mod with a dna board in it like say an Aegis. The Mirage is also a resin body which can crack if dropped. Maybe we if you can find an Hcigar dna based mod like the VT series. I have an older VT75 from them and it’s a solid metal body that stands up well to “normal” abuse. It is a tad heavy compared to say a resin body, but is well priced in comparison to a few hundred dollars on a Thor or especially a VA. Both beautiful mods (IMO if I were willing to spend the extra go with a VA) but not a Mirage or certainly Pico pocket carry, unless your idea of out and about includes a chauffeur and a bottle of Grey Poupon.

Finding one may require some searching as they’re out of active production. I just did a quick search and the usual suspects in the US are out of stock, but rummaging around including the overseas Chinese sites may turn up a VT75C for you. The price should be around $80 or less if on clearance. Good luck!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I just bought a mirage a couple weeks ago and can already understand the battery door issues. Is there anyone here that has been using the mirage daily without issues over time? I usually have a PICO in my pocket because of the durability but the mirage was intended to replace this as the daily driver. Is it worth purchasing a Thor2 or vicious ant with 75C for longevity? Is there a single battery mod out there that is pocketable with a DNA75c that can take a beating?
If you must have a single battery DNA-75C mod make sure you get one that takes a 21700 battery. You will likely be disappointed with runtime on a DNA-75C with a single 18650. Unless you don't mind carrying some spare batts with you. ;)

I don't know of any DNA-75C mod that fits what you are looking for with being able to take a beating. What kind of a beating exactly will you be putting it through???

I don't know your location but an excellent DNA-75 mod to look at would be the JAC Vapour DNA-75 mod. Several at ECF own and love 'em. I have a couple. They are single 18650. It's not the color display but it gets excellent runtime. Personally I don't care for color displays on a mod.
JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w

If you want an excellent single 18650 mod that can take a beating (normal drops etc and even water proof {to a point}) then take a look at the Geek Vape Aegis Solo (single 18650). Are you looking at a DNA device specifically for its TC? I have some Solo's and they do TC excellently.

I have Pico 75's and they can totally take a beating (dropped on concrete and many other surfaces) and still work. Also the Pico's do great in TC if you have installed the Arctic Fox firmware. With the AF sw you can tweak away just like on a DNA mod (escribe sw).

Like @Eskie said the Thor 2 or VA mods are NOT meant for "taking a beating" or any abuse. They are high end, high quality mods.

Jwross217

Dec 11, 2019
New Jersey
If you must have a single battery DNA-75C mod make sure you get one that takes a 21700 battery. You will likely be disappointed with runtime on a DNA-75C with a single 18650. Unless you don't mind carrying some spare batts with you. ;)

I don't know of any DNA-75C mod that fits what you are looking for with being able to take a beating. What kind of a beating exactly will you be putting it through???

I don't know your location but an excellent DNA-75 mod to look at would be the JAC Vapour DNA-75 mod. Several at ECF own and love 'em. I have a couple. They are single 18650. It's not the color display but it gets excellent runtime. Personally I don't care for color displays on a mod.
JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w

If you want an excellent single 18650 mod that can take a beating (normal drops etc and even water proof {to a point}) then take a look at the Geek Vape Aegis Solo (single 18650). Are you looking at a DNA device specifically for its TC? I have some Solo's and they do TC excellently.

I have Pico 75's and they can totally take a beating (dropped on concrete and many other surfaces) and still work. Also the Pico's do great in TC if you have installed the Arctic Fox firmware. With the AF sw you can tweak away just like on a DNA mod (escribe sw).

Like @Eskie said the Thor 2 or VA mods are NOT meant for "taking a beating" or any abuse. They are high end, high quality mods.
I am not one to throw things around but can be absent minded at times which leads to me knocking my Vapes of the desk or missing my pocket occasionally. I do have 2 picos with artic fox that I run my 22mm kayfuns on. The problem is that I purchased the mirage (which I over paid for due to impatience) and I can dial it in much more and I am struggling compromising when I’m in the office. Which leads to the likely scenario that this flimsy battery door will break from continued use and travel.
Those picos have been through several drops on concrete and knocks without ever skipping a beat. Something to say for a $25 mod that performs pretty damn well with artic fox.
Yes, I use TC exclusively. One burnt hit on a Kanthal build is enough for life.

Last edited:

Jwross217

Dec 11, 2019
New Jersey
Well I wouldn’t view a Thor 2 or a VA mod as designed to take a beating. Sorta the opposite. Beautiful mods, but expensive to accidentally drop and bust up the expensive stab wood.

I’m not aware of any specific “ruggedized” mod with a DNA board in it like say an Aegis. The Mirage is also a resin body which can crack if dropped. Maybe we if you can find an Hcigar DNA based mod like the VT series. I have an older VT75 from them and it’s a solid metal body that stands up well to “normal” abuse. It is a tad heavy compared to say a resin body, but is well priced in comparison to a few hundred dollars on a Thor or especially a VA. Both beautiful mods (IMO if I were willing to spend the extra go with a VA) but not a Mirage or certainly Pico pocket carry, unless your idea of out and about includes a chauffeur and a bottle of Grey Poupon.

Finding one may require some searching as they’re out of active production. I just did a quick search and the usual suspects in the US are out of stock, but rummaging around including the overseas Chinese sites may turn up a VT75C for you. The price should be around $80 or less if on clearance. Good luck!
In terms of structural integrity and build quality I was under the assumption that function would not be compromised under regular daily use. I don’t mind aesthetic integrity being compromised at all. I will certainly check out the hcigar. Thank you for the comment.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am not one to throw things around but can be absent minded at times which leads to me knocking my Vapes of the desk or missing my pocket occasionally. I do have 2 picos with artic fox that I run my 22mm kayfuns on. The problem is that I purchased the mirage (which I over paid for due to impatience) and I can dial it in much more and I am struggling compromising when I’m in the office. Which leads to the likely scenario that this flimsy battery door will break from continued use and travel.

Honestly you already have the important part, the board. What I would do is just order an empty DNA 75C Case for about $40 and just keep using the Mirage until you break the door then remove the board and add it to the empty case. If you do want a whole new mod, you can get the Complete DNA 75C kit for about $96, and should a board ever go bad, you can order the 75C Board separately for $55 as well.

NOTE: While I have 4 DNA 75C mods, I have NOT used the ones linked above so cannot personally speak to quality or durability. Also I have never ordered anything from Protovapor, so I cannot speak to their service or support. I just like the fact that it's all modular though so you can just replace what is needed instead of buying a whole new mod when/if something breaks. The 4 DNA 75C mods that I own are all HCigar VT 75D mods which are dual 18650 mods and are unfortunately no longer being made or sold. You might can find one or two left on closeout somewhere but it's probably not going to be easy.

Jwross217

Dec 11, 2019
New Jersey
Honestly you already have the important part, the board. What I would do is just order an empty DNA 75C Case for about $40 and just keep using the Mirage until you break the door then remove the board and add it to the empty case. If you do want a whole new mod, you can get the Complete DNA 75C kit for about $96, and should a board ever go bad, you can order the 75C Board separately for $55 as well.

NOTE: While I have 4 DNA 75C mods, I have NOT used the ones linked above so cannot personally speak to quality or durability. Also I have never ordered anything from Protovapor, so I cannot speak to their service or support. I just like the fact that it's all modular though so you can just replace what is needed instead of buying a whole new mod when/if something breaks. The 4 DNA 75C mods that I own are all HCigar VT 75D mods which are dual 18650 mods and are unfortunately no longer being made or sold. You might can find one or two left on closeout somewhere but it's probably not going to be easy.
I have been looking at Protovapor XPV off and on for a year and can’t seem to find a time that they have stock. But yes, that is a very good alternative.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My 2 mirages were my saddest purchases. The vape quality was like the best I had ever experienced and I LOVED the mod design, how it felt, etc.

I killed off both doors in short order, and sent back to be refurbished and promptly sold. Those mods are made of gossamer, really.

That board though.... It was the best thing ever. Were I mechanically inclined (I am not) I would have for sure built my own.

Maybe someday, here's hoping (husband is very busy cannot build me mods.) Maybe I should get the parts and have him do it later. Probably.

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
My 2 mirages were my saddest purchases. The vape quality was like the best I had ever experienced and I LOVED the mod design, how it felt, etc.

I killed off both doors in short order, and sent back to be refurbished and promptly sold. Those mods are made of gossamer, really.

That board though.... It was the best thing ever. Were I mechanically inclined (I am not) I would have for sure built my own.

Maybe someday, here's hoping (husband is very busy cannot build me mods.) Maybe I should get the parts and have him do it later. Probably.

Anna

Who did you send it back to to get repaired? I just recently dropped one of mine and the battery door broke off as well as the top panel. The screws came right out of the body of the mod.

Thankfully (?) I have 2 others because it’s one of my favorite mods.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You send it to Evolv. Go to the "Evolv" thread and they will help you. It's insanely easy they don't want any proof of purchase or warranty or anything and like there is this form you fill out with the problem, you email it and they send you a packing label and then you get it back like it's new.

Wayneo who kept telling me to warranty the dang things, made it so easy. I will check my pms to see if I can find the form and send it to you. But the whole thing is as painless as it gets, pretty much. I sold him one of my disasters pre fix for less because he saved me a TON of money in recouping my costs (I knew there was NO way I was gonna live with that battery door. Hang on. I will try to find it.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread