Doctor says "meh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthaat Giyuh

Jun 8, 2018
It's happened yet again.

I have a host of medical problems, so I'm in various doctor's offices frequently. I'm always totally open with my docs about all aspects of my lifestyle that could theoretically impact my health.

Time and again, and again yesterday, the doctors ask me if I smoke, and I say "No, but I vape."

Every single time, they kinda wave their hand dismissively, and say "but no tobacco?"

No doctor will tell you vaping is safe, because they can't say that - there isn't enough clinical testing to say that definitively, and they have to cover their butts. But their attitude of unconcern about vaping speaks volumes, IMHO.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I've actually had doctors and nurses pull out their vape and smile
and I've had a few that did say it was healthier
then again I also had a doctor when I was a teen that said I didn't smoke because I only smoked one a day and didn't consider that concerning....
I think i've only had one nurse say that vaping was just as bad :glare:
*ps yes I'm in and out of doctors offices and hospitals quite often with various health issues, but since I started vaping my lungs have never been clearer/healthier*

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
What I have been given to understand is that vaping is in fact not safe. It is vastly safe than smoking though. Exactly how unsafe is a bit up in the air. I have heard numbers ranging from 100 times safer to 1000 times safer.
no offense, but nothing is 100% safe...but yes it is a lot better than smoking was to yourself (my chest x-rays stand as proof) and more so no secondhand effects (aside from the occasional I don't like the smell of that vape from my kids :lol: )

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
no offense, but nothing is 100% safe...but yes it is a lot better than smoking was to yourself (my chest x-rays stand as proof) and more so no secondhand effects (aside from the occasional I don't like the smell of that vape from my kids :lol: )
This is true. The 1000x safer crowd compared the danger of vaping to the danger of eating a ripe tomato.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
None of my docs have been remotely negative about vaping, in fact I think they are all seriously relieved they don't have to care for ANOTHER COPD patient. I have one doctor that vapes, and he was pretty helpful when I got going. Etc.

Tons of medical professionals are former or current smokers, more than you'd think, actually. I remember back in the day working in an ER nights where there were routinely about 5 medical personnel who were collected around the ashtray at the rear entrance, smoking. It's an immensely stressful profession, I mean look at residency, especially back then.

Additionally, I once read a study that medical personnel were doing things like rock climbing and parasailing and jumping out of parachutes and stuff, compared to the control group. Maybe they're around death so much, they've become desensitized to it, or maybe they need intense activities to keep their minds OFF their job, etc. LOL. But, I don't know that there is ANY universally standardized comparative figure yet, as far as the "relative safety," of vaping. There just isn't. I will say based on my personal experience I'm going to claim that it is yes, much safer.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have just my primary doctor that I see every year or 2 for a check up and she always asks me if I'm still using e-cigs and not tobacco and when I say yep, she says "good". She also tries to talk me into a colonoscopy every time too. :shock:
The colonoscopy you probably need. Yes they are unpleasant. The colonoscopy itself is no big deal though. It’s just the prep that sucks. It’s the AARP baptism though. Colon cancer is not funny. A colonoscopy can actually prevent it though. If they find polyps they can remove them during the colonoscopy. I had two precancerous polyps myself and I’m damn glad they snipped em. Plus you get to cut the biggest fart of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread