Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
The dreaded dog food decision. I remember when I would feed my dogs what is considered now cheap food with crappy ingredients and they always did just fine on it and lived long healthy and happy lives.

Anyway I have 2 daschunds, a yorkie and a new german shepherd pup about 4 months old. I have fed grain free for several years now but I am having a time finding something that works with his system. Our last german shepherd never had any issues but bless his little heart he is having a hard time finding something to work with his system. We have tried Taste of the wild, Fromms, and now I am using Purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach but I would like to put him on something a tad better once I can get his stomach settled. With that food and honest kitchen perfect form supplements he is doing pretty dang good. I know, I know, I probably should keep him on it but boy that stuff stinks and I think he is having some allergic reactions to grain, it is either that or a reaction to trifexis! Been looking at the 4health brand at tractor supply grain free. Looks like a lot of folks have had luck with it. I refuse to spend more money on dog food than food I feed myself. So while I don't mind spending $50 on a 30# bag I won't and can't spend much more than that range. I have 4 mouths to feed and want to make sure I get the best for the money without sacrificing quality if I can help it.

any other suggestions....for now he will stay on what he is on but I am looking so that in a few months I can try to make a switch to something with a little better ingredients. Figured with so many diverse folks here I might get some good suggestions I had not thought of.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Everything you will ever need to know about dog food ingredients - Vagreys' Kibble Grading System - DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community

The best kibble I have found for the price is Canidae. Better would be Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Castor & Pollux Organix, Solid Gold, Nature's Variety, Halo, Avoderm, Fromm, Honest Kitchen, and Wysong. The holy grail of dog food in my opinion is Orijen.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks, orijen is way to rich for my guy right now. Tried two different Taste of the wilds neither worked with his system and I think the egg and milk in fromms was too rich. We don't have a costco. We have a SAMs but not costco....Sigh......
Castor and pullox is on my maybe list. Need something that is good for sensitive stomachs.
Honest kitchen would be awesome but not in my budget. I do use their supplements though. That has been a big help with his stools. We are getting there and he seems to be doing fine right now with the pro plan sensitive skin and stomach but I would like to try something without grains.
4health grain free is in the top running right now. I will look into canidae. Thanks so far for the input.

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Are you slowly changing foods for him, or are you just introducing the new food to him cold turkey? You have to integrate the new kibble into the old one slowly, and gradually increase the new food as you decrease the old one. The constant changing from one food to another may be the reason he is not doing so well.

Considering he is still only a puppy, there is no such thing as too rich. He needs lots of calories to grow, and his stomach should settle if you just let his system get used to one kibble. Just be sure that it is good stuff. Anything Purina makes is NOT good stuff. The fact that they add menadione is a huge no-no.

Equus5O

ECF Veteran
When my GSD was a puppy Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo were too high in protein for him. At the vet's recommendation I went with Purina Pro Plan for a while. He (3) and the Yorkie (2) are now on Taste of the Wild grain free and probiotics. Expensive, yes. But I think it's worth it to not have him pooping his brains out all over the place.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
I do the change over a 3 week period. Yes I know purina pro plan is not the best but sometimes the best is what works for the pup at the time. I want to get that gut good and healthy before making any more changes. First order of business is to get him switched over once he has some stability for a length of time. As I mentioned I am looking in advance we are not staying on pro plan for long, just long enough. This is the only food where his stools have been good pretty immediately. His poops are actually good now as I mentioned but as I think about switching I want to do this with sensitivities in mind. I am thinking a fish based protein would best at this point.

As for rich, maybe I used the wrong word. Sometimes too much protein can cause loose stools in pups and that is what I was getting at.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I do the change over a 3 week period. Yes I know purina pro plan is not the best but sometimes the best is what works for the pup at the time. I want to get that gut good and healthy before making any more changes. First order of business is to get him switched over once he has some stability for a length of time. As I mentioned I am looking in advance we are not staying on pro plan for long, just long enough. This is the only food where his stools have been good pretty immediately. His poops are actually good now as I mentioned but as I think about switching I want to do this with sensitivities in mind. I am thinking a fish based protein would best at this point.

As for rich, maybe I used the wrong word. Sometimes too much protein can cause loose stools in pups and that is what I was getting at.

OK, good. It sounds like you know what you are doing. Just wanted to make sure and cut out any possibilities. ;)

Any time a dog has loose stool, fiber usually ends up fixing that. For a long term solution, try sprinkling some dry oatmeal on the kibble. For short term tummy upsets, I add some canned organic pumpkin I get from Harris Teeter. I portion it out in ice cube trays, freeze it, and store it in ziploc freezer bags, so it's always available when I need it.

The good thing is that since I put my pups on Canidae, they have not had any digestive issues since. I use the All Life Stages formula, but you may want to look into their grain free PURE Sea. The ingredients are great, and it includes all the good probiotics. Oh yeah, a spoonful of yogurt with their kibble or frozen yogurt treats (ice cube tray method) are also excellent for digestive health.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Like the health food industry, they will try to make people spend a lot of $$ and all those internet sites warning you of fillers, corn wheat, etc.

Look, Purina has been in dog, cat and livestock feed biz for what, 100 years? I have a lab right now who is 15 years old! They aren't even supposed to live that long. He has plenty of get up and go, and has existed on Purina.

I just supplement with some yogurt, chicken or cheese once in a while, a little flax oil, etc. My dogs have always been supplemented with stuff w/probiotics and flax oil/omega stuff. Just like I do for myself. :)

Rather than search the world for "designer" dog food, just buy vitamins from the vet if you are concerned. Unless dog has a food sensitivity or something, or NEEDS a special diet due to a medical condition.......I just go where I can buy the food easily in the course of my errands, like atwoods and walmart.

Biljac or some of the other well known feeds have been around for a while and are good too.

I used to think it mattered, but I've had dogs all my life, that would be 30+ adult years now, and never go to the vet except for shots and spay/neuter, buy my flea tick and heartworm meds, and all my dogs have been SUPER HEALTHY their entire lives.

When they have stomach upset the gentlest thing is to cook up white rice, soft, and add some lean ground turkey (or lamb or even lean hamburger but squeeze out the grease). With yogurt or a probiotic supplement.......that clears them up pretty fast.

I refuse to spend more money on dog food than food I feed myself.

Those of us that live in rural environments really can't find the "fancy smancy" food some surburban and city dwellers can. So we feed what is available at the feed stores.

There are also feed stores here that will mix up a special mix for you. There are several feed mills here, and I can have the guys make me whatever kibble I want with % of protein etc. I specify

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Are you slowly changing foods for him, or are you just introducing the new food to him cold turkey? You have to integrate the new kibble into the old one slowly, and gradually increase the new food as you decrease the old one. The constant changing from one food to another may be the reason he is not doing so well.

Yes, this is a BIG no no. changing their food out 100%. You have to use what they have been eating, and add about 25% of the new, over at least a week's time.

Get probiotics from vet. If that does not help, then test for corn or wheat. It could be ONE of those. Easy to find out.....just buy one small bag of no corn, then one small bag of no wheat.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for all the advice !! Sometimes I think buying dog food is as hard as buying shoes these days....harder....LOL

I think his skin sensitivities has been a reaction to trifexis. So going to keep him on the pro plan sensitive skin and stomach right now and change my heartworm this coming month and see if there is a difference.
But thought it was mighty rude of me not to post pics of the subject dog....LOL
Love this boy, we lost our female GSD July this year to cancer and our boy Silas sure has helped the grieving process...miss
That girl!!

Last edited:

macaroni

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Rockledge, Florida, USA

Considering he is still only a puppy, there is no such thing as too rich. He needs lots of calories to grow, and his stomach should settle if you just let his system get used to one kibble. Just be sure that it is good stuff. Anything Purina makes is NOT good stuff. The fact that they add menadione is a huge no-no.

You have to understand that we are talking about an animal that left to their own devices would be drinking out of the toilet and eating out of the garbage can .... just sayin'

says the guy who feeds his two criminals nothing but Buffalo Blue:blush:

macaroni

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Rockledge, Florida, USA
The two "boys" ..... they're criminals I tell ya

dogs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread