Double apple/absinthe

Status
Not open for further replies.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
Well I took the dive into DIY for cost and to make a flavor I wanted which no one sold. I wanted to make a double apple like the shisha flavor.
I mixed 8ml of 70/30 PG/ VG 36 with 2ml of MBV double apple and 1ml of PA Absinthe and let it sit in the hot ... AZ summer heat from 730 AM - 430 PM. The nic content is 26.2 which I don't mind, I like it strong.

So far it tastes great but I can definitely tell that it needs to steep more. Some drags I taste the apple more and some I taste absinthe more, others are mixed well. I was thinking of purchasing one of the Ultrasonic units to mix it up more. I let my brother try it and he said its his favorite juice so far.

I went against the single flavor advice and it's turned out well. Chem student beginners luck? Whatever the case cheers!

There are some slight perfume notes on the rare drag, I am considering leaving the lid off to let some of the ethyl alcohol from the absinthe evaporate. Does anyone have a quality absinthe they can recommend? MBV was our or I would have got that.

Last edited:

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Sounds like # 7 on the Hoosier Levels chart - not by a lot, but those perfume notes will probably get worse as it steeps.

As an absinthe drinker - NONE of the companies offer a quality absinthe flavour. They are all shallow and tend towards a single ingredient either anise or licorice, and not good licorice either, but that cheap candy tasting licorice. Then maybe one other ingredient as a back note.
Absinthe typically has between 5 and 7 flavours and scents I can identify ( not saying there isn't more, but this is all I can identify) NONE of these providers even get close.

From Hoosiers Levels

6. Hmmmm, That Is Close, But Has A "Je Ne Sais Pas" of Oddness (Dang didn't let it steep and I overshot)
7. Kinda' Close, but the Perfumey/Chemically Kills It (Going into the too much realm here and may be due to ignoring the steep part of #4.)

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
I got myself an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with that 20% off coupon at harbor freight today. I ran it for around an hour while I was roasting several 130 gram batches of Ethiopian Sidama Deri Kochoha coffee(I will be using some of that for a flavoring extract as well). The water was starting to get hot and steam up the little window at the end of it. I took some drags and it seems to be already mixed much better. I think the rare perfume note was just when I got a pocket of pure absinthe flavoring which hadn't totally dispersed. This flavor was noted right after I made it. I'll definitely try decadent vapors absinthe next time. I'm really digging this flavor, the MBV double apple isn't super concentrated but it has a really good flavor.

When vaping today the absinthe was starting to get stronger than the apple so I bumped up the apple and the nic. So here is my new ratio

9ml of 36 mg/ml nic base(70/30)
4ml MBV double apple
1ml PA Absinthe

Nic content=23.14%

This one has a way better apple to absinthe ratio now. I am loving this flavor so far. I have Bahama Blizzard by niquid and Peach Fuzz by Synergy labs and those have taken a back seat to this for me. This one was close to 2 dollars for 14 ml and those flavors were 10-11 at the local shop for 10ml. DIY for the win!

Last edited:

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
After steeping I found the flavor way too concentrated for a normal tank, but this tastes really good in the kanger pro tank. Now when I make my mix I wont be using more than 1ml of absinthe per 30ml of e liquid as that flavor was stronger than I anticipated. The apple is better at 20% and shouldn't be over that. I also made a mix with earl gray as well and that one is interesting, it hasn't fully steeped yet though. Another one I made yesterday is .5ml earl gray, 1.5ml of blueberry, and 1ml of lemon with 8ml of 36mg/ml 75%PG/25%PG. That one has a strong throat hit for sure between the nic, the lemon, and the earl gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread