Drip Tips can Solve or Create Problem (maybe they're more important than we thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
I do not know if this has been discussed before but here is what I have learned through experience and being an engineering student. Sorry but this is a long post.

If you get harsh hits from an rda please do read this before:
-You lose hope in RDA's
-You go out and buy juice with lower nicotine levels or higher VG juice
-You drill absolutely huge air holes in your RDA
-You consider that you might have PG, VG, or cotton sensitivity

So I just started using my Atomic RDA and was quite disappointed that at only 12 watts I was coughing out my lungs and getting that burning feeling in my mouth and throat. It did not matter if I used silica wick, how tight or loose I had the cotton, which dual air hole setting I used, or which one of my 5 favorite juices that I used. The result was the same every time, :censored:.

Any way I stuck with it (because my Tatroe tanks still have not arrived) always tweaking thinks to try making it better with little to no improvement.

So today, just for the heck of it, I switched out my Cherry Vape Ming Drip Tip that I was using for a Doughnut Trippy Tip that I had and BOOM!!!

ALL THE HARSHNESS WAS GONE!!! It was a night and day difference. I was getting an unusual flavor from my Honey Pearry before this point (not bad but it seemed like there was A LOT more strawberry than I remember from the first time I tried vaping), but the delightful flavor I remember is back now.

I can now: vape my 24mg nicotine juice, dual micro coil, cotton wick, at 12 watts, in my Atomic RDA, and blow awesome clouds with absolutely no coughing.

At the moment I thought it was the difference in the material or some voodoo magic, but now I realize what it is.

Even though I had my air holes set full open (dual 3mm) and positioned right at the coils, the Ming Drip Tip's smallest inner diameter was too small to give me enough airflow.

This might be a little confusing to some, but if you look at it like a straw because air is a fluid just like water it makes more sense. If you have a straw that has a big opening at the bottom but a cocktail straw sized opening at the top your not going to drink any faster than if you had a regular little cocktail straw. If you have a straw that has a big opening at both ends but has a middle section like a cocktail straw, you are still not going to be able to drink any faster. Now if you have a big straw all the way through (like a smoothie straw), you can drink incredibly fast.

MY Math and Theories
My Trippy Tip is not hugely bigger in the smallest internal diameter than the Cherry Vape Ming but it is noticeable. I do have a plain flat metal drip tip that is barely bigger than the Trippy Tip (tenths of a mm) but I notice the flavor starts to mute a little. This tells me I am not reaching the full capabilities of the dual 3mm air holes with the Trippy Tip. The area of 1 - 3mm air hole is 7.069 square mm. So the area of 2 - 3mm air holes is 14.138 square mm. A single hole diameter (like drip tips have) that equals this total area is 4.500mm. This means to get the most out of my dual 3mm air holes I have to have a drip tip that has a smallest internal diameter measuring 4.5mm or greater.

So the goal is to find a drip tip where the smallest internal diameter is as big as you can-get-it/need-it.

Other possible solutions that drip tips may be able to solve (theories I have in mind but haven't been able to test yet):
-If something with too airy of a draw you might be able to tighten it up with a smaller internal diameter
-If you have a problem with burnt hits on a BCC, a bigger internal diameter drip tip might be able to help you create more negative pressure with less effort (which in turn helps pull more juice to the coil)
-Possibly vice versa as above if you are having flooding issues (smaller internal diameter drip tip)
-If you are not getting enough throat hit a smaller internal diameter drip tip may help

Now I'm not saying that this will help every one but:
-You may find out that you were doing everything right but getting bad results because of your drip tip (like I did)
-You may find that you can enjoy an RDA like other people (like I did)
-You may find out that you do not have a sensitivity to certain things you thought you did (like I did)
-You may find that you don't need to keep 2 different nicotine levels on hand (like I did)
-You may find that you do not need to drill ridiculous sized air holes

This will obviously not help you if:
-you are scorching your wick
-you are getting dizzy really fast (over nic'ed)
-you actually do have a sensitivity to certain things
-you are under dripping (getting dry hits from not dripping enough)

That is all I have for you folks. I hope I posted this in the right spot and that I wasn't too confusing. Just thought I would help out some people with my experience.
:vapor:

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
Pretty new product, I think one of these should solve any airflow issues plus it can be used with a standard drip tip on top if you feel the supercarb hole is to big for you liking. Check it out ;)
SuperCarb AFC Tip V2 | Ninja Mods

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NGGZ9dbTbeA&autoplay=1

I actually do want one of these as I like to collect drip tips. It solves the same problems but in a different manner. It pulls free air (from outside of the system) into the drip tip chamber and basically dilutes the vapor. Same thing as using the air hole to their true potential. The cool thing about those tips is that if you have non adjustable air hole you do not have to drill them out and risk ruining the looks of your RDA or juice leaking easier.

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
I'd like to get my hands on one also. In the meantime, Here's a pic of my my DIY drip tip, not the best picture but gives you an idea of how it looks. This was made from the rounded insert that holds a permanent marker tip in the housing. Fits perfect with no O-rings and slides in the exact distance as a regular. My calipers are out in the garage but I think inside is 3.5mm with a 2mm hole in top of tip. Works excellent on my KFL+
image.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
I'd like to get my hands on one also. In the meantime, Here's a pic of my my DIY drip tip, not the best picture but gives you an idea of how it looks. This was made from the rounded insert that holds a permanent marker tip in the housing. Fits perfect with no O-rings and slides in the exact distance as a regular. My calipers are out in the garage but I think inside is 3.5mm with a 2mm hole in top of tip. Works excellent on my KFL+
View attachment 309099
The attachment is not working for me.

barabus

Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
phoenix, az
Firstly, I like the way your brain works OP mine is similar. I have one of ninja's afc dt's and I like it especially for using on atty's that I wouldn't drill out for risk of reprisal. As a solution to a higher level of vapor I have not been able to notice a difference if anything vapor is less dense (obviously) but I have noticed a taste difference it does provide a higher level of taste on my genesis devices that already are so flavorful. BTw I when I first started vaping didn't realize you could get such a clean flavorful vape from a genny until I got the changeling and bliss opened up my eyes quite a bit...

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
MY Math and Theories
My Trippy Tip is not hugely bigger in the smallest internal diameter than the Cherry Vape Ming but it is noticeable. I do have a plain flat metal drip tip that is barely bigger than the Trippy Tip (tenths of a mm) but I notice the flavor starts to mute a little. This tells me I am not reaching the full capabilities of the dual 3mm air holes with the Trippy Tip. The area of 1 - 3mm air hole is 7.069 square mm. So the area of 2 - 3mm air holes is 14.138 square mm. A single hole diameter (like drip tips have) that equals this total area is 4.500mm. This means to get the most out of my dual 3mm air holes I have to have a drip tip that has a smallest internal diameter measuring 4.5mm or greater.

Why Brandon? Sure, drip tip hole size is going to change the pressure drop and velocity through the drip tip. But assuming you don't go small enough so you can't handle the pressure drop (by sucking harder), I don't see this changing the vape. The coils will still see the same air flow.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
The length of the tip made a huge difference for me. I got my fatty all excited set it just like all my coils 2.0 and put my fav super shorty tip on it ahh the burn and taste was awful. This is with 0mg so it's not nic taste. Messed with he fatty couldn't get it taste right. The next day I had put my shorty on my current vape igo s 2.0 on a twist everything was fine. I was too lazy to take tip off of the igo so I just threw on a really long cheapy clear plastic tip onto the fatty wow what a difference. After that it took a week of trading my tips back and forth messing with my coil and I have finally got it right 2.4 and now it's a great vape. I never thought my tip could make a difference.

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
Why Brandon? Sure, drip tip hole size is going to change the pressure drop and velocity through the drip tip. But assuming you don't go small enough so you can't handle the pressure drop (by sucking harder), I don't see this changing the vape. The coils will still see the same air flow.

You are kinda on the right train of thought; they will see the same AREA of air flow. However, if the smallest internal cross sectional area of your drip tip does not match or exceed the combined area of your air hole(s), your air hole(s) are seeing a reduced rate of air flow (volume per second, or speed at which the air is entering the air hole(s), which ever way you want to look at it).

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
dont forget about the laminar and turbulent flow in tubes....

That is a good point. In my Trippy Tip Doughnut there is obviously a more turbulent flow. For the most part drip tips are straight and fairly short, so we can call it negligible in most cases. The short stainless steel flat tip I have is a better tip for my setup than the Cherry Vape Ming (~4.5mm ID vs ~3.0mm ID respectfully) (both are straight).

I want to know more about this. Care to share?

Where a turbulent flow tip can help is if you are still getting a harsh vape with a proper sized drip tip, and you don't want a long drip tip. Something like a Trippy Tip Doughnut can help cut down on the harshness by "blending" the air and vapor together better. This creates a less dense throat feel because of the "blending" action of a turbulent flow pattern. The density will still be the same just not in smaller, more dense, and laminar like streams. For an image representing this Google: "laminar vs turbulent flow"

Last edited:

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
Just thought I would add some information based on my resent experiences.

I have notice that drip tips that are made out of a low thermally conductive materials have a tendency to have more vapor condensation in them.

Mathematically this makes perfect sense as materials with a low thermal conductivity stay cooler which increases the condensation effect (like a cold class of water outside on a humid day vs a warm glass of water). The opposite is true for materials with a high thermal conductivity.

Below is a link to a chart of thermal conductivity for different materials.

You can also use this information to see what materials will stay cooler for those of you that like your drip tips to stay cool or have a problem with drip tips getting too hot.

Thermal Conductivity Chart

Aluminum, Brass, and Copper are some of the highest thermally conductive materials commonly used for drip tips.

Stainless Steel and Titanium are some of the lower-middle ground thermally conductive materials commonly used for drip tips.

Glass, Plastic, and Wood are some of the lowest thermally conductive materials commonly used for drip tips.

Hope this information is helpful. :2cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread