Dropv topside Mod, juice spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Disaster, pulled the squonk tank on my Topside while horizontal and soaked the mod. The display went crazy with false burns. Pulled the battery and did a partial disassembly (top open) and used compressed air, then sprayed electronic cleaner in and another dose of air. The mod was now randomly scanning the display settings so I tapped forcefully on all sides until the display was steady, trying to displaced the juice from the components inside. After a bit I found that hits to one side caused a stable display I then place the mod sans battery and squonk tank into a small oven set to 75C and let it soak for 90mins. 2 Hours and it is acting normal in all respects....hope it lasts.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Disaster, pulled the squonk tank on my Topside while horizontal and soaked the mod. The display went crazy with false burns. Pulled the battery and did a partial disassembly (top open) and used compressed air, then sprayed electronic cleaner in and another dose of air. The mod was now randomly scanning the display settings so I tapped forcefully on all sides until the display was steady, trying to displaced the juice from the components inside. After a bit I found that hits to one side caused a stable display I then place the mod sans battery and squonk tank into a small oven set to 75C and let it soak for 90mins. 2 Hours and it is acting normal in all respects....hope it lasts.
Have you had it a long time? Maybe you can get a replacement? If not and it quits for good it’s a good reason to buy the dual topside, just trying to find a silver lining.

On a side note has anyone tried this spray? Not just on a mod but any electrical device? Just curious if it’s effective or not. Seems like it has the possibility to be very useful on mods. Break it down when you get a mod and spray the board with this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RZSI1YM/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Reactions: stols001

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Have you had it a long time? Maybe you can get a replacement? If not and it quits for good it’s a good reason to buy the dual topside, just trying to find a silver lining.

On a side note has anyone tried this spray? Not just on a mod but any electrical device? Just curious if it’s effective or not. Seems like it has the possibility to be very useful on mods. Break it down when you get a mod and spray the board with this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RZSI1YM/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_10?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
The spray sounds a lot like good old WD40. I have been using the Topside for 6 weeks, it died today so I put it back in the oven and will continue to try for a rebirth....all in all this Mod has been disappointing. The battery lid is not secured well and drops the battery...many times. The fill system looks good but really is fiddly, the bottle lids are only loose press fit, not pocket safe. No, the Topside Dual is not for me, the reviews look good put you need to live with the product ...decided to go for a Vandy Vape Dual Pulse Kit.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
The spray sounds a lot like good old WD40. I have been using the Topside for 6 weeks, it died today so I put it back in the oven and will continue to try for a rebirth....all in all this Mod has been disappointing. The battery lid is not secured well and drops the battery...many times. The fill system looks good but really is fiddly, the bottle lids are only loose press fit, not pocket safe. No, the Topside Dual is not for me, the reviews look good put you need to live with the product ...decided to go for a Vandy Vape Dual Pulse Kit.
after i saw review (second review) from topside designer, i decide not buying, i can't believe designer blame on user when design fault ...

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
The second oven trip did revive the mod, however this lasted for only an hour when it just shut down. The electronics must be still coated with juice so I have decided to to soak the mod in alcohol(ISO) for a day or so and hope for the best....nothing to lose, I believe there is a good chance the mod will recover. If this works at least we may learn something...like never soak your mod in juice?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The second oven trip did revive the mod, however this lasted for only an hour when it just shut down. The electronics must be still coated with juice so I have decided to to soak the mod in alcohol(ISO) for a day or so and hope for the best....nothing to lose, I believe there is a good chance the mod will recover. If this works at least we may learn something...like never soak your mod in juice?
I’ve found that it’s not just mods that don’t fair well with liquid on their internals but pretty much all electronic devices. So hopefully this thread gets a lot of attention and we get the word out. DONT GET ELECTRONICS WET.
Oh and good luck with your alcohol soak. Alcohol has worked wonders for me in the past so I have faith it will work for you too. ALCOHOL.....The wonder drug that works wonders.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
No, the Topside Dual is not for me, the reviews look good put you need to live with the product ...decided to go for a Vandy Vape Dual Pulse Kit.
Well that 510 used on the Pulse 80 is horrible. I have one and it leaks horribly between the RDA and the 510. Same attys work fine on other squonkers like GBOX, Lost Vape Therion BF, Topside, etc. I haven't purchased another Vandy Vape product since then. :(

• Optimistic

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Well that 510 used on the Pulse 80 is horrible. I have one and it leaks horribly between the RDA and the 510. Same attys work fine on other squonkers like GBOX, Lost Vape Therion BF, Topside, etc. I haven't purchased another Vandy Vape product since then. :(
Hopefully the pulse 2 has improved, if I have a problem I think a thin gasket would work...shame as it appears to be a good design.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Update, The Topside has been soaked in iso alcohol for 24hrs and then blasted with air and is now working. The display is clear and all seems normal.
I have notice online and viewing You Tube that some users have been having similar problems with the topside and some have said that just lying the mod on it's side overnight cause the bottle to leak and gum up the electronics? My problem was self made when I tried to catch a falling battery when I had the bottle half way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread