Dry burning coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crayfishx

Oct 18, 2013
Malaga, Spain
I've read the various posts about this on the internets but they seem to be to offer differing degrees of risk. A widely circulated post from a chemist suggesting that dry burning coils to clean them should be avoided because of the risk of inhaling oxidized particles makes perfect sense, but I still see that many if not most RDA/RTA users here seem to continue to dry burn - so what is the general consensus amongst vapers on this issue right now?

I re-wick my RTA's every 4 days or so, and when I do I always dry burn my coils, scrape, burn again, and dunk under running water to clean them up before putting the new wick in... I've been running the same coils like this for well over a month now.

I realize that health studies and knowledge is a bit of a moving target in the vaping industry but just wondered what the experienced RTA/RDA users were doing and how much real risk do people feel is associated with dry burning?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't know if there's any real consensus. Partly it depends on what type of wire one is using. Nickel and titanium should probably not be dry burned. Kanthal, nichrome, and stainless steel are more likely OK. Think about it: Do people worry about inhaling bad stuff from a toaster, hair dryer, or other device that has glowing red wires as a source of heat?

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I'm wondering if dry burning stainless steel has more or less negative effect compared to kanthal and nichrome. As they were designed to be heating elements versus stainless, I've assumed they may be least affected.

There's probably a number of in depth threads here, I've just been lazy!

Reactions: stols001

crayfishx

Oct 18, 2013
Malaga, Spain
I don't know if there's any real consensus. Partly it depends on what type of wire one is using. Nickel and titanium should probably not be dry burned. Kanthal, nichrome, and stainless steel are more likely OK. Think about it: Do people worry about inhaling bad stuff from a toaster, hair dryer, or other device that has glowing red wires as a source of heat?

True - but I generally dont stick my hair dryer or toaster up to my mouth and inhale - maybe it's just me :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think there is a "general consensus" about dry burning and its effects, as the study of metals in vaping is kind of "ongoing." I guess there have been some reports of leeching, and some metals more than others.

I do think everyone agrees that say, dryburning titanium or nickel isn't a good idea, as overheating those wires does give off harmful byproducts, seems to be the consensus, and even running them in wattage mode is completely unadvised. I would probably think that those now using titanium and nickel aren't dry burning their wire (unless ill informed.).

As far as kanthal, I haven't necessarily heard that dry burning it is harmful. Although, it's good to keep in mind that kanthal is a "blend" of other materials, so it may contain trace elements of other metals and etc., so to be on the safe side one might be better off gently pulsing and cleaning the wire.

Same with SS, it's not entirely clear where the jury stands on that one, although there are reports that overheating SS wire can give off undesirable by products when heated. I usually use SS in my builds and I scrub my wire with a toothbrush, and during the process of cleaning, I will gently pulse, but not completely "heat" my SS to insane, glowing red temperatures. I usually also swab it gently with a q-tip (the interior, and under the coil) as I gently pulse.

It may take a smidge more time, but I actually think my wires get as clean or cleaner than a simple dry burn, and there's no reason (for me) not to err on the side of caution, as I use rayon so it's not like I'm rewicking as frequently. I figure erring on the side of caution is reasonable, but I also don't freak out if I ever "over pulse" my wire and it gets a bit heated, etc.

So, I'd say probably no general consensus (other than nickel or titanium) but you should probably do what you feel comfortable with, based on what (admittedly limited) information is available. Etc.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread