Dual battery mod for super low ohms builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
Just to add to the 'regulated mods care about watts, not resistance' bit, here's a handy formula.

The watt limit of any regulated mod setup is:

Battery CDR * number of batteries * 3.2 v * 0.9

So for a dual battery mod using Samsung 30Qs, you'd have:

15 A * 2 * 3.2 v * 0.9 = 86 watts

The 3.2 is the average cutoff of most regulated mods. You're pulling the most power when your batteries are discharged, so you use the voltage at the bottom of the charge for the calculation. The 0.9 is for board efficiency. You lose a little power operating the board and the mod itself, as well as during the power conversion a regulated mod performs.

IS THIS TRUE??? First I've heard of this...

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't think so. It's usually recommended to use the 4.2 volts of a fully charged battery in the formula. At the very least, one could use the nominal voltage of 3.7 volts. Using 4.2 volts and the 15 amp Samsung 30Q would be 2 x 45 watts = 90 watts total.

Admittedly, the 88 watts isn't that far off from 90 watts in this instance.

Last edited:

Barruel

Apr 18, 2014
Spain
I don't think so. It's usually recommended to use the 4.2 volts of a fully charged battery in the formula. At the very least, one could use the nominal voltage of 3.7 volts. Using 4.2 volts and the 15 amp Samsung 30Q would be 2 x 45 watts = 90 watts total.

The formula gives numbers very close to the ones you posted. They are just a bit lower (or more conservative, if you like it better) than yours, but that's not necessarily bad, specially when we are talking about safety.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The formula gives numbers very close to the ones you posted. They are just a bit lower (or more conservative, if you like it better) than yours, but that's not necessarily bad, specially when we are talking about safety.
It's more critical to be more conservative with mech mods and Ohm's Law calcultions. With a regulated mod, you have protection circuitry to help keep you from harm's way.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Only downside so far with the Profile is liquid (and cotton) economy. I'm dripping much often than I usually do with my regular coils. It's the toll for the flavor boost, I guess.

I have found that cotton (wick) lasts A LOT longer with the Profile. Just pulled the wick off one of mine moments ago. 2+ weeks and no sign of scorching or collapsing. With a regular coil/wick setup and the juice I have been using this would have been 3/4 days tops before a rewick. A full Koh Gen pad with outer layers removed works well with the Profile. Have several in rotation for both squonking and dripping – great RDA! But they are juice guzzlers!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

Just to clarify, it's true of regulated mods but NOT of mech mods. Think about it this way: A regulated mod set to 85 W will provide 85 W whether the battery is at 4.2 v or 3.2 v. To maintain the 85 W as the voltage drops from 4.2 v to 3.2 v, it'll have to pull an increasing amount of current from the battery. Therefore, it's pulling the most current when the battery charge is lowest.

If you're wondering where the formula is from, it's from Mooch. Here's his explanation: Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

With a mech it's a different ballgame. You use 4.2 V because you're actually getting more power when the battery's fully charged than you are when it's discharged, so the current is at its peak when the battery is fully charged.

Barruel

Apr 18, 2014
Spain
I have a spoon of 200 grade SS mesh (from Vandy Vape), but it is too wide for the Profile and requires some trimming. I don't feel like messing with that right now, but I'll try it in the future.

Finally tried the SS mesh.

Surprisingly enough, I ended up with a higher resistance than the one I've got with the included kanthal mesh pieces. These sat at 0.17 ohms and the one I built with the SS mesh sits at 0.21 ohms. The pieces are almost the same size.

TC is working fine. The only difference I noticed so far is that SS mesh is softer than kanthal mesh, so extra care is needed when placing under the mesh the big amounts of cotton this RDA needs. I had to cut a new piece of mesh because the cotton destroyed the mesh the first time I tried to put it into place.

Also, I'm thinking that flavor is even better with SS, but that might be me being overly excited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread