DV Hylton

Status
Not open for further replies.

0xDeadC0de

Dec 24, 2010
Colorado
It arrived today! Along with my new drip tip. Yay!

I had to add this. this is my first review, uhh, ever, and I just made this batch. I've heard as flavors age they can change (They definitely can get darker). I'll try to keep track of how this one changes.

So Nick O' Teen's take is similar "in the background" to the awesomevapors version, but not nearly as sweet at the door. There are a lot of different variables though, and with the right tweaking I think I could find what I had tasted before.

I started at 10% flavor concentrate, in a pure VG based ~15mg/ml juice, and couldn't taste _anything_ at all.

So, "add more drops!" ~20 or so later (Which will put it up to around 25%, i measured the 10% but not after), I can taste it for sure.
I want to say it has a hint of chocolate, and the classic Decadent Vapor peppery tobacco taste on the top of my mouth. I'm not a flavor expert, and can't tell what all the nuances in it might be.
For a lot of people I'm sure it's a really good thing to not be very sweet, but I wanted that sweetness I found with awesome vapors.

After trying Hobby Lobby and Michaels first, and seeing their entirely disappointing selections of Wiltons Almond, Wiltons butter cream, and Wiltons vanilla (yeah both had the exact same selection of nearly nothing), I noticed the smell coming from a natural foods store next door to Michaels. I went in, and found the baking & extracts section. It was littered with stevia, powdered, in VG and grain alcohol, in VG with natural flavors and grain alcohols. I bought a 60ml bottle of Now brand stevia in VG and grain alc. that was 'dark chocolate' flavored. I put 5 drops of that into my 10ml batch, and it has brought out the sweetness without overpowering it with chocolate. I may even add more later, but I'm liking it very much as is.

In the end, I don't think either DV Hylton or Chocolate stevia is my preferred flavoring, but that store had a ton of other stevia based flavors (All around $8 USD for 60ml), that I'm sure I'll be slowly trying as I can afford to get more. For now this will do.

Not a 10 star, but not a 0 either. I'd say the Hylton, to me, is a 6/10 for flavor.
7 or maybe 8 out of 10 with the added sweetness of stevia. it doesn't make a HUGE difference, but it's noticeable.

NOTE:
I did use a completely brand new atomizer that I only blew out the primer for this initial review. If my opinion changes after I break in the atty I'll post a follow-up.

For those who just want some numbers:
3/5 :vapor:
3.5-4/5 with stevia.

GEEK NOTES, I just measured..
------Short--------
Total liquid: 11.8ml
(These two amounts are exact)
5ML 15% distilled water + walmart glycerin.
4ML 36mg/ml juice (~12.2mg/ml)
(These two are derived from total liquid left and a little guessing)
2.4ML Hylton (~20.34%)
.4ML Stevia and a small menthol crystal (~3.39%)

------Long----
8*5=40
sweetener content in flavoring (Stevia and menthol, approx, not precise. 10 drops in 11.8ml total juice of stevia and one small menthol crystal)
(.4 / 2.8) * 100 = 14.2857143%
(.4 / 11.8) * 100 = 3.38983051% of total

Total Flavoring content in juice (~14% is not hylton anymore, the rest is.)
(2.8 / 11.8) * 100 = 23.7288136%

Hylton flavoring content
(2.4 / 11.8) * 100 = 20.3389831%

Nicotine % and glycerin not from flavoring(As accurate as my inaccurate syringe)
(4 / 11.8) * 100 = 33.8983051% Nicotine based VG
(5 / 11.8) * 100 = 42.3728814% 15% distilled water, 85% VG

Nictotine content mg/ ml
36 * (4/11.8) = Cmg of N
36 * (4 / 11.8) = 12.2033898mg/ml

Last edited:

0xDeadC0de

Dec 24, 2010
Colorado
I said I'd follow up, so here it is.

I've gone through just over half of the 10ml flavoring bottle, using the same recipe as above (with only 5 drops of the stevia) and well.. I love it. It doesn't really taste different even being aged, but it's grown on me more and more every day. I'd give it a 4/5 without stevia and 4.5 with now. Now if I can only find a DIY recipe for making the flavor I'll be set.

The only thing I've noticed is the liquid in my atomizer gets pretty black after a few days of usage, but I'm thinking that's more due to the stevia - which isn't straight stevia, I bought it from a health food store pre-mixed with VG, natural chocolate flavoring, and grain alcohol.

I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread