ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
More junk "news"...

The title states:

"E-cigarettes contain up to 10 times carcinogens: Japan research"
(As if ALL our devices are dangerous)

And the text tells us that:
"In one brand of e-cigarette the team found more than 10 times the level of carcinogens contained in one regular cigarette"
(So, it seems the problem appears in only ONE of the several brands used in the study)

This piece of news crap had it's origin on a study. (http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/11/11192/pdf).

Somewhere, the study clearly states that

"Four (J, K, L, and M) out of the 13 e-cigarette brands did not generate any carbonyl compounds"

Almost one-third of the examined samples did NOT even generate those compounds...! :facepalm:

Now, let's take a look at the study's conclusion, shall we ??

""Studies have shown that e-cigarettes emit toxic carbonyl compounds, generated from thermal decomposition. These substances can have adverse health effects; however, in most cases, the levels are lower than those in tobacco cigarette smoke. It is important to expand the research in this field, to better understand the source of carbonyls emitted from e-cigarettes and find ways to reduce them."

How did it go from "in most cases, the levels are lower than those in tobacco cigarette smoke", and "four out of the 13 e-cigarette brands did not generate any carbonyl compoundsto", to "[all] e-cigarettes contain up to 10 times carcinogens" ???
Can't "reporters" read anymore? Some of them surelly can't write well, but damn, just reading should be easier... :mad:

Because of this crap, I had already some explaining to do this morning to some of my co-workers. Some of them were "worried", asking me if I had heard the "news" about my device.

Had to download the pdf, take e quick look at it, and explain that like in many previous studies already made in the past, the conclusion on this one also states that there are LESS emissions from an e-cig than from a regular cigarette. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
The good Doctor Farsalinos posted on his blog a rebuttal of this already today.
E-cigarette aerosol contains 6 times LESS formaldehyde than tobacco cigarette smoke

Interestingly, while all news-media discuss about carcinogens (plural), the text mentions only formaldehyde. To tell the whole truth, this “substance found in building materials and embalming fluids” is in reality present everywhere in the environment, in every house, in every city, town, village, urban or rural area. So, all the noise in the newsmedia is about one carcinogen, not some carcinogens. Moreover, the title is nothing but misleading since they found the formaldehyde at “10 levels higher than cigarettes” in 1 of the 10 products tested, not in every case.

SthrnCelt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Columbia, SC
Can't "reporters" read anymore? Some of them surelly can't write well, but damn, just reading should be easier... :made in the past, the conclusion on this one also states that there are LESS emissions from an e-cig than from a regular cigarette. :facepalm:

The problem is that news media is the propaganda arm for government and well funded, agenda driven entities, not to mention the personal agenda of reporters and editors. It's the media's audience which is the problem. Not everyone has your skills for discernment. I think a good estimate would be that for every story like this where there are obvious logical fallacies that a person will pick up on there are three more who will swallow the tripe and spread it to their low intelligence friends, and so on. Examples of this are in tv and print media all day, every day.

As for this particular "study" the truth will be these people's downfall. There are just too many vapers in the world to squash them with lies.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Noticed our national newspapers picked up on this story today. Fairly annoying as it's clearly sensationalist mumbo jumbo. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for research and I'm not one to shoot down any indicator of e-cigs not being the next step on the evolutionary ladder.

However, let me paint a little parallel scenario.

"Ground beef kills!"

That would be a nice equivalent. Sometimes, however rarely, a batch of ground beef (or chicken) contaminated with i.e salmonella reach consumers' hands. We don't get headlines like "Ground beef kills!". We get headlines like "PSA: Ground beef made by company X with expiration date Y is not to be consumed."

I for one would love to know which e-cig manufacturers make products that contain/produce carcinogens not found in others.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Ohmageeeezzzz

My dang husband printed this out and handed it to me this morning...SERIOUSLY :facepalm:

Anybody else immediately get the mental image of Classy rolling up the printout and swatting the husband like a bad puppy? :lol:

Of course they can. But they will write what fits their agenda.

Or sells papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread