Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
so my backup charger is an Efest Luc 4 which I bought to charge batteries larger than the 18650s which my other charger won’t accommodate.

Any ways the issue I’m having is that is very difficult to get my new 21700 Samsung 48G batteries into the slots without them getting chewed up. Anyone else this problem. And finally a suggestion for a charger that will accommodate large batteries without destroying the wraps

Thanks

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
@Fidola13 a, I ended up getting the XTAR Dragon VP4 Plus. It has PLENTY of room for 21700s.

I was making due with other chargers I had, but was having similar issues like you. It was a very tight fit. I felt like I was stressing the charger and/or damaging my wraps.

The Samsung 48Gs are a weird animal though. Not only is the bottom just slightly depressed, the edges at the top of the 'can' extend further than the contact does on the positive end. Essentially the top is depressed as well.

This hasn't affected me using them in any of my mods yet (Cut, Squeeze 2, LV Mirage), but some chargers don't like making contact with the top. I have some of those magnets for batteries, I attach one to the top when charging them in my XTAR. Plenty of room for this, but the 48G still doesn't like making a connection in my charger without them. The positive connection on the charger sits on the top of the battery can/wrap without using a magnet. Guessing this would be really bad if it eventually wore the top of the wrap out.

I don't have this issue with the Samsung 40Ts. It's just the 48G. Be careful your charger doesn't wear a hole in the top of the wrap. And inspect the tops regularly even in case the mod rubs on the tops. I'm starting to wonder if it would be safer to charge them in a mod that makes a good connection with the recessed positive end.

I'm a lower wattage vaper, the 48G is a good cell for me in that regards. However, I'm not sure I will purchase any more of them due to the positive contact being recessed like it is.

Last edited:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
@Fidola13 a, I ended up getting the XTAR Dragon VP4 Plus. It has PLENTY of room for 21700s.

I was making due with other chargers I had, but was having similar issues like you. It was a very tight fit. I felt like I was stressing the charger and/or damaging my wraps.

The Samsung 48Gs are a weird animal though. Not only is the bottom just slightly depressed, the edges at the top of the 'can' extend further than the contact does on the positive end. Essentially the top is depressed as well.

This hasn't affected me using them in any of my mods yet (Cut, Squeeze 2, LV Mirage), but some chargers don't like making contact with the top. I have some of those magnets for batteries, I attach one to the top when charging them in my XTAR. Plenty of room for this, but the 48G still doesn't like making a connection in my charger without them. The positive connection on the charger sits on the top of the battery can/wrap without using a magnet. Guessing this would be really bad if it eventually wore the top of the wrap out.

I don't have this issue with the Samsung 40Ts. It's just the 48G. Be careful your charger doesn't wear a hole in the top of the wrap. And inspect the tops regularly even in case the mod rubs on the tops. I'm starting to wonder if it would be safer to charge them in a mod that makes a good connection with the recessed positive end.

I'm a lower wattage vaper, the 48G is a good cell for me in that regards. However, I'm not sure I will purchase any more of them due to the positive contact being recessed like it is.

You know now that you mention it I wonder if it would be better just to charge it while in the mod also. Obviously this isn’t something I do with external battery mods but in this case it might be a great idea to save wear and tear on the battery. Only thing is keeping the micro usb connection from breaking. Maybe one of the proximity magnet thingys I’ve seen people mention that FT sells.

What is this magnet that you’re using in the charger. I agree I won’t buy these again. I only bought it because it was Mooch approved. I should have read some reviews from users first. Live and learn I suppose.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
My battery magnets came with some old 18650s I picked up years back. Stuck them on the fridge and forgot about them until I was having issues charging the 48Gs.

It is a good battery, but they arent charger friendly. I haven't had issues with other 21700s, even other Samsungs. The 48G is different at the positive end.

I picked up some magnetic micro usb chargers on Amazon. I like plugging them into mods whether i charge or not. Keeps pocket lint and the like out of the micro usb.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
My battery magnets came with some old 18650s I picked up years back. Stuck them on the fridge and forgot about them until I was having issues charging the 48Gs.

It is a good battery, but they arent charger friendly. I haven't had issues with other 21700s, even other Samsungs. The 48G is different at the positive end.

I picked up some magnetic micro usb chargers on Amazon. I like plugging them into mods whether i charge or not. Keeps pocket lint and the like out of the micro usb.

Perfect I didn’t know what those things were called. And I’ve got amazon prime so that’s what I’ll do with those Samsung batteries until I either replace them or get a charger that doesn’t eat them. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread