Ehpro Lock Build-free RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Lock rda from Ehpro. The Ehpro Lock Build-free rda was supplied for the purpose of this review by Emma from BuyBest.

https://www.buybest.com/product/Ehpro-Lo...59855.html

Introduction

The Lock RDA is a build free (with the option to build) RDA from Ehpro. I have seen the word innovative floated around a lot with this RDA but not sure exactly how Innovative it really is as we have seen the slot in notch coil with the Notchcore from Joyetech, but here we see the idea used with an RDA which also includes a BF pin and the option to do a simple postless single coil build. This makes the Lock RDA possibly the ideal product to make the transition from using stock coil tanks to RDA,s, squonking and then starting their own builds.

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Lock RDA
1 x 510 Drip Tip Adapter
2 x 0.2ohm SS 316 Notch coils
2 x Hex screws
1 x BF Pin
1 x Allen Key
1 x User Manual
Cottons
O-rings

Aesthetics

The Lock RDA comes in boxed packaging with viewing window allowing me to see i had received the Blue version (which is a metallic blue) before opening the box. The other colours available are Black, Rainbow and Stainless Steel, all colours are pictured with a honeycomb Black 810 drip tip but the one that came with mine is Grey rather than Black, a 510 adaptor is also included if you prefer a 510 drip tip. The top-cap has a double nut shape and is attached to the sleeve, this nut design gives loads of grip to pull the sleeve off and adjust the airflow. The Lock as dual airflow which is a line of 3 what look like 2mm holes, on the front of the RDA is an etched logo and "LOCK" etched underneath. Finally moving to the base we have etched branding, safety stamps and serial number, the Lock comes with a pre-installed protruding, Gold plated standard 510. The RDA looks good i particularly like the double nut design at the top, the finish looks durable and build quality seems very good.

Lock Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 28mm
Type: Single Coil RDA
Material: Stainless Steel
Drip Tip: 810
Innovative press-style coil installation
Compatible with regular pre-made coils
Nut-style top cap
Honeycomb 810 drip tip
Side direct airflow system
Regular 510 pin and BF pin included
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Stainless Steel, Rainbow, Blue

The Notch Coil

The supplied coils are SS 316 0.2ohm which are recommended at between 30w and 50w. They are solid metal at the ends where they lock into the positive and negative cradle but if you hold one of them up to the light they are almost transparent as the gaps are far wider than the thin metal which is a noticeable difference to other notch coils i have seen where the metal is wider than the gaps. As well as being fitted and wicked very easily the fact the Lock is obviously aimed at somebody getting their first RDA and won't have pre-wound coils or bits of wire lying around i feel a tub of 5 rather than just the 2 should of been included (the extra units sold would of comfortable offset the cost). Because only the 2 are included i am pleased to see the coils as low as $4.50 for 5 which again is excellent for someone just starting to venture down the RDA path.

Airflow

There are 3, 2mm holes in a line either side of the outer sleeve, on the deck we have 2 walls either side that has the same matching holes so the sleeve can be turned to have all 3 holes fully open or part open. You can turn further as the walls are extended to have just 2 or 1 of the holes each side open or even part of 2 or 1 of the holes open but doing this will result in only having a section of the coil receiving air so when i used it i always had varying amounts of all 3 holes open. Looking at the air holes in the deck they angle downwards and the air comes out the holes on the inner side of the walls lower hitting the bottom half and underneath the coil, this angle stops liquid and any possible spitting coming through the air holes.

The Build Deck

I have already described the airflow on the deck so on to how the Notch coil fits. There is a positive and negative post which both look like the opening of a spanner to act as cradles for the coil to sit in, in fact it's a perfect fit and the coil locks into place. You just place the coil in position on top of the cradles and with even pressure both sides push down and straight in place the coil goes (so easy) then just wick as normal which is very forgiving. At the base of the 2 cradles there are post holes and nice sized hex screws go in from the sides so a single coil can be fitted in the same way as on a postless deck. I must admit i only used the Notch coil but by holding your coil in place with a coiling rod or small screwdriver by placing it in the spanner like cradles it really looks very simple to fit a coil you can then use the cradle as a good guide for positioning your coil. Because of the cradles only coils with ID of less than 4mm (4mm at a push) can be fitted.

My Experience Using the Lock

I used the Lock with one of the supplied notch coils and really enjoyed the experience, Ehpro recommend the coils at between 30w to 50w but i used it right up to 65w before the vape started to get quite warm but those that like a warm vape there still seemed more scope for going higher as the flavour was still decent. I settled at 50w where the flavour was no better (between 40w and 65w to me the flavour seemed the same) but was a cooler vape. For someone giving an RDA a first go the flavour is very decent and will at least match anything they have tried before but once they move on (if they want to) and start popping in something like a staggered fused clapton they will get better flavour. The notch coils along with decent flavour give loads of cloud production, it didn't take long to set off my smoke alarm which doesn't manage to tell the difference between vapor and smoke. With the airflow just being 3 holes rather than a slot i was expecting a very restrictive DL vape and it was restrictive but nowhere near as much as i expected and used the airflow about three quarters open to get the restriction i like, it was also very smooth. I took the wicking out and removed the notch coil then switched for the BF pin before refitting the coil and re-wicking and found the lock with Notch coil to work great as a BF RDA. One thing to mention which is very petty as most get thrown straight in the bin because they are useless is that there was no screwdriver included to change the 510 pin.

Conclusion

A great gateway into the world of rebuildables, giving decent flavour and plenty of cloud.

Pros

Nice looking
Innovative
Well made
Ideal for first RDA
Lock in place Notch coils
Postless single build
very easy build (it looks)
Good airflow control
No leaking or spitting out airflow holes
Notch coils cheap
BF pin included
510 adaptor included
Decent flavour with notch coils
Loads of cloud production

Cons

Notch coils don't give as good flavour as your own build would
Limited ID with own single build
Only 2 notch coils included (if they can be bought for as low as $4.50 for 5 must cost pennies (cents) to make, throw a few in the package)
A Godsend to most no blue screwdriver?

I would once again like to thank Emma from BuyBest for supplying the Ehpro RDA for the purpose of this review.

https://www.buybest.com/product/Ehpro-Lo...59855.html

• Informative
Reactions: CagedSpam

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Very interesting looking RDA. Since the notch coils are 316 SS I am curious how well they would perform in TC. I might have to give this one a try.
I still have it on top of a squonker given it a go from time to time and the more i use it the more i thing i didn't give the flavour enough credit, the flavours still all there as well still on the first notchcoil. I had too eyed up it's SS and going to put the standard pin back in and see how it goes using the replay feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread