• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Electronic cigarettes do not damage the heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevofar

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Wasaga Beach, On
The researchers found that smoking one tobacco cigarette led to significant acute myocardial dysfunction but electronic cigarettes had no acute adverse effects on cardiac function. Smoking a tobacco cigarette had important hemodynamic consequences, with significant increases in systolic and diastolic blood pressure and in heart rate. In contrast, electronic cigarettes produced only a slight elevation in diastolic blood pressure. Dr Farsalinos said: “This is an indication that although nicotine was present in the liquid used (11mg/ml), it is absorbed at a lower rate compared to regular cigarette smoking.”

This is why We do what we do.......:)

From: ESC | About the ESC | ESC Press Office | ESC Press Releases | Electronic cigarettes do not damage the heart

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Awesome news! It's good that now we have at least a preliminary clinical study of the effects of electronic cigarettes vs. tobacco cigarettes on cardiac function. The results are extremely promising and show, at least from this small but consistent sample set, that E-cigs are orders of magnitude safer than tobacco. Not that it's anything we didn't already know in the abstract, but getting more specific information like this through actual clinical tests by actual cardiac researchers, just strengthens our position and gives us more specific details on how and why they're safer.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
i don't believe that in full, i know if i've vaped too much my hearts beating like a scared rabbit

Depends on the strength and amount you vape as well, though. In this sort of clinical study they probably paced and measured everything very carefully -- so many seconds between puffs of either cig or PV, for example -- and they stuck with a single 11mg liquid. Plus, as ever, your mileage may vary and everyone is different; your particular physiology might make you more susceptible to the effects of nicotine. I too know that if I vape too strong a liquid for too long I start getting random heart palpitations -- but then I also get occasional fasciculations, so the heart palpitations are probably related to that, so my own personal physiology is different still.

The takeaway message from the study though is that, in general, and broadly, nicotine consumed through an electronic cigarette appears to be significantly less harmful to the cardiovascular system than when taken through tobacco cigarettes

SoUnique

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Onatrio, Can.
My room mate had a heart attack last fall & was in the Ottawa Heart Ins. for a week. They are all about getting peeps off the analogs & using any other nic replacement. From what we got from it, it's the smoking that is life threatening, not the nic.

I do agree with what Mindfield said about the nic strength and amount of vaping we do.

From personal experience, since quitting smoking & switching to a PV, I have used my asthma inhaler once in the last 7 months and am off all my high BP meds. My Dr told me to keep on doing exactly what I've been doing.

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm glad we finally have some advocates in the medical profession.

I saw an interview with Dr. Farsalinos on Youtube (a recording of one of the vape shows in which he talked about this study actually), and he said he converted from smoking to vaping during one of his preliminary studies between e-cigs and regular cigs after reviewing the results.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #25: Proof Positive - YouTube

Edit: There's the link to the interview. It's long, but interesting.

Last edited:

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Tis a bad day when the only research done on e cigs and truthfully presented is from out of our country.

Perhaps a comment on how many researchers in the US are bought and paid for by pharmaceutical companies making NRT's and long term smokers disease treatment drugs. They fear e cigs will damage their profits, and are seeing that already. So they buy researchers to say the opposite, or hedge on the side of harm.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
i don't believe that in full, i know if i've vaped too much my hearts beating like a scared rabbit

My heart beats like that if I watch certain music videos (pretty much any of Rihanna's, for example). Are you telling me THAT'S bad for me TOO? Please - say it isn't so. :blush:

Scott Blake

Jul 2, 2012
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Mine does that when I vape a higher mg liquid. For instance, if I vape a 24mg liquid, you can peel me off the walls! It's almost like I am having a panic attack. I had to caution myself and go to an 18 mg. It still speeds me up a little, but not like the 24mg did, and I got the same satisfaction and actually, a better flavor.

troncellot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
North Carolina
More physicians need to be aware of info like this. My son, who is 18, recently had a routine physical. He told her that he does not smoke, but must have mentioned that I vape. He was told, "Well, I guess that is better, but electronic cigarettes still have a slightly lower risk of cancer and heart disease." I am gathering info to confront her with.

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
this interests me as i am going through something currently. i cant tell if im having heart palpitations or if my esophogus is twitching or wat the heck. ive laidoff the vape this past week thinking that perhaps it was at the very least contibuting to this ne feeling, but im still getting them. ive worn the monitor of 48 hours, had an ultra sound done on the heart, ecg from my doc er rooms at the hospital and all say the everything looks within normal ranges. frustrating as i dont feel normal. My doc want me on atelenol as my heart is on the higher side (mid to high 90's). but i dont like how i feel when im on it...plus im only 35, i dont want to start that just yet unless i have too, plusnpnemof the Er docs said questioned in his own words, why the hell your doc put you on those is beyond me...

i have a feeling i have gerd and just twiching in general from other body parts ( eye lids, lip every once in a while). my bp is alson within normal range (average is 130/85).

i miss the vaping i tell ya... thelast juice i tried was some organic stuff and had some alcohol in it..wonder if vaping alcohol is an issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread