ever have one of those "if it's not one thing, it's another" mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
San Francisco
I guess it's because of sentimental reasons but I can't seem to get rid of or part out my very first 5v box mod. I've since gone on to making several solid reliable 5v boxes but something about the first one keeps making me think i can fix it. At first it was working perfect at assembly. Then when I epoxied just the atty connector it into the box, nothing. then suddenly working perfectly. Then it started to work for a few seconds then died. Flicking the kill switch seemed to reboot it. Then suddenly no atty action but the light blinked fine. A couple taps made it work again, telling me there was a loose joint somewhere. But honestly all the solder and short length wires is making me think a total rebuild. All in all it was a great learning tool. :p

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Could be the pos post of your battery not making proper contact. Trustfires are notorious for this is some box mods. The tabs that hold the contact point in the box are running interference with the contact, as they sit against the shoulders of the batts, preventing a positive contact. I went through the same problem as you.

duby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
atlanta
Need a few more details on how you built your mod. Are there caps? What switch?, What reg?
Check all your soldier joints for continuity/resistance. You can use the current configuration of your multimeter to short past potential problem points and narrow it down as well.
Battery contact issue may be a problem, but I don't see how that would fire your LED's but not your atty.
Really, I need more info to be more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread