Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I don't think anybody is questioning the fact that Rob makes the perfect squonker. I have two of them a Grand and an LP and they have been problem free and produce a great vape. But the concept of Rob putting together a kit that would hold an SX J chip, especially in a resin to me is pretty damn nice.

If the chip dies I can pull it and drop in a new one. I have a few TP mods and like them a lot and a REOS TP squonker when be pretty slick.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Rob could always take the Reo Grand body, and make it so that you can use the KICK or KICK 2
with an 18650. That might be as far as he goes though. I don't see him designing anymore Reo Grands to the point of being totally dependent on electrical components to function. As we all know, he stopped designing the VV Reo Grand because the point of failure was so high.

If you want a chipped VV Reo Grand, talk to Rob about getting the original Reo Grand (Not LP), and put the Kick or Kick 2 in it. I think you have to use 2 18490 batteries. You'll have a VV Reo Grand! If the chip were to go out, you'll still be able to use it as a mechanical mod... until you find another chip. :cool:

Everything sounds good on paper, ...that is... until it gets out in the field, and it encounters rain, snow, heat, humidity, and normal every day abuse. Hey, wait! We already have something that can handle all that! You can drop it in the bottom of a lake, and still use it. It can even take extreme abuse by Super_X. Let's not redesign the wheel. It's rolling along just fine. :thumb:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Rob could always take the Reo Grand body, and make it so that you can use the KICK or KICK 2
with an 18650. That might be as far as he goes though. I don't see him designing anymore Reo Grands to the point of being totally dependent on electrical components to function. As we all know, he stopped designing the VV Reo Grand because the point of failure was so high.

If you want a chipped VV Reo Grand, talk to Rob about getting the original Reo Grand (Not LP), and put the Kick or Kick 2 in it. I think you have to use 2 18490 batteries. You'll have a VV Reo Grand! If the chip were to go out, you'll still be able to use it as a mechanical mod... until you find another chip. :cool:

Everything sounds good on paper, ...that is... until it gets out in the field, and it encounters rain, snow, heat, humidity, and normal every day abuse. Hey, wait! We already have something that can handle all that! You can drop it in the bottom of a lake, and still use it. It can even take extreme abuse by Super_X. Let's not redesign the wheel. It's rolling along just fine. :thumb:

Further to this, you can already use a kick with a grand. You just need something to stabilize the kick (a cut eraser works) and use a 18490 battery. Also, the VVG can be converted by Rob to hold either a 18650 plus spacer or a 18650 plus kick (obviously, this is moot if your VVG is still working fine).

The downside? It's a kick.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Papa, I didn't know you could use a Kick with the LP.:eek: It's a little shorter than the LP, but thanks for clarifying that you can. Should make some folks happy to know they have options.

Sorry to read about the chip in your vehicle costing so much to fix. THAT's one expensive chip!! And you probably have no choice but to replace it since it's a vehicle. :cry: It's a shame auto companies rely so much on electronics. I just want something to get me there and back home.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Papa, I didn't know you could use a Kick with the LP.:eek: It's a little shorter than the LP, but thanks for clarifying that you can. Should make some folks happy to know they have options.

Sorry to read about the chip in your vehicle costing so much to fix. THAT's one expensive chip!! And you probably have no choice but to replace it since it's a vehicle. :cry: It's a shame auto companies rely so much on electronics. I just want something to get me there and back home.

Ah, I think you mean the SL? The extra holes in the body might introduce some instability for the kick, I suppose. The LP would be fine (just the catch cup is affected).

Yeah, the chip going on the car was a downer. One of those "sell the car and take a bath or pay the money to get the car back to where it was 2 days ago" situations. Charming. And the warrantee was up... you guessed it... 2 months ago.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Sl models are fine with kick.. I've tested it like a few months ago for someone on the forum.

People I think are not understanding what's being talked about here.. we're not talking about changing the reo as it is. Just adding a chipable reo kit for those that want it for the resin reos. Doing so will only be good for us all as it will bring more people to the reo.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Sorry about the car, Papa. I empathize.

I've been hit with broken A/C, orthodontist and car repair all in the last 30 days. Car and A/C alone was 4,400. I barely had that much in savings.

Just try to forget about the repair if you can. Positive mental vibes and all.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I don't personally understand what one means when they say it will be good for us all if more people come to the REO. How and why? Good for Rob's business - sure, more business is good - but it's up to him to decide if he wants or needs to get it that way.

I don't personally like using trendy items - if everybody was using REOs, it wouldn't change my use of them but it wouldn't be the same feeling. Not that we're some elitist clique, don't get me wrong. I don't mean it that way at all.

ETA this isn't an argumentative post, I sincerely would like to know how more people coming to REOs would be good for us all.

Reactions: sjoat

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
I don't personally understand what one means when they say it will be good for us all if more people come to the REO. How and why? Good for Rob's business - sure, more business is good - but it's up to him to decide if he wants or needs to get it that way.

I don't personally like using trendy items - if everybody was using REOs, it wouldn't change my use of them but it wouldn't be the same feeling. Not that we're some elitist clique, don't get me wrong. I don't mean it that way at all.

ETA this isn't an argumentative post, I sincerely would like to know how more people coming to REOs would be good for us all.

Will be glad to try Tim.

I began with a Blu ecig from Walgreens; ordered the kit afterwards. Replacement filters were expensive, and batteries were too weak. Sent it back. Got a Vea from Johnson Creek. Could fill up the 1ml cartomizers, but was a messy experience with weak 650 may batteries. Again, replacement filters were expensive.

Got into the AGA-T2, RSST, Vamo, eGO-Twist VV batteries, and using [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#500[/HASHTAG] SS Mesh. Mesh was good, but fooling with it is a royal PITA. Drippers came after that, and it gave the absolute BEST flavor of anything I tried. Loved the taste, and the fact that you could rebuild the coil and rewick it. Carrying juice though was another PITA to eliminate. All that led me to the BEST of all - a Reo Grand.

A Reo Grand may seem expensive to the beginner, but as you learn more and more about Vaping… you’re really saving money by getting a Reo. It keeps you from spending unnecessary money on replacement heads, and cartomizers. You have to buy Kanthal, and KGD or CelluCotton, but you get enough to last for years - not weeks. I just wish someone would have guided me to the Reo Grand to begin with. Could’ve saved tons of money.

Why should everyone have a Reo Grand?
  • Taste and Flavor is better from a Dripper. Reo is a reverse dripper that holds reservoir of juice. Eliminates carry a bottle of juice around.
  • Easy to use. Just change the coil, rewick, fill with juice, insert fully charged battery… and you’re set for the day. No buying replacement heads and cartos every week.
  • Very reliable. No electronics to worry about. Strong 18650 batteries with Short Protection (Spring).
  • The craftsmanship is awesome, and the ModFather is there to help us.
  • Resell value is high. If you don't like it, list it in the Classifieds. Someone will give it a good home, and put it to use.
  • ** REOville is always open to help one another **
  • Doesn't look like a personal female device. Ha Ha!!
  • Super_X literally beat the hell out of one, and if THAT don't get your interest... nothing will.
  • Rob's Mother personally handles the shipping. She's there to give them all goodbye kisses as the Reo soldiers go out into the brave, new world of vaping.
... hope that's enough. :)

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Will be glad to try Tim.

I began with a Blu ecig from Walgreens; ordered the kit afterwards. Replacement filters were expensive, and batteries were too weak. Sent it back. Got a Vea from Johnson Creek. Could fill up the 1ml cartomizers, but was a messy experience with weak 650 may batteries. Again, replacement filters were expensive.

Got into the AGA-T2, RSST, Vamo, eGO-Twist VV batteries, and using [HASHTAG]#400[/HASHTAG] and [HASHTAG]#500[/HASHTAG] SS Mesh. Mesh was good, but fooling with it is a royal PITA. Drippers came after that, and it gave the absolute BEST flavor of anything I tried. Loved the taste, and the fact that you could rebuild the coil and rewick it. Carrying juice though was another PITA to eliminate. All that led me to the BEST of all - a Reo Grand.

A Reo Grand may seem expensive to the beginner, but as you learn more and more about Vaping… you’re really saving money by getting a Reo. It keeps you from spending unnecessary money on replacement heads, and cartomizers. You have to buy Kanthal, and KGD or CelluCotton, but you get enough to last for years - not weeks. I just wish someone would have guided me to the Reo Grand to begin with. Could’ve saved tons of money.

Why should everyone have a Reo Grand?
  • Taste and Flavor is better from a Dripper. Reo is a reverse dripper that holds reservoir of juice. Eliminates carry a bottle of juice around.
  • Easy to use. Just change the coil, rewick, fill with juice, insert fully charged battery… and you’re set for the day. No buying replacement heads and cartos every week.
  • Very reliable. No electronics to worry about. Strong 18650 batteries to use.
  • The craftsmanship is awesome, and the ModFather is there to help us.
  • Super_X literally beat the hell out of one, and if THAT don't get your interest... nothing will.
  • Resell value is high. If you don't like it, list it in the Classifieds. Someone will give it a good home, and put it to use.
... hope that's enough. :)
Ok. That was preaching to the choir :)

I think the point of my question was missed but I'm not gonna clarify. It's not important, but thanks anyway.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA

Rob said sales are slow.. mentioned in the past ecf seems to not be enough to sustain the business.

A ton of people are using chipped devices and prefer that.. mech scare of the crap out of them or there intimidated or don't want to take the time to learn everything to make there own coils for the level of vape they need or want so they stick with easy to use chipped mods. These are also newer vapors!

Squanking is finally really taking off.. so people thst want chipped devices will look past the reo cause its not regulated and buy another box bf device that is.

How many of you heard someone go from an ego to a provari?? Tons.. there only go a want or feel comfortable or look with a regulated device. If they want to jump on the new bf crave it's gona be some bf regulated device.

So just imagine all those users and more thst see they can buy the top of the food chain bottom fed box mod thst can be regulated! Crap ton of sales for rob! Crap load more free advertising online and word of mouth sales.

More people coming to the reo = rob staying in buisness longer = more mods in the future for us correct??

We're a small niche in the ecig market.. chipped reos will bring in the masses.

I'm sure from there some will learn to understand the true value of a all mech device and uy a mech reo in the future for a back up! :)

Also I'd like to say that I feel with the popularity of tank users it was god sent that rebuildables took off! Bread all new life into reos.

And remember were not talking about rob dropping the reo as is.. we're talking adding a regulated option kit to the line up just like there was a vv reo back when. Which was awesome back when but 12 watts dont cut it with today's regulated devices runing at 50 watts.. not even a kick 2 at 15 watts can compete.

Even Phil mentioned he can't wait to see the future of the reo.. meaning he wanted and felt there should be a regulated model. He prob has a pretty good idea of the market out there.

So I see it as a total win for rob if he chooses to.. and for us! Whatever keeps reosmods around longer has to be good for us!

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
It seems that this topic gets raised every couple months and the same thing happens each and every time, it becomes a thread of bickering over what one vaper thinks another needs... These are pretty much my take on things and my opinions and if I offend anyone with my comments, know it was never my intention to do so.

With the knowledge I have gained in rebuilding all my atty's and the use of RxW, all things TC are for naught... I don't have a problem with hitting the resistance I require and I "NEVER" burn my wick, (unless I am dry burning to clean), and even then it doesn't burn!! Not to mention the RxW lasts on average of 3+ months depending on the build or my own boredom to try something new!!!

I too, am very happy with the Reo Grand in its current mode. The "only" thing I would change about it would be to have the top of the device flush all together like the new mechanical Woodvil. That is it... Sure it would be nice to have a little more juice on board, but the 9ml bottles have taken care of that part. 26650 batteries imo are over rated. I have a 26650 squonker and it does get a little more run time, but in reality how long does it take to change out a battery on a Reo? I do think the weight factor for a 26650 Reo would turn a lot of folks off as well. The Grand is already heavy enough as it is.

As far as the debate about what chip to use, it is pretty much a toss up at this point. The DNA's have been failure in my opinion since day 1... The SXJ is relatively new and if one takes the time to research them they would find that YiHi has had problems with their chip as well!! Is it better than the DNA's? The answer so far would be yes, but there is still that failure problem at "some point". Then you need to send the device back to have it fixed. That seems to take a while from what I have read to this point. The only failure I've had with my Grand has been user error and that was easily corrected. I have back up springs and firing pins in my vape box if needed and with the addition of the new 510's the Grand IMO has become more versatile and bullet proof.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I won't debate the pros and cons of regulated mods whether it is a Reo or not. It is interesting to discuss but at the end of the day not having a chipped Reo won't make Reosmod's any less the bottomfed mod leader in the vaping community. :)

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
All that's needed is to venture over to the newbie forum and you'll see real quick what everyone is talking about.. I've gone threw it recently enough on that forum when I had to get 15 posts out of the way to get to here.. trying to advise people to look at a reo seemed like a lost cause.. felt like I was pushed out of that forum haha.

I know what's best and you know.. but they don't know it yet and there's still people thst know and still prefer a chipped device.

Ask me 2 years ago what I wanted in a device and it would of been a regulated bottom fed reo! That dream came true for me when Rob released a reo with the buzz pro vv chip.

My wife and I friend is still using my black reo vv grand after I sold it to her over a year ago. She's still using 510s and seems scared to death with rebuildables. She loves the vv grand but don't want to bother making her own coils. Set it at 5v with a 2ohm 510 and is happy.

Reactions: RuDawg7890

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I hope I wasn't misunderstood. I have nothing agsainst seeing a Reo chipped. As a matter of fact my Tesla was a VVW and since I had no LP Reos prior to this last sale I bought a Geyscano admittedly because I needed a LP mod to try out attys and the fact that it was a regulated bottomfeeder was just a plus.....and they cost less then $70. Btw it has no purpose these days. ;)

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
A new vapor is very hesitant to spend the $250 to $350 or more a regulated bottom feeder would cost. Most newbs would also probably not be interested in a DIY chip mod.

The truth is Reos will never be liked by everyone no matter what you do to them. Squonking isn't for everyone. Lots of people just prefer the simplicity of filling a tank and vaping. I love my Reos but sometimes I'm so lazy I just don't want to squonk so I always have regulated mods with tanks in rotation as well as my Reos.

Rob knows all this and doesn't see it worth his while to pursue a regulated mod. He had one for a good while and it didn't make that much of a difference.

I actually have a regulated bottom feeder and quite honestly I like my new Woodvils better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread