Expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Just a personal opinion, but I pretty much ignore expiration dates on everything. I certainly wouldn't be concerned by a few months on vape liquid. Now, if you had caught that while still in the store, you could certainly argue for a discount or a more recent vintage.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Agreed. As I understand it, expiration dates on ejuice are arbitrary. We lack good data on when various things break down. It's really a matter of what you're comfortable with; you'd be fully justified in taking it back to the shop, but if it were me I'd probably just vape it (as long as it tastes OK).

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I picked up a bottle of ejuice from a local shops today.Just realized the bottom of the bottle says best by 1/20.I taste great but is it safe to use?The juice is air factory custard craze 6mg.

Also picked up a bottle of juice head strawberry kiwi 6mg.I imagine that’s what vaping a pixy stick taste like.Way way too sweet.
Hi wren,
Return to the shop and inform them of the "mistake". Ask for a replacement bottle of that juice for free.

Vape shops that I have visited are NOT permitted to sell expired products.
Expired, non saleable products can be given away for free and I have received many bottles as a good will gesture while buying other items. (USA and Spain)

If the shop is unwilling to cooperate, a call to your local trading standards/health department or licensing bureau should result in an unwanted inspection and audit.

Of course the juice is fine to vape, but IMO, it's sale to a consumer was illegal.

Cheers
I

WrenZ71

May 8, 2020
If it tastes fine (and isn't making you sick but it sounds like the strawberry might be) and it's not cloudy nor has and strange things floating in it you are probably just fine.

Anna

Nothing nasty floating it’s a nice clear honey color.Taste great and is not nearly as dark as the other brand of custard I vaped.As far as the strawberry kiwi it’s far from expired just extremely sweet.

WrenZ71

May 8, 2020
Hi wren,
Return to the shop and inform them of the "mistake". Ask for a replacement bottle of that juice for free.

Vape shops that I have visited are NOT permitted to sell expired products.
Expired, non saleable products can be given away for free and I have received many bottles as a good will gesture while buying other items. (USA and Spain)

If the shop is unwilling to cooperate, a call to your local trading standards/health department or licensing bureau should result in an unwanted inspection and audit.

Of course the juice is fine to vape, but IMO, it's sale to a consumer was illegal.

Cheers
I

Yeah I think I’ll swing back by there after work and see if they are willing to make it right.Worst case they will lose my business. There are lots of shops in my area so I’ll just move on to the next one.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
I probably wouldn't bother taking it back. I mean, how much money is involved? especially if it's still good. I would be more alert at the time of the sale.

In my opinion i would definitely take it back,not really about the money it is more of a matter of principle.
Him not returning the item and making them exchange it for another e-liquid not expired or just the money back sets a precedent that they cannot operate this way and get away with it.

Otherwise they might think it is ok to do that when in reality it's all on them,they need to be put in check and realize they gotta do their job properly.

But then again that is just me,nothing wrong with letting it slide,to each it's own.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I probably wouldn't bother taking it back. I mean, how much money is involved? especially if it's still good. I would be more alert at the time of the sale.
IMO, it's not about the money, it's about keeping them out of legal trouble for selling out of date products intended for human consumption.

Ever get a stale pack of Pall Malls or Lucky Strikes from a low traffic gas station? Horrible, dry, falling out of the tube, crackling when lit lung busters...Blech!! but I digress.

You (op) are looking out for them. They may not be aware they have expired product and should know better than to sell expired goods.

Cheers
I

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Ever get a stale pack of Pall Malls or Lucky Strikes from a low traffic gas station? Horrible, dry, falling out of the tube, crackling when lit lung busters...Blech!! but I digress.

I hear that! When I used to smoke non-filters, it was very common to get stale non-filter cigarettes because very few people smoked them. So after a few times I would squeeze the package slightly. If it was crunchy, I would not buy them - that crunch means they are stale!

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    Just realized the bottom of the bottle says best by 1/20.
    Wait.
    This is NOT an expiration date. It isn't dairy or meat.

And to the makers, it means, "It's best if you vape this by 1/20, so you can get back here and buy another!" And I'll bet the makers of the juice don't believe that date either. I'm not sure if it's a law, but most consumables are somehow dated. A "best by " date is more agreeable to the maker than a manufactured date, since it's in the future.

Especially if it is not cloudy, vape on. Check your stuff before you leave the store, but I'd have no concerns about vaping it. Future purchases at that store, maybe... ;)

And it's possible the store owner bought out some stock from unfortunate brothers in states like New York.

Nothing wrong. Just enjoy your vape, and be happy you are free to buy these "flavors."

Reactions: stols001

DaveOno

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Dutchess County, New York
    I took it in after work and showed him.He said what the heck I just got this delivery in not that long ago.He apologized and offered a refund or exchange.Took the exchange on a different juice.He earned a repeat customer.
    Nice. I'm glad there are good vape store owners. Most I've met have been more than nice and helpful.

I'll admit, I have a bunch of juice that is 2, 3, 4 years old. If it has gotten really dark, I'll toss it. But most of them are fine, imho.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread