FedEx not shipping e-cigs to India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaimmin

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Mumbai, India
Greetings All,

I've gotten 8 18650 batteries, 2 RTAs, some replacement coil heads, and a RX200 delivered to a friends place in NJ. The items are worth around $200 and it weighs around 3 lbs which is around 1.5 kgs and can easily fit into a small to medium box. I'd asked him to ship it to me via FedEx or DHL, but the lady at the FedEx told him that they will not be able to ship, and that they don't ship tobacco products!!!

My questions:
Was she just bull....ting?

Is there any kind of law or policy against shipping electronic cig related products internationally?

Can these items be shipped to Mumbai from the US without any problem?

Are there any battery safety concerns/policy I need to know if I'm shipping them internationally?

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Greetings All,

I've gotten 8 18650 batteries, 2 RTAs, some replacement coil heads, and a RX200 delivered to a friends place in NJ. The items are worth around $200 and it weighs around 3 lbs which is around 1.5 kgs and can easily fit into a small to medium box. I'd asked him to ship it to me via FedEx or DHL, but the lady at the FedEx told him that they will not be able to ship, and that they don't ship tobacco products!!!

My questions:
Was she just bull....ting?

Is there any kind of law or policy against shipping electronic cig related products internationally?

Can these items be shipped to Mumbai from the US without any problem?

Are there any battery safety concerns/policy I need to know if I'm shipping them internationally?

I was going to ship an RDA to a friend in the Netherlands. As soon as i said eCig tge lady cut me off and said you cant ship those. So i went to another post office and shipped the damn thing2without saying ejuice or eCig.

Basicly it is the Lithium Ion batteries. People have bought fakes and they burst in flames.

I was at a ups store yesterday ans someonr shipped a thing with li_on batteries and the person at tge counter stuck a warning label on the parcel and shipped via ups. You may try that.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
but the lady at the FedEx told him that they will not be able to ship, and that they don't ship tobacco products!!!

Repeat, "they don't ship tobacco products". That's what "the lady" said...let's not misinterpret that as "they don't ship batteries".

If she said that, either complain to FedEx about it (good luck) or use another carrier. USPS doesn't mention ecig related products anywhere in their prohibited items pages...
Shipping Restrictions | USPS
While on that page, check out the regs for international shipping of lithium batteries. They can be shipped if conditions are met, but I do recall there being a limit of 4 cells per package when I shipped to Mexico. I also recall being instructed by the clerk to install the batteries into the mods, though why I don't know (maybe because USPS knows that the mods will provide an explosion containing net of magic if they vent in transit? :) ). I wrote "electronic device" on the customs form, checked "gift", did this 2x and both shipments cleared Mexican customs and arrived to mi amigo without incident.

My big concern was Mexican customs, because the status of ecigs there is totally confusing. Last time I checked, they were still considered prohibited, yet you can buy gear and domestically produced eliquid online, there are vape shops, Fasttech ships there without problems etc. But that's crazy wonderful wild west Mexico, where you can receive package after package clearly marked "eliquid" from Estefeta and Redpack (domestic shipping companies), whose websites clearly list ecigs as prohibited items. Go figure.

So I think your greatest potential hassle will be Indian customs. Have you checked to confirm ecigs aren't prohibited?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaimmin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread