feeling frustrated of my vaping hardware...plx help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi guys, I've been vaping for 1.5 year.
My first tank is Melo tank 3 mini, it uses pre-made factory coil and never have leak problems.
Then few months ago I bought The Troll RTA, and I'm not satisfied at all, I build it with 26G Nichrome wire, 6 wraps, dual coil, vaping at 30-40W. It makes BETTER cloud but the flavor is not there comparing with the Melo 3 mini. I went to few local shops and they all said my build is perfect. I've also watched numbers of youtube videos....
Then I felt disappointed and bought the The Serpent RDTA, I build it with 24G Nichrome wire, 7-8 wraps, single coil, vaping at 30W. It makes less cloud comparing with Melo and Troll but the flavor is same with The Troll.....

Is it normal that factory coil tastes WAY BETTER than homemade coils? I don't think there is any problems of my build because I've showed many friends already. And now I'm switching back to the Melo. I'm a huge flavor guy and not happy with The Troll RTA and The Serpent RDTA. What should I do???

Score on these atomizer (only based on flavor)
Melo Tank 3 mini: 8/10 I can basically vape the taste same as I smell the juice
The Troll RTA: 5/10
The Serpent RDTA: 5.5/10

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I'm not familiar with those tanks (I use RDA's mostly. I have only 1 RTA and it's a Voltrove). I'm going to answer your question on the coils. You asked if it was normal for pre-made coils to taste better than coils you make yourself. I find it completely opposite. I think coils I make myself have a lot better flavor compared to pre-made coils.

I'm sure someone with experience with those RTA's will chime in here soon and give you their opinion.

I hope you get it figured out sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RainSong

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm not familiar with those tanks (I use RDA's mostly. I have only 1 RTA and it's a Voltrove). I'm going to answer your question on the coils. You asked if it was normal for pre-made coils to taste better than coils you make yourself. I find it completely opposite. I think coils I make myself have a lot better flavor compared to pre-made coils.

I'm sure someone with experience with those RTA's will chime in here soon and give you their opinion.

I hope you get it figured out sooner than later.

Thanks buddy! I like your profile pic, so cool :D

Reactions: Wheelin247

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Thanks buddy! I like your profile pic, so cool :D

No worries. My pleasure.

Thanks. I'm flying a sailplane (wind powered glider). I'm paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair, I got hooked up with a group that takes disabled flying. I was flying the glider at the time the pic was taken. It's def dun that's for sure.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
What is the resistance of the coils you're making?
Is there a reason you're using NiCr instead of kanthal or SS?
Have you tried various power ranges, like starting off at say 15w & gradually increasing?

There are many variables in building that contribute to flavor production.
Wicking, coil diameter, coil mass, coil position in relation to deck & airflow to name a few.
Hard to say which one is the culprit without details & a few pictures.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I was feeling the same way about stock coils until I discovered TC mode and SS coils. I would make kanthal coils and never seem to get the same flavor with them. Using SS in TC mode had defiantly made the difference IMO and that's all I make now. I still will use kanthal time to time, but I think TC can make a huge difference.

Reactions: Eskie

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Do rebuildable coils have less flavor? No, but they are obviously harder get right. A factory coil is easy, you just pop it in and your good to go, but doing your own coils is an art form and takes much experimentation. There is a balance and if that balance is out in any way , the vape suffers and you will notice it. Just the wicking alone can be a matter of a few strands and if its slightly too tight or slightly too loose, the vape will sufffer. coil position is also a balance, like too close to posts, too close to outer edge, too high, too low all play a factor. Then the coil itself, if it's too big, too small, spaced, contact, too much mass, not enough wraps, etc etc......and each tank can react differently, so getting to know each tank can matter in the type of build. there are a variety of things that must be in balance and it just takes time. It's a hobby to rebuild but once you get it, it really isn't that hard and the results will be the best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is it normal that factory coil tastes WAY BETTER than homemade coils? I don't think there is any problems of my build because I've showed many friends already.

Taste is very subjective ... if you really like what the factory coils in that atty makes your juice taste like then it could well be hard to improve on it. There's nothing wrong with that, it just is what it is :)

There is definitely a learning curve involved in getting a rebuildable atty to do what you want it to do for you. For me it generally takes more than one coil build to get there plus a bunch of tweaking the wicking and airflow, and some atties just don't do what I want them to in which case there's no way to get there. There are a bunch of upfront variables in the picture too ... you have to chose an atty that performs well in the power range you want to vape at, it has to have the characteristics you want and you need to understand how to design your builds (coil and wicking) for that atty so it works well for your preference. Having friends who vape is really great, but to be really useful they have to know how to get your vape to do what you want it to do.

And now I'm switching back to the Melo. I'm a huge flavor guy and not happy with The Troll RTA and The Serpent RDTA. What should I do???

There's nothing at all wrong with the Melo. Vape it if that's what you like and it's working for you :thumb:

If you find there is something missing from that vape experience and want to learn how to improve on it, let us know what you want to change and we'll try to help. Vape on my friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread