Filling Cartos - What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, been vaping for a few months and love it. Haven't had an analog since! But I'm having a problem filling cartomizers and wasting alot of juice. I have the KR808s from litecigusa and use the dropper method just dripping into the cap end. I usually have encounter 1 of 2 problems when I fill:

1) I fill too much and juice leaks out of the battery end. I know it's not because of overfilling bc it will happen on a new carto 10 drops in and if I vape it will taste burnt. I've tried everything (only few drops at a time, twisting the carto when i fill) but this always happens and it leaks out the other end.

or

2) I overfill, the carto is soaked and i suck in juice when i vape. Obviously this is from overfilling from I feel like I never know when to stop. Sometimes it will appear filled and soaked then after 5 mins of vaping it will be burnt. So I keep filling and boom juice falls out and/or im sucking juice in.

It seems simple enough but I'm really having trouble with this. I'd prefer to stick with the drip method bc I dont want to deal with syringes. But any advice would be helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's entirely possible that the cartomizers that you are using are of bad quality. By that, I mean that the polyfill material is just not absorbant enough to hold adequate e-liquid; after a few minutes of vaping you finish what juice did get absorbed and then you are just burning the filler. Once that happens, you'll never get rid of that taste.

I know you said you used the 808-threaded types. What brand are they? Are you using these solo or in a cartotank?

I've not tried them, but I've heard good comments from users of the Kanger cartomizers 5 pc. Empty Kanger Horizontal Coil Cartomizers for 808. Smoktek also has 808-threaded cartos 808 Cartomizers
as does Smokeless Image Smokeless Image | The Best Electronic Cigarette
____

Let me share how I fill my cartomizers. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

This is how I pre-fill my cartos for my cartotanks, but the process is exactly the same for filling a solo cartomizer. I use part of a wooden tooth pick to plug the center air channel. Therefore, when you are finished, there will be no need to blow the carto out or have to taste the juice in your mouth.

I do the thermometer shake method. I drip juice into the carto until it looks wet. Then I shake it like a thermometer. This simulates the action of a centrifuge, forcing the liquid toward the bottom of the carto where the heating coil is. Then I add some more liquid, and again shake the carto. I repeat this until the filler material looks like a wet slushy drink and will accept no more e-liquid. Remove the tooth pick and add your drip tip. Ready to vape.

Don't be afraid to top off your carto with additional juice while you vape. Unfortunately, being that cartos are steel cylinders, we can't directly see the level of the juice, so we have to continuously add more juice as we vape.

Consider trying some sort of tank delivery device like a Nano clearomizer that is clear so that you can see your juice level to best determine when to refill. http://smokelessimage.com/filter-tips/clearonano/nano-cartomizer.html

DiscountVapers.com_Vision_Nano.JPG
____

Using the correct resistance (ohm) carto is important, too. If you are using a cigalike or plain eGo battery, a 2.0 ohm or higher carto might be recommended. A lot of vapors will use LR (low resistance = less than 2.0 ohm) to simulate the heat of an analog, but to others that will be too warm and seem harsh.

Last edited:

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
Is this the style where there is a cartridge with poly fill that is separate from an atomizer? If so, I had a style like that and could never really find the sweet spot with getting them consistent. I upgraded fairly quickly after struggling.

EDIT: What he said above me...I do the thermometer shake method too. It seems more reliable for me, and I like the ritual of drop and shake, drop and shake....

Last edited:

jkd916

Jun 4, 2013
Kansas
I love my clearomizers! They are so, so simple. Stick a toothpick in, fill, remove the toothpick, replace the cap, and vape! Literally takes me about 30 seconds. Vapor Kings has them for roughly $13 for a 5pk. Cartomizers get on my nerves. Once I received my clearomizers and tank, I never looked back. Clearomizers fit perfect on my cig-a-like for going out (last all day at work) and the tank works perfect for lounging around the house all day vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread