Finally finished my new stand!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slickcdb2000

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2011
Winnsboro, LA USA
Worked on this thing almost all day yesterday! It is made from some very very old wood that came from my late great grandmothers house that I helped tear down years ago. My grandpa kept a bunch of the wood, I put some to use! It's 4 tiers, holds most of my daily use stuff. I cut and lightly sanded all my boards, Drilled them, then glued them together. When everything was together I took a grinder and wire wheel and sanded the newly cut edges to make them look a little older. Coated it with some satin polyurethane, glued some leather on the bottom of it and call it done! Cant really see it in the pics the some of the wood rotted, when I took the wire wheel to it it took the rot out and left with good wood. There is a very distinct texture in it. I'm very very happy with the outcome, although the poly glossed it up a little more than I wanted. How do ya'll think it turned out?

tabumy7y.jpg

Before the polyurethane, I would have left it like this but had wayy too many splinters!
yza4a6e2.jpg

Last edited:

O'Face

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Indianapolis, IN USA
Worked on this thing almost all day yesterday! It is made from some very very old wood that came from my late great grandmothers house that I helped tear down years ago. My grandpa kept a bunch of the wood, I put some to use! It's 4 tiers, holds most of my daily use stuff. I cut and lightly sanded all my boards, Drilled them, then glued them together. When everything was together I took a grinder and wire wheel and sanded the newly cut edges to make them look a little older. Coated it with some satin polyurethane, glued some leather on the bottom of it and call it done! Cant really see it in the pics the some of the wood rotted, when I took the wire wheel to it it took the rot out and left with good wood. There is a very distinct texture in it. I'm very very happy with the outcome, although the poly glossed it up a little more than I wanted. How do ya'll think it turned out?

tabumy7y.jpg

Before the polyurethane, I would have left it like this but had wayy too many splinters!
yza4a6e2.jpg

You sure you've never done much wood work ;) Looks great, and the history makes it yours! Double win :)

slickcdb2000

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2011
Winnsboro, LA USA
Nice stand! Here's one I made last weekend. View attachment 207177

That stand looks awesome!!! What is it made out of? Looks like some kind of marble or something?

You sure you've never done much wood work ;) Looks great, and the history makes it yours! Double win :)

Thank you! I have done a little, but my work never turns out very good!! This was one of the few exceptions, lol!

Looks very nice, been wanting to do this for my gear also. What did you use to cut the squares out for your boxmods?

Thank you. I used a jigsaw to cut them out. Put the reo down, made a line around them and went to cutting.

slickcdb2000

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2011
Winnsboro, LA USA
Thanks for the reply, I understand better now that I took a closer look at the tiers. Time to make my own!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Your welcome. You can go to home depot and buy a set of wood hole bit for like 10 bucks. It come with about 15 or so sizes. Dont know if they will last very long, but it lasted this project!

This is beautiful!!!! Truly turned out great, and because it was made from wood from your grandma's house and you crafted it, it is a special heirloom now!!! Awesome! :)

Thank you!!! That's what I wanted. It already has sentimental value! I wanted the "reclaimed" look to it as well. I knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but with the reclaimed/old look you can hide mistakes very easily! Not to mention I coulnd't really find a perfect stand for what I wanted. Most all the makers make them out of exotic woods, which I really didn't need. So I saved a good bit of money and got exactly what I wanted!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread