First attempt at a homemade dual 18650 box mod! It's a wooden BEAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Hi guys, this is my first homemade box mod, and since I've recently preferred using 26650 battery mods/28.5mm atty's, I have some 18650's that are just sitting around!

SO! Instead of letting them sit there on my desk...betrayed and alone, I decided to build a dual 18650 wooden box mod with all homemade parts, besides the 510 connection, and the firing button. For these two I'm using my favorite top cap, and all-time favorite button (chi-you stealth top cap, and Turtleship V2 firing button, all silver contacts). The bulk of the battery circuit is made of some thick 100% copper sheet-metal, all hand cut and formed, the batteries are held in place by the natural springiness of the copper, aided by some neodynium magnets to hold them in contact (as simple as I could possible make it, trying to get an awesome voltage drop rating. To make the entire box, I did it "amish style" :lol:, no power tools used whatsoever, just some elbow grease, and various hand tools. I wanted it to be like that trusty walking stick you carve with your pocket-knife.

I plan on later building a dual 26650 (interchangable series AND parallel configuration, so I can have double the volts, or double the amps with a quick switch of the contacts), but this is my "guinea pig" to get the jest of everything down, and work out any kinks I might run into.

It's fully functional and works excellently, hits hard and fast too. BUT, it's not purdy yet, I still plan on rounding some edges, sanding and finishing, and throwing in a few things to make it look better, and/or make it function better, but here it is! I'll be posting the finished product tomorrow after work, but she's vaping great now!

5BYDSr1.png

K7npbfV.png

usgkRgB.png

YlyEfvy.png

PnuTl91.png

VOZ7M6o.png

lH1X8Bw.png

She's an ugly hot glue mess right now, but MAN! She puts out like Monica Lewinski! Sucks as much juice as her too! :lol:

(Will edit later on finished product!)

Can't wait to start on a dual (parallel/series) 26650!
:vapor:

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Alright nice box mod better than any thing i could make lol. Question Why is it so mammoth? Looks like it could fit 4 batteries lol.
Also i like the use of the copper sheeting. I have a bolt mechanical mod on the way (it was 10$ wth lol) and from my understanding the switch only has 1 wire and that's the pos+ one i was planning on trying to replace the wire with very thin copper sheeting and solder that straight to pin. How is that stuff to work with

sig-153231.jpg

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Wonder if Rob's (ReosMods) first Woodvil bore a similar appearance.......???!!!:blink:
Hey....beauty is in the eye, etc.!!:)
If it SAFELY WORKS.....it's a "GO!" :D
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Hahaha I know it's ugly as sin, don't rub it in :p. Just kidding, I know it's terribly hideous, BUT I've been sanding her down, and have some laquer ready to go, so she might be looking like a pdib pretty soon (a pdib on steroids).

She performs AMAZINGLY though, if you close your eyes, it has the best button and voltage drop even (well not ever, but better than most of my copper mods!)

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Alright nice box mod better than any thing i could make lol. Question Why is it so mammoth? Looks like it could fit 4 batteries lol.
Also i like the use of the copper sheeting. I have a bolt mechanical mod on the way (it was 10$ wth lol) and from my understanding the switch only has 1 wire and that's the pos+ one i was planning on trying to replace the wire with very thin copper sheeting and solder that straight to pin. How is that stuff to work with

sig-153231.jpg

Super easy to work with :D, I really like it because it has an awesome .04 voltage drop on a .2ohm atty! If your going to replace it with copper, I'd say try and get the thickest you can, because that only helps conductivity. The longer, and thinner a wire/pathway is, the weaker the conductivity. I would've gotten much thicker, but I know this was just a guinea pig, and I didn't want to struggle with the 1/6" stuff (or buy it :p) until I know what I'm doing.

But since it's already using a wire, then a decently wide piece of thin copper would work great! Make sure when you solder it, that there's no solder between the copper and the connection, even silver solder isn't too conductive. As long as the solder is basically just holding the copper to the contact, it won't matter that it's not that conductive, as it'll go straight through the copper. Hope this helps man :)

(Oh yeah it's pretty massive because I wanted alot of room to put any springs in if I wanted too later, and I'm just too lazy to cut the wood and copper down :p. I actually really like how big it is XD, it's like vaping with a 1980's cell phone lol.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
What a beauty! She can double as an outhouse too

:lol: I spat out my drink you bastante XD, that's actually an hilarious and freakin' awesome idea! Since I don't really care about this thing, much like an outhouse, I might as well get some comedy out of it when I bring it to some local vape lounges. I could get some tiny hinges, and make the battery "door", and put one of those stereotypical crescent moons on it lmao. And I even have some acrylic glass leftover from another project, so I could cut out a small window on the side or something. Hell while I'm at it why not make a little removable roof, and have a "chimney" hole for the drip tip! I might actually report back with something funny, I'm seriously debating this hilarious/awesome idea (thanks by the way :laugh:).

The resemblence IS uncanny :lol:. The atty actually looks like a chimney coming out the top lmao.

ZNuosiV.jpg
ElsIj3b.png

Last edited:

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
:lol: I spat out my drink you bastante XD, that's actually an hilarious and freakin' awesome idea! Since I don't really care about this thing, much like an outhouse, I might as well get some comedy out of it when I bring it to some local vape lounges. I could get some tiny hinges, and make the battery "door", and put one of those stereotypical crescent moons on it lmao. And I even have some acrylic glass leftover from another project, so I could cut out a small window on the side or something. Hell while I'm at it why not make a little removable roof, and have a "chimney" hole for the drip tip! I might actually report back with something funny, I'm seriously debating this hilarious/awesome idea (thanks by the way :laugh:).

The resemblence IS uncanny :lol:. The atty actually looks like a chimney coming out the top lmao.

ZNuosiV.jpg
ElsIj3b.png

O.

M.

G!

Really? Really dude?! :D That brings back some serious childhood memories for me and I am 52.

When I was about 10-11 years old and in art class we had an assignment to make something out of clay. I made a clay outhouse that looks very similar to your box mod. About the only difference was the door was open on mine. I'll try to find a pic if I can but even if I don't, thanks for the memories treehead. :thumb:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
O.

M.

G!

Really? Really dude?! :D That brings back some serious childhood memories for me and I am 52.

When I was about 10-11 years old and in art class we had an assignment to make something out of clay. I made a clay outhouse that looks very similar to your box mod. About the only difference was the door was open on mine. I'll try to find a pic if I can but even if I don't, thanks for the memories treehead. :thumb:

Lol no problem bro :D, that's awesome, I'd like to see the coincidence myself. And yeah I think this'll be a cool way to make this ugly thing cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread