First coil build...Success!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoboman

Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY, USA
Hey guys. Been lurking for a bit and after reading a ton of info I decided to jump into the mechanical mod / rebuildable world.

I built my first coil on an IGO-L (drilled to 1.98mm), about 9 wraps of 28g Kanthal on a 1.2 mm mini screwdriver.

Smoktech Magneto
Resistance 1.0 ohms
Alphavapes - Mr Miyagi

Vapor and flavor was amazing. Thanks for helping me take the plunge

5a2agaza.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
Hey guys. Been lurking for a bit and after reading a ton of info I decided to jump into the mechanical mod / rebuildable world.

I built my first coil on an IGO-L (drilled to 1.98mm), about 9 wraps of 28g Kanthal on a 1.2 mm mini screwdriver.

Smoktech Magneto
Resistance 1.0 ohms
Alphavapes - Mr Miyagi

Vapor and flavor was amazing. Thanks for helping me take the plunge

5a2agaza.jpg

Looks great.

Put the exact same coil on the other side and it will be even better. (and pull a wick through them)

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Never even thought about doing a dual coil on the IGO-L. Will definitely give it a shot. Thanks.

Honestly I was surprised how easy it was. Tried a second single, this time sub ohm @ 0.8 to see if it was a fluke. Success again!

Just be careful if you dual coil it. Two 0.8 ohm coils = 0.4 ohm.
Can your battery handle it?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
May not look like it works, but it does, and surprisingly well. Pretty much the same principle of a cotton cloud to pull juice out of the juice well up to a wick passing into a coil. Just removes the need to thread through the coil. There are a lot of physics involved, but get the coil hot enough, the juice will try to move to the hottest part of the coil, in this case, the top. Done a quad nano-coil on a Igo-W this way at a 0.65 on a Smoktech Natural and Sigelei #5, vapes like a champ. Downside to just having the coils rest on the cotton cloud, get about 4 good hits before you need to re-drip even though the cotton below at the base of the well is still wet. Moved back to threading my cotton wick in, then tucking the fluffy end under as my cloud, get more vapes out of the same amount of liquid.

Still can't fault the micro-coil build here OP, to keep your ohms up if you go dual coil this way, add another 3 wraps for each coil, should put you around a .5 to .7 dual coil, and the wires spreading to the terminals won't distort the micro-coils into a u-shape, will be more uniform, give you more heated surface area as well as an equal burn on each side, will have to add a second air hole on the other side for the second coil though.

HawaiiVPR

Moved On
Oct 19, 2013
808 State
2r2n3ux.jpg

10gkao7.jpg

Just started toying with rebuildables too, but not ready yet to dive into the mechanical mods, so just running this igo-W at 1.8ohm off a Kgo battery. Drilled out the hole a little larger, sort of on the airy side now, but not too bad. Having heck of a time with consistency with dual coils, so just running off a single coil for now.

I seem to have better luck getting nicer coils and passing it through the posts with ribbon type Kanthal wire (32awg) than with the regular wire at same gauge.

BTW, any recommendations for a RBA that is easier to work with? (the igo-W was much smaller than I expected) Single coil setup would be fine unless you think dual coil is the only way to go. I'm not looking for sub-ohm vapor, but taste and good vapor production comparable to an iclear30-s is what I would like to have.

The igo-W as I have setup produces almost as much vapor as a Protank2 but with much better taste. (using cotton wicks in both, 100% VG e-juice) The draw is more airy on the igo-W, but realized its a result of my error with opening up the vent holes more than I needed to. (not a lung inhaler, so find myself taking multiple puffs off one draw to satisfy my vapor craving) Thanks in advance!

TheDood

Nov 21, 2013
United States
The igo-W as I have setup produces almost as much vapor as a Protank2 but with much better taste. (using cotton wicks in both, 100% VG e-juice) The draw is more airy on the igo-W, but realized its a result of my error with opening up the vent holes more than I needed to. (not a lung inhaler, so find myself taking multiple puffs off one draw to satisfy my vapor craving) Thanks in advance!

Just a thought from a noob - could you put some solder over that hole and re-drill it to be smaller?

Last edited:

adoboman

Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY, USA

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
2r2n3ux.jpg

10gkao7.jpg

Just started toying with rebuildables too, but not ready yet to dive into the mechanical mods, so just running this igo-W at 1.8ohm off a Kgo battery. Drilled out the hole a little larger, sort of on the airy side now, but not too bad. Having heck of a time with consistency with dual coils, so just running off a single coil for now.

I seem to have better luck getting nicer coils and passing it through the posts with ribbon type Kanthal wire (32awg) than with the regular wire at same gauge.

BTW, any recommendations for a RBA that is easier to work with? (the igo-W was much smaller than I expected) Single coil setup would be fine unless you think dual coil is the only way to go. I'm not looking for sub-ohm vapor, but taste and good vapor production comparable to an iclear30-s is what I would like to have.

I get the best quality warm vape w/ 14mm to 18mm RBA with single coil and 1mm to 1.5mm air hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread