Five Pawns - All Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
I just received my order of five pawns E liquid and decided to do a write up of my thoughts. I ordered the sampler which contains all five flavors they offer and got a 30ml bottle of Queenside. Based on the descriptions on their site I figured I would enjoy it the most, because I really enjoy my citrus vapes. All their liquids are a 50/50 PG/VG blend and produced in small batches that are pre steeped before shipping. There is a batch number and production date on the packing tube and on the bottles label. Also included is a tasting notes guide describing the primary flavors of each liquid.
Packaging:
Ok, so first impression means a lot and looking at this packaging tells me there is quality in here. The bottles come in sturdy, stylish cardboard tubes that have all the important product info printed clearly on the packing tube. Inside is your liquid in a clear glass bottle that actually has a glass dripper included. So overall the packaging is great. On par with AiV which in my opinion has the best packaging on the market.
IMAG0049.jpg
The Juices:
The juices I am testing are all 6mg strength. All juices will be tested in an Igo-L with 5 wraps of twisted 30g kanthal on a 100% cotton yarn wick. I am doing this because of all the various setups I have, I feel this provides the purest flavor. I eventually will try these in other drippers and genesis atomizers, but for this review they will all be tested this way. Also, all taste is subjective so something that is not for me may be for you and vice versa. I will do my best to describe the tastes I get from these.

Grandmaster: Description from tasting notes "Smooth creamy peanut butter with banana cream and balanced with velvety caramel. Buttery and smooth with a medium bodied throat hit."
This has a very "nutty" flavor with a strong caramel. The banana comes through a little but not quite enough for me. If this had a little more banana and a little less nut this would be a home run for me. As is, it's a decent vape with a cup of coffee.

Absolute Pin: Description from tasting notes "Intense complexity of Irish cream, cinnamon spice, and caramel with subtle absinthe undertones. Lively and with a medium to full bodied throat hit."
Wow, this one is something special in my opinion. A very unique flavor. The Irish cream takes the front for sure but it is complemented by many other flavors that are blended so well I cannot really pick them out. It's like a good pubs secret cocktail. I recognize many flavors going on but just cannot pin them down (terrible accidental pun here). I really like this flavor a lot.

Gambit: Description from tasting notes "Sweet and mellow ripe apple with savory pie crust and caramel. Topped off with French Vanilla ice cream and unsweetened whipped cream. Sweet and savory with a medium bodied throat hit."
I have tried a few different baked apple flavors and to be honest I have not really liked any of the ones I had tried until this point, but Gambit is pretty magic. The apple flavor is incredible. It has a juicy and sweet flavor. On the very end of the exhale I get the pie crust flavor and it is very good as well, but the real star of this flavor is the apple. I also detect some sort of spice, most likely cinnamon or nutmeg. Normally bakery flavors are a no go for me but this one is an exception. This is a flavor that I will be enjoying with my evening coffee. Another excellent flavor.

Bowden's Mate: Description from tasting notes " Crisp mint with subtle chocolate undertones and a French vanilla finish. Delicate yet soft with a refreshing tingle and medium to full bodied throat hit."
This is one cold mint chocolate chip. Another complete home run for me. The mint has a very natural mint taste that is icy cold on the inhale. On the exhale I get a dark chocolate that is exceptional in flavor. I can't say enough nice things about this flavor, it is a must try.

Queenside: Description from tasting notes "Delicate blood orange with creamy French vanilla. Light yet creamy citrus with a medium bodied throat hit."
A very strong flavor. I taste the vanilla quite a bit more than the orange. The vanilla is a very "French" vanilla flavor as well. I think I also taste very subtle amounts of hazelnut or butterscotch. This is not the super citrusy flavor I hoped for, but it is a smooth creamy flavor. Kind of like a bowl of ice cream with orange zest. Even though this was not what I was expecting, the flavor is very good. I can see this as a good late night vape and a good companion to a wheat beer.

Summary:
Five Pawns are a manufacturer that seems to have a very high bar for standards. The base to all juices I tried were top notch. Their website is visually appealing and easy to use. They have excellent packaging and very fast shipping. Of all five flavors I think Bowden's Mate and Absolute Pin stood out the most to me. Those two flavors are among the best I have tried since I started vaping. The only flavor that really did not do much for me was Grandmaster, but it was a high quality juice and I could see someone who really likes nutty flavors digging it. So, the big question is, is it worth the premium price? A 30ml bottle will run you $27.50 (shipping is free though). I guess that depends on your budget, but I know I will be ordering more Bowden's Mate and Absolute Pin soon.

Last edited:

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
Good review - how did you find the juice on your coils? Personally, I love that this stuff burns and tastes so clean. My coils are in good shape.
The twisted wire does tend to gunk up faster than single strand but so far, quite clean. They seem to use very high quality base and flavoring.

Kn0ttYFive

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Releaser of the KRAKEN
2d1p.jpg

Purchased the Five Pawns - “Castle Long Reserve.”
My order arrived, I opened it only to reveal Classy well detailed packaging. The bottle was full of blush-wine colored mystique. I opened the bottle, and the aroma was a pleasant creamy sweet-spicy, nutty velvet. This is my experience ...

Castle Long Reserve - Oaky (from the 2 months of aging in the oak steeping barrel they used) , toasty, mildly sweet holiday spice, creamy smooth french vanilla hints, with other notes I can't quite identify, enveloped in a mild Bourbon undertone. Full bodied, and rich. Layers of flavors that are very complex. It's hard to describe. This vaping experience is best compared to... enjoying an expensive aged bottle of fine wine or Cognac that one has saved for that very special occasion. It was like a holiday in a bottle. Mind-Blowingly Delicious.
You should definitely add this bottle to your prized collections. This is a nice end of day vape.

Cons: It could be just a tad bit sweeter, for my taste.

Thanks manji1 for the review on the other five flavors. It was very helpful.

Last edited:

gamebeatter

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2014
St Louis MO
I agree.. The Grandmaster i had tasted weird.. But the Gambit is awesome.. I like the sweet and nice smell from it..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Just got my sample pack in today, dripped them all to try

Grandmaster is my favorite right now I dont know why but I love that peanut butter taste
Gambit is a close second it does not disappoint

queenside is an orange that has a under tone of something I cant put my finger on

Bowden maiden is one that I do not think Il be trying again as soon as i go to inhale I get a mint taste but I may warm up to it soon

Absoulte pin is a mystery flavor to me its really hard to pin it

Really enjoyed the packaging and how they label the born on date and the lot number and who made it. its little things like that that make me happy and they followed my invoice request with drawing a funny picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread