Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The only DIY flavorings I've ever bought were back when I first started vaping. I just (in the last couple of weeks) finally started experimenting with the non-tobacco flavors. I had only bought a few. And, I'm already out of Tiramisu!!! Must buy more!

I had planned to order from HighDesertEcigs because they have both Ella and PA. They even have free shipping this weekend (if it's a large order). That's $5 on top of the ECF05 code.

But, OneStopDIY is having a 20% off sale and has really good prices on PA flavors even before the discount! Plus they have FA and HighDesertEcigs does not. Plus, free shipping if it's a large order.

They both have FW though.

I can't afford to order from both places. Not right now.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I can live without the wonderful Ella flavors that I've heard so much about.

What flavorings are best to order from PA?
What flavors are best to order from FW?
What flavorings are best to order from FA?
And, what flavors should I wait to order until I can order the Ella flavorings?

I've heard that the Ella flavors are better to use as one-ingredient mixes. Are any of the PA, FW, and FA flavors good enough as is? Or, am I going to have a lot more trouble getting the mixes to taste OK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glock Rock

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2012
Indiana
Taste is so subjective that it's hard to really point you in a good direction. Be that as it may, I've tried most of TPA's flavorings, so I'll throw what I can at you from that front. I've yet to delve into the other two (it's on my to-do list).

Grape: It's pretty good all by it's lonesome. Add a touch of sweetener and it's taste is not entirely unlike a grape Kool-aid.

Strawberry: Not my favorite strawberry, but it'll do in a pinch.

Ripe Banana: This one is awesome. Use in a mix or all by it's lonesome. It's good.

Apple: Tastes like a sour apple candy, to me. Others swear that it's a very real apple flavor, but it's very candy-esque to me.

Peanut Butter: I love this one. But then, I love peanut butter. I prefer it in a mix, but that's not to say it's bad as a stand-alone.

Watermelon: Add some Tart & Sour and you've got a Watermelon Jolly Rancher!

Caramel: This one is also pretty good. It's rich and creamy. I like Caramel, but not enough for it to be a stand-alone, but that's just me.

Black Cherry: I like this one. I feel that it's true to it's flavor, but it's a bit light. I can taste it, but only faintly.

Hypno: ...I don't like this one at all, but the wife loves it. To each their own, I suppose.

Cola: I didn't like this one at all. I know that plenty of people say that it tastes like a cola, but I'm not getting it. There's this weird spicy note to it that I just simply can't abide.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream: I really enjoy it, and I would recommend it, only with a little warning. Read their article about Diacetyl and Diacetyl substitutes. While this has no Diacetyl in it, it does have that creamy flavor, which means it has a substitute. Make an informed decision, here. It's your health and your call.

Pear: I make this for my wife all the time. It's her favorite vape. Just Pear, all by it's self. I'm not real big on pears, so I haven't tried it but she thinks it's awesome.

Green Tea: This is pretty good, but I would recommend adding some Hibiscus to it. It's a really good blend.

Milk Chocolate & White Chocolate: I think they're pretty good, but they feel kind of dry. They're missing that creamy note that I think of when I think chocolate.

RY4 Double: You'll either love it or hate it (That is, assuming that you like RY4 at all). There's really no in-between on this one. I like it, myself. It's got a strong caramel note to it. I feel the tobacco flavor is a tad weak in this, but that's something I like about it. There is no nutty note to this one.

There are plenty more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that might work well as a stand-alone. I don't have my flavorings in front of me at the moment. Remember, these are based on my tastes. What I taste and like may well be nothing like what you taste and like.

Last edited:

Yves

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Matamata, New Zealand
I also use TPA so will give you a brief idea on some of my flavours.

RY4 Double - My all day vape love the stuff as described above.

Peach - Very much like a fresh juicy peach

Bavarian Cream - Very nice on its own and also added to fruits.

Strawberry - Very like fresh strawberries a little tart to the taste.

Tiramasu - Well you tried this I love it too very good.

Milk Chocolate - ok but a little weak to me.

Vanilla - handy when I need to add to something to slightly sweeten it. Mild on its own.

Hickory Smoke - I use it in Tobacco mixes for friends adds a smokey flavour.

Jamaican Rum. - Exactly like it says good Rum flavour.

Belgium Waffle - Tastes like waffle I like it mixed with........

Maple Syrup - Very good maple flavour.

That's all I can think of at the moment will add more if I remember them. I have about 40 TPA flavours only one I have not liked was Asian RY4.

Honey - I forgot honey very nice :)

Last edited:

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
From their ad, Ella is Capella repackaged. One Stop DIY sells FA in 6 dram bottles only. Shop the sales if that is all you can do but I have gone away from buying repackaged and shop Capella direct and get my FA from ecigexpress which carries the full sized FA flavorings. I gave away my LorAnns stuff (had to use too much to get the results I wanted plus the food coloring in some of it) and now use TFA/TPA for tweaking as I had a bunch of it left.

AFAIC Capella and Flavour Art are my go to's now for the main flavors in anything. As always, flavoring preferences vary from DIYer to DIYer but I prefer simpler mixes and Capella and FA do that for me with minimum tinkering.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Yves, thank you for the list. That's very helpful.

From their ad, Ella is Capella repackaged.
Shhhh. I know. But, I thought we weren't supposed to say that out loud.

Fiamma said:
One Stop DIY sells FA in 6 dram bottles only. Shop the sales if that is all you can do but I have gone away from buying repackaged and shop Capella direct and get my FA from ecigexpress which carries the full sized FA flavorings.
Is there a problem with the repackaged? Is it not as good? But, WOW, the Capella website has better prices than I expected. Only $2 shipping and fantastic bulk prices! (once I've tried them and know what I like)

I notice that Ecigexpress has about 3 times as many FA flavors as OneStopDIY does! The only FA flavor OneStop carries that I really, really want to try is the White Grape.

Fiamma said:
I gave away my LorAnns stuff (had to use too much to get the results I wanted plus the food coloring in some of it) and now use TFA/TPA for tweaking as I had a bunch of it left.
I agree about the LorAnns. I refuse to even bother to try it. Too many issues.

I might not bother with the PA if I hadn't tried the Tiramisu. But, I love that one. And, they have SO many flavors! I wanted to try the Chai Tea, cola, and dulce de leche. Plus, PA's DK Tobacco is the only tobacco flavoring I've tried so far that I really like.

Fiamma said:
AFAIC Capella and Flavour Art are my go to's now for the main flavors in anything. As always, flavoring preferences vary from DIYer to DIYer but I prefer simpler mixes and Capella and FA do that for me with minimum tinkering.
I agree with the minimum tinkering thing. Looking at all those multi-ingredient recipes makes me feel overwhelmed and a little sick. I can handle 2 or 3 ingredients. But, anything more than that would best be avoided until I have a LOT of experience. Eventually I might try it on a recipe now and then if it's a flavor that I'm really interested in, sort of a pet project sort of thing.

djbishybish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2011
Kansas
I'll do what I suggest to people who post things like this...fill up your cart with everything you want that sounds good to you and come back and post it here. From there, we can let you know if you added anything that is generally "bad" to most people or suggest anything else based on what flavors you're wanting.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
Is there a problem with the repackaged? Is it not as good?
From One Stop DIY it is not thinned, but it is more expensive. I don't know about 'Ellas' but I look sideways at this practice by vendors.

But, WOW, the Capella website has better prices than I expected. Only $2 shipping and fantastic bulk prices! (once I've tried them and know what I like)
They have a 5 flavor for 19.95 deal if you hunt for it ;)

I might not bother with the PA if I hadn't tried the Tiramisu. But, I love that one.
FA's Tiramisu is to die for ;) Their tobacco flavors are highly regarded by the people I know who use them, use VERY SMALL amounts. I also love FA's cappucino.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Fiamma, thank you so much for the info on the Capella site! Between the B4G1 special, the 10% discount, and the $2 shipping, I can actually afford to get their flavors direct and not have to worry about the quality.

That info has also helped take away my panic about missing that stupid sale at HighDesert this weekend.

I'll do what I suggest to people who post things like this...fill up your cart with everything you want that sounds good to you and come back and post it here. From there, we can let you know if you added anything that is generally "bad" to most people or suggest anything else based on what flavors you're wanting.
An excellent idea. Now that I've calmed down a little, I'll start making a list.

I've had my grandkids climbing all over me the past few days. I also work on weekends. Just haven't been able to think straight!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
This is a very tentative list. My first order is going to be with OneStopDIY because I really want more Tiramisu right now! Besides, they have great prices on TPA and have 20% off right now.

TPA
-----
bubblegum
butterscotch
chai tea
cola / cola syrup
double chocolate
dulce de leche
hazelnut
juicy fruit
juicy peach
koolada
lemon
pear
peppermint
ripe banana
root beer
sour
sweet cream
sweetener (sucralose)
TIRAMISU
vanilla (Bourbon)
waffle
waffle (Belgian)
whipped cream
white chocolate

Flavour Art
-------------
butterscotch
desert ship
latakia
lemon sicily
peppermint
vienna cream
whipped cream
white grape
white peach

Flavor West
--------------
bananas foster
candy cane
black licorice
cinnamon roll
cream soda
double dutch
ecto cooler
fruit stripe gum
kahlua
latakia
sugar cookie
vanilla cupcake
yellow cake

I'm also going to grab my PG, VG, EM, syringes/needles, and maybe some vanillin and Tart & Sour too.

Obviously I'm not going to buy all of this. These are just the most likely. There are even some flavors in more than one list because I haven't decided which brand to buy yet.

My next order (probably in a week or two) will be from Capella. I haven't compiled a list yet.

Then my last order (in a couple of months probably) will be with EcigExpress. That's where I'm more likely to buy my Flavour Art flavorings. No list yet, of course.

The only absolute in all of this is the Tiramisu. Must have!

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
My goto place for flavorings is highdesert. Great prices and the best cs anywhere and i usually receive my order in 2 days and im across the country. HDE also has the best prices on nic and pg vg. ALL high quality. They also just got in Natures flavors which is awesome. there new site is highdesertvaping.com

My fav flavorings in order are Capellas(ellas) ,Flavorwest,natures,lorann,----------------------- TPA

vanillin ,em and HDE 5% sweetener are must haves. HDE is also cheapest on them. They sell em in powder form in a big bottle so you can have a huge supply of em for dirt cheap. just mix 3/4tsp in 30ml of pg.

Last edited:

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
A few comments...

TPA
-----

double chocolate

I've used the DC dark, DC clear, and regular DC. I like the clear best. The regular DC is similar to clear though. The dark leans toward dark, unsweetened flavor or something (I'm not fond of it), the others are more like milk chocolate.

dulce de leche
sweet cream
whipped cream

I love these for mixing with coffee, chocolate, caramel, etc..

white chocolate

This one tastes great, but seems to kill cartos quickly.

Flavour Art
-------------
butterscotch
If you happen to order from HD, I'd recommend the NF butterscotch over this. (I think it's listed under PG free flavors). The NF butterscotch is great. I wasn't impressed with the FA one at all though.

desert ship
latakia

You may like these. Many people do. Personally, I've given up trying to get a good tobacco juice out of FA. If they don't work for you, check out the super concentrated flavors and the Hangsen flavors at ECX and VZ. Great tobaccos IMO.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
My goto place for flavorings is highdesert. Great prices and the best cs anywhere and i usually receive my order in 2 days and im across the country. HDE also has the best prices on nic and pg vg. ALL high quality. They also just got in Natures flavors which is awesome. there new site is highdesertvaping.com

My fav flavorings in order are Capellas(ellas) ,Flavorwest,natures,lorann,----------------------- TPA

vanillin ,em and HDE 5% sweetener are must haves. HDE is also cheapest on them. They sell em in powder form in a big bottle so you can have a huge supply of em for dirt cheap. just mix 3/4tsp in 30ml of pg.
As the Number One recipe creator on ECF, your expert opinion is always appreciated. Your posts are the only reason I even thought to add vanillin to my order. I'm not even sure what to do with it yet!

double chocolate
I've used the DC dark, DC clear, and regular DC. I like the clear best. The regular DC is similar to clear though. The dark leans toward dark, unsweetened flavor or something (I'm not fond of it), the others are more like milk chocolate.
I don't see the DC clear anywhere. So, I guess I'll get the regular DC for now. For future reference, where do you find DC clear?

Leothwyn said:
dulce de leche
sweet cream
whipped cream

I love these for mixing with coffee, chocolate, caramel, etc..

white chocolate

This one tastes great, but seems to kill cartos quickly.
Thanks for the recommendations. But, above all, thanks for saving the poor, innocent atties that the white chocolate would have murdered.

Leothwyn said:
Flavour Art
-------------
butterscotch
If you happen to order from HD, I'd recommend the NF butterscotch over this. (I think it's listed under PG free flavors). The NF butterscotch is great. I wasn't impressed with the FA one at all though.

desert ship
latakia

You may like these. Many people do. Personally, I've given up trying to get a good tobacco juice out of FA. If they don't work for you, check out the super concentrated flavors and the Hangsen flavors at ECX and VZ. Great tobaccos IMO.
I probably will be ordering from HD in the future. But, in the meantime, have you tried the TPA butterscotch? Is it worth bothering with, or should I just wait? Butterscotch isn't one of my emergency flavors anyway.

I'm both surprised and not surprised about your opinions of FA tobacco flavors. I've heard good things about them. But, the few I've tried so far, I absolutely hated.

I'll check out the super concentrated and the Hangsen flavors, as soon as I get to that point.

djbishybish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2011
Kansas
I probably will be ordering from HD in the future. But, in the meantime, have you tried the TPA butterscotch? Is it worth bothering with, or should I just wait? Butterscotch isn't one of my emergency flavors anyway.

Yes, don't waste your time with the other butterscotches. Save it for NF.

Wait, OneStop does sell Nature's Flavors too! I hadn't really paid attention because I'd never heard of them before. However, they don't carry butterscotch.

What do you think of NF's Banana Foster, Blueberry Cheesecake, Cake Batter, and Lemon Meringue?

I've heard good things about the first 3...haven't heard anything about the Lemon Meringue before. Although I will chime in and say that Capella's has an amazing Lemon Meringue Pie flavor.

I also saw you had TPA Root Beer on the list. Some people enjoy it, I personally hated it. My favorite root beers as of right now are either DIYFS Root Beer or FW Root Beer Float.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I don't see the DC clear anywhere. So, I guess I'll get the regular DC for now. For future reference, where do you find DC clear?

Last time, I got it straight from TPA (good prices there). Before that, I got it somewhere else, but can't remember where.

I'm pretty sure I did try that one. I'm with bishy... wait for the NF - it's great.

I'm both surprised and not surprised about your opinions of FA tobacco flavors. I've heard good things about them. But, the few I've tried so far, I absolutely hated.

I'll check out the super concentrated and the Hangsen flavors, as soon as I get to that point.

Sort of sounds like my tobacco mixing start... read reviews> buy a few> hate them> repeat... until I found a couple that I didn't hate. They were OK, not great. Then I figured it was a matter of finding the right combination of tobaccos and mixers (nut, vanilla, etc.), and someday I'd have a good DIY tobacco. I never made it on that route. I've had tons more success (and a much easier time) with the super concentrated. Of course, I'm not saying that your bound to follow the same path with FA, but if you're after tobacco flavor the SC are definitely worth checking out.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
OK. The deed is done.

This is what I ordered:

TPA
chai tea
cola
double chocolate
dulce de leche
hazelnut
juicy fruit
juicy peach
koolada
peppermint
ripe banana
sweet cream
TIRAMISU
vanilla (Bourbon)
waffle (Belgian)
whipped cream

Flavour Art
white grape

Flavor West
bananas foster
black licorice
cinnamon roll
cream soda
ecto cooler
fruit stripe gum
kahlua
latakia
sugar cookie
yellow cake

Nature's Flavors
cake batter

Also
EM
sweetener (sucralose)
vanillin
Tart & Sour

Thank you all for your advice. All of the advice was helpful, even the advice I didn't follow - this time.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Just want to share my frustration.

Vape mail (all those wonderful new flavorings, especially my wonderful Tiramisu) is sitting in my mailbox at the moment.

Unfortunately, my daughter has the mailbox key in her purse - in Fort Worth!

I'll have to wait 48 hours before I can get into the mailbox! Grrrrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread