Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
So after 8 years ,just recently got into diy . I did try a couple recipes a few years ago after I bought some flavorings and nic , but just couldn't get into it. This time I bought a scale, more flavorings and more nic. Some of the 10ml flavorings came in plastic dripper (not dropper) bottles, but most are in glass with no way to get it out except a syringe or pipette. My question is, will they keep better in the glass? because I really like the plastic because I can just drip it instead of using a syringe....I was thinking of transferring the ones in glass all to 10ml plastic drippers like the others that came like that.. if I was doing by volume, glass wouldn't be bad, but diying by weight, it's a pain...or do they sell little droppers that can screw into the glass? That wouldnt be to bad

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Flavors 'should' keep better in glass vs. plastic. I say should because I have some 4+ year old flavors from capella and inawera I never got around to transferring and they taste fine to me. The other concern would be chemicals leaching from the plastic into the flavorings, and I have no way of testing that to know if it happens or is a baseless concern.

I mix by weight also and what I use to dispense my flavors are glass droppers, or if I don't feel like cleaning them right then I use disposable 3 mL pipettes I bought from China on ebay.

Here's one listing for a 50 pack $1.33 (comes out to $.0266 per dropper)

50pcs 3 ml pipette to transfer Dropper Scales transparent M7X9 J4R6 4894462072035 | eBay

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Flavors 'should' keep better in glass vs. plastic. I say should because I have some 4+ year old flavors from capella and inawera I never got around to transferring and they taste fine to me. The other concern would be chemicals leaching from the plastic into the flavorings, and I have no way of testing that to know if it happens or is a baseless concern.

I mix by weight also and what I use to dispense my flavors are glass droppers, or if I don't feel like cleaning them right then I use disposable 3 mL pipettes I bought from China on ebay.

Here's one listing for a 50 pack $1.33 (comes out to $.0266 per dropper)

50pcs 3 ml pipette to transfer Dropper Scales transparent M7X9 J4R6 4894462072035 | eBay
Thanks buddy. I thought perhaps glass might be better and because I have so many, I'm sure they will be around for a few years...I do have those pipettes and they work pretty good

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
So after 8 years ,just recently got into diy . I did try a couple recipes a few years ago after I bought some flavorings and nic , but just couldn't get into it. This time I bought a scale, more flavorings and more nic. Some of the 10ml flavorings came in plastic dripper (not dropper) bottles, but most are in glass with no way to get it out except a syringe or pipette. My question is, will they keep better in the glass? because I really like the plastic because I can just drip it instead of using a syringe....I was thinking of transferring the ones in glass all to 10ml plastic drippers like the others that came like that.. if I was doing by volume, glass wouldn't be bad, but diying by weight, it's a pain...or do they sell little droppers that can screw into the glass? That wouldnt be to bad

The place I get my bottles and dropper tops only does the droppers for 15ml and up. Never seen them for 10ml bottles.

I keep my flavorings in whatever bottles they came in, glass or plastic. Never noticed any of them going off. In your situation I would put them all in plastic bottles.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yes, probably. Glass isn’t porous and almost all plastics are to one thing or another. Non porous plastic can be made but it’s done by using multilayered plastic.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I use glass for large amounts of flavors with droppers. If the amount is 10 or 15 ml, I just keep them in the plastic dripper bottles, if they don't have a dropper top I put them in a bottle that does.
That might be the answer, put them in glass that has a dropper, thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I thought rubber dropper tops were not recommended for flavor storage as some flavors may react with the rubber.
That is true, just put in the dropper when you use them for some. I had some Arnold Palmer disintegrate a dropper top.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I thought rubber dropper tops were not recommended for flavor storage as some flavors may react with the rubber.
Not so much releasing toxins as releasing flavor molecules. Personally I use PET bottles for my flavors. LDPE is easier to squeeze but some concentrates such as strong citrus will cause leaking.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Not so much releasing toxins as releasing flavor molecules. Personally I use PET bottles for my flavors. LDPE is easier to squeeze but some concentrates such as strong citrus will cause leaking.

The bulb materials being somewhat pourous tend to absorb juice. Both oxidize with time and may interact with flavorings making the cap a source of poss contamination for bottle contents. The bulbs themselves seem to oxidize readily and it seems to speed up quite a bit with any attempt at sterilization. Some bulb rubber compounds apparently do better than others but its easy to lose track of what you have on hand when you bottle more than a little. So I prefer the polycone caps as they seem to be made of silicone, expectantly food grade, and provide fresh droppers as needed. Also, it's a lot easier to disassemble a two part polycone cap than a dropper.

Like you Leti I've gone to PET containers for general storage and to support a small cadre of test subjects I follow with some ref recipes. PET can take quite a bit of heat but gouge and scar with use a lot faster than the caps (an unintended benefit). I recycle all I can.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
will they keep better in the glass?
Best to keep the flavor in the container material it came in. I found that the biggest flavor killer is it's exposure to sunlight or any light. Opening and closing the the lid and exposing some flavors to oxygen is detrimental. Might want to note the color of the flavor first received on the container, if it's changed color, it might be subject to weaken of lose some of it's initial taste/strength. You got to go with what works for you with regards to feeling good about your stored flavors.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Best to keep the flavor in the container material it came in. I found that the biggest flavor killer is it's exposure to sunlight or any light. Opening and closing the the lid and exposing some flavors to oxygen is detrimental. Might want to note the color of the flavor first received on the container, if it's changed color, it might be subject to weaken of lose some of it's initial taste/strength. You got to go with what works for you with regards to feeling good about your stored flavors.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BrotherBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread