Flying with IBTanked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying day after tomorrow. Plan to put in my checked luggage numerous IBTanked tanks, 3/4 filled with with juice, secure in their Thingys. Further plan to wrap them all in plastic bags and bubble wrap.
Can any old-schoolers advise if those type of tanks would have a problem in those conditions?
Many, many thanks!

Reactions: stols001
Since it is impossible to control the orientation of your checked luggage in the plane's hold, I would empty them and just take bottled liquid to fill them with at your destination.
I know, Rossum, that's tempting. But I'm a heavy vapor, each tank holds 19 milliliters, and I'd hate to spend my seven nights in Las Vegas filling tanks :D

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since it is impossible to control the orientation of your checked luggage in the plane's hold, I would empty them and just take bottled liquid to fill them with at your destination.
I know, Rossum, that's tempting. But I'm a heavy vapor, each tank holds 19 milliliters, and I'd hate to spend my seven nights in Las Vegas filling tanks :D
Because of the pressurization and temperature changes that are likely to occur on the plane, my guess is the tanks are going to leak regardless. Although your idea of containing the leaking in the Thingies and plastic bags is sound, you're still going to have a mess to clean up.

I think Rossum's idea is more sound. Just my :2c:

Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Because of the pressurization and temperature changes that are likely to occur on the plane, my guess is the tanks are going to leak regardless.
If one could be sure they were upside down the whole time, and the liquid level was below the punches in the cartos, then there should not be any leakage, because the air pressure can equalize without forcing liquid out.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I fly a couple times a week, always with 2 or more tanks. If they are in your checked luggage I can almost promise you a mess from leaking. I keep mine with me.

As the plane starts down the runway for take off i orient the tanks according to the location of the air holes.
1) tanks with air holes at the bottom Place them in the seat back pocket upside down (drip tip pointed down). It’s important that the juice level is below the coil when the tank is upside down.
2) tanks with air holes at the top I orient with tank rightside up.

Once the plane has reached cruising altitude I turn all tanks right side up. Keep in mind the coil has been without juice during the climb to altitude for tanks you place upside down, you will need to allow 5 minutes or so for the coils to rewick.

The other option is to board with empty tanks and fill once you are at cruising altitude so its ready to vape when you deplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread