Formaldehyde In Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoltoCraft

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
United Kingdom
Basically I vape at about 5V on a 1.6OHM coil.

But I heard that vaping at about 5V can cause up to 15 times the Formaldehyde in cigarettes.

I vape at about 18MG and use about 5-10ML of ejuice.

Should I be worried?!? And should I lower my voltage, but I am sure people vape higher?

I never thought 5V was a lot until I read a study on this.

I am still vaping now as I do feel it's safer than the other 4000+ chemicals, in analogues, but I was wondering what other people think about this.

Edit: Even this guy says that 5V can cause 15x more Formaldehyde and can increase your risk of cancer
{MODERATED}

Last edited by a moderator:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Please use the forum search, this topic has been discussed to death, a thread just two weeks ago matter a fact.

Not trying to brush it off but we get this almost once a week lately and youll find 100' s kf pages of discussions, some of it backed by actual research.

MoltoCraft

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
United Kingdom
Please use the forum search, this topic has been discussed to death, a thread just two weeks ago matter a fact.

Not trying to brush it off but we get this almost once a week lately and youll find 100' s kf pages of discussions, some of it backed by actual research.
I don't want to bother you too much :) But could you link me to some?

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
You cannot actively inhale formaldehyde in large amounts, as little as 5 parts per million (ppm) will cause respiratory irritation, its not some unseen/unnoticed mystery killer.

Using that SMM video you linked as an example, he's a relatively big vaper/reviewer who probably has lungs of steel when it comes to tolerating large amounts of vapor.

Just look at his reactions when he takes those repeated dry hits...

The (now debunked) formaldehyde story also mentioned production of large amounts of acrolein.

Have you ever burnt a pan of oil on the stove? That horrible unbearable burnt smell/smoke, that's acrolein, no human could ever directly inhale it.

Arm yourself with knowledge! Best of luck!

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I was vaping this morning at 2.8 volts using a 0.5ohm atomizer.

Discussions about 5v being some sort of mystery cancer-inducing number are somewhat curious.

As far as I know, all the scaremongering stories/articles/anti-vaping propaganda are talking about abusing low power (designed) kit with high power settings. Nobody can vape like that... we all know it, but the ANTZ just love to scare us. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I vape at 5v on a 1.6ohm coil, does this mean I am getting Formaldehyde in my vapour then?!?

It's not tasting burnt to me? Should I lower my voltage? I mean... 5v at 1.6ohms is only 15W

Like I said, you could be vaping at 2.8 volts with a 0.5ohm coil. Personally speaking (and I'm not a scientist) it's not about the volts, it's about abusing old tech kit with high tech power.

I get less dry hits with a sub-ohm tank at 30 watts (not that I do it often) than a Totally Wicked eGo-T from 2012 running on a 3.3v battery.

Even Totally Wicked discovered there WAS formaldehyde produced using their old tech tanks at volts above the 'regular' 3.7v eGo batteries... BUT, nobody is selling this stuff anymore.... well, some people are but they shouldn't be.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
For as long as you do not feel burnt taste your are as safe as a vaper could be.
Formaldehyde is formed when juice is burnt, not vaporized. Nobody will vape a burnt juice - taste is just terrible. You do not have to pay attention to volts/watts, you'll know if it is burnt.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
The sh
I vape at 5v on a 1.6ohm coil, does this mean I am getting Formaldehyde in my vapour then?!?

It's not tasting burnt to me? Should I lower my voltage? I mean... 5v at 1.6ohms is only 15W
the short answer is no, or at least not at any levels that matter. if it tastes like ...., it's probably not good For you (burnt flavor).

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
For as long as you do not feel burnt taste your are as safe as a vaper could be.
Formaldehyde is formed when juice is burnt, not vaporized. Nobody will vape a burnt juice - taste is just terrible. You do not have to pay attention to volts/watts, you'll know if it is burnt.
I like that we both had the same post at the same time.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
A lot of it has to do with wicking and wire. If the wick can feed the juice, it isn't a problem. I have a Kayfun Lite with a 2.1 ohm coil - I like flavor builds. The one in my hand is running at 13.5 watts and that equates to 5.3 volts. The vape is NOT hot, it is barely warm. It is not burning the wick and producing formaldehyde sub-components. Like the previous posters said, if you get a burnt vape, you'll know it and you'll dial it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread