Full Mech Series Mods - Your Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I am only really interested in full mech mods, primarily copper, and am currently at the planning and design stage for building my own wood and copper series box mod. Have sourced a very nice wooden enclosure and mechanical copper switch. But that's another story...

What I would really like to hear about and see are your recommendations and experiences with full mech series box mods.

I was really after the VCP Piglet, as I love everything about it. However went against my initial instincts and love for the device and today ordered the MCM Underground series mod.

Anyone got either of these

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
I handled two last week. One negative I found was its use of a top cap as the airflow of certain atomizers could not be oriented parallel to the side of the box. Some would only properly seat in a parallel, or off-axis orientation where the accumulation of e-liquid on and around the button became a concern. Another negative was the lack of adequate positive pole venting for the cell positioned under the atomizer. I would have preferred additional venting along the sides of the box to supplement the holes in the top cap. Hence, I am awaiting the arrival of the Phenom Vaporizers Reckless. Series. Fully mechanical. Direct-to-battery (hybrid-style). Adjustable (bottom) contacts. Powder coated T6.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I handled two last week. One negative I found was its use of a top cap as the airflow of certain atomizers could not be oriented parallel to the side of the box. Some would only properly seat in a parallel, or off-axis orientation where the accumulation of e-liquid on and around the button became a concern. Another negative was the lack of adequate positive pole venting for the cell positioned under the atomizer. I would have preferred additional venting along the sides of the box to supplement the holes in the top cap. Hence, I am awaiting the arrival of the Phenom Vaporizers Reckless. Series. Fully mechanical. Direct-to-battery (hybrid-style). Adjustable (bottom) contacts. Powder coated T6.

The Phenom Reckless definitely looks very interesting from all aspects, it's a shame they didn't design it a little larger to allow 24mm atties, although that's not a show stopper.

Yes both the Piglet and the Underground have bottom positioned vents, and one of the reasons I changed my mind and went with the Underground was that the vents where larger and better placed. However agree neither have venting for the positive pole under the atty.

The other reason I plumped for the Underground was its Hybrid top cap over the Piglets top cap, where I can hopefully position my atty to avoid getting juice over the button.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Received my MCM Underground Mod, topped it with my Brass K24. Put a dual 7 wrap Clapton build in it and it hits hardddd.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Nice combo. Are you able to adjust for battery rattle?

Thanks, once I learned that the Delrin beneath the switch was not adjustable, I thought I would have to live with the battery rattle.

However the the threading allows you to screw the switch just to the right level and so far have not experienced any rattle with any of the batteries I have tried.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015

Any progress with the Reckless?

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Having lived with the Underground for a few days now, it ticks all of my boxes regarding performance, build quality and functionality from a mech mod.

The top and bottom brass plates are beautifully finished. It has a straight to battery brass 510 connector. And a simple copper push mechanical switch.

The 510 and switch screw out with ease and the top and bottom plates can be easily removed with 4 hex bolts. Making it very easy to clean.

The threading is all top quality, and as mentioned earlier the Delrin ring beneath the switch is not adjustable, but the switch beds down on all the batteries I have tried so have had no issue with battery rattle.

Size wise fits perfectly in the hand and most importantly for a small box fits my 24mm atties.

Like all Series mods this thing hits hard, but does it in a form factor and style I can live with as an everyday mod.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread