hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Included in the same shipment from Geekvape with the Aegis mini, they also sent the Nova kit with the Alpha tank and asked that I review it also. I’m not sure why but everything that I have been sent to review from Geekvape and one other company has been red in color except the Aegis Legend. I never owned any red mods prior to doing reviews but it’s starting to grow on me. I had always bought black or silver with one or two blue ones. The Nova kit is of course red so let’s take a look and see what you think of it.

upload_2018-12-1_12-32-38.jpg

Specifications:

NOVA MOD

Size: 88 x 52 x 25mm

Power output: 5-200W

Chipset: Advanced AS chip

Fire Speed: 10ms

Output mode: VW/VPC/TC/TCR/BYPASS

Resistance range: 0.05-3.0ohm

Material: Aluminum alloy + Resin

Battery: 2x 18650 cells (not included)

Temperature Range: 100-315℃/200-600℉

Thread: 510

Alpha Sub-ohm Tank

Size: 25 x 51mm (w/o thread)

Capacity: 4ml(Standard Edition)

Coil Type: MeshMellow 0.2ohm (Best 75-95W); MeshMellow 0.4ohm (Best 60-70W)

Thread: 510 thread

What’s in the box:

•1 x Geekvape NOVA MOD

•1 x Alpha Tank (4ml 0.2ohm coil pre-installed)

•1 x MeshMellow 0.4ohm Coil

•1 x Spare Glass Tube 4ml

•1 x USB Cable

•1 x Spare Parts Pack

•1 x User Manual

First Impressions:

The metal and resin combination make for a fairly lightweight mod even with two batteries inside. There is a nice notch out in one of the resin panels that makes it fairly easy to get a fingernail under to remove the cover to install the batteries. This is a fairly large mod but that is expected with a dual battery unit. The tank is mainly what I would consider to be a “cloud” tank but it is a solid built tank with some neat features that I will talk about more later.

Mod and Tank Impressions:

The Nova is a large and somewhat lightweight unit in my opinion. I don’t have very large hands but am able to hold it comfortably. As you can see from the first picture of the review, the menu system is pretty much identical to the other Geekvape mods that I have reviewed. I am more than ok with that. I don’t want to learn a new menu system for every device that a single manufacturer makes. The Geekvape menu system is in my opinion very easy to access with the three clicks of the fire button and and very user friendly. It has all of the standard wattage and temperature control functions along with the variable power curve function where you can set your own power settings for a period of time to better fit your own desired experience. The magnetic side panel is easy enough to remove for battery installation but the magnets are strong enough that you don’t have to worry about the side coming off. You can also change the display color if you would like to but I am ok with the way it is from the factory.

Let’s talk about the Alpha tank now. The tank came with the .2 ohm coil preinstalled that is recommended for 75-95 watts. This is well above what I normally vape at but filled the tank with some diy strawberry shortbread and set it to 70 watts to start. I had the airflow about 80% open and it produced very nice clouds of vapor but I honestly felt that the flavor could be better. I would give it a medium flavor rating with this coil at these watts. I did try it at 75 and it was a little better but that was as hot as I wanted to go for my own comfort. After a week or so I switched to the .4 ohm coil that is recommended at 60-70 watts. Once again I didn’t really want to run that high so I set the mod at 50 watts. I immediately noticed that the flavor was much better for me. I got as high as 55 watts and found it a really pretty nice vape at 53 watts. This tank like other Geekvape tanks I have tried is easy to disassemble and clean. However, you want to make sure that the tank is nearly empty before switching coils or you might end up with liquid all over your hands like I did in my stupidity. One feature that I simply love on this tank is that there is a pushbutton on the side of the tank where you would normally grab it that clearly says “open” on it. You simply push that button and the top swings open on some type of spring loaded mechanism. It makes it very easy for refills. After a couple refills I did start putting my hand on the opposite side of the push button so that it didn’t swing open with full force. This was because that I noticed if there was much build up of liquid under the top cap that the force behind the mechanism was enough to sling a tiny bit of liquid. I do however like the pushbutton and would like to see it on some other tanks that they make.

Pros, Cons, and Final Thoughts:

Pros

• Mod and tank are well built

• The menu is easy to navigate

• Consistent and fast firing with no misfires

• Mod is lightweight despite being a dual battery unit

• Tank pushbutton makes refilling easy and fun in my opinion

Cons:

• This is personal but I did not feel like I got really good flavor at higher wattage

• Not really a con but this mod is kind of big and square so it’s not going to be a pocket mod

• The tank must be near empty to replace coil

• It’s red( not really my first choice)

Final Thoughts:

I really do like the Nova mod but for my personal style of vaping, I feel like the Cerberus or Zeus would be a better fit for a tank. If you are looking for a tank that will give you huge clouds then the Alpha might be for you. I did get better flavor with the .4 coil and it still produced large amounts of vapor. I have to admit that I was like a kid with a new toy when I figured out how the push button on the tank worked. I love gadgets. The Nova is definitely a solid and well performing mod but it is a bit big and square. It will be an at home mod for me as I couldn’t really think of pocket carrying it. I hope my review has been somewhat informative and look forward to possibly doing more reviews in the future. Thanks for reading.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread