General e-liquid questions and Diabetic advice for a new vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwohiopma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2014
NW Ohio
Hi, I started vaping about 2 months ago, got off the gum.

First of all, I use a 100%VG liquid from my local shop, it's the only type they carry. It really gunks up my equipment quickly. But I'm diabetic and it hasn't affected my blood glucose levels. I've been using straight mint liquid, I'm afraid to use anything sweet. Sugar alcohols generally aren't good for diabetics, I had problems with the gum.

Any diabetics use PG liquid without problems? Also, how do you know you have an allergy to it?

Thanks so much.

chellemmm

Chihuahua Queen
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Florida
I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I vape 70vg/30pg blend, too much VG makes my lungs feel gross. My BS levels are actually BETTER than they were a year ago, when I smoked cowboy killers.

I ONLY vape sweet, fruity flavors because they are the only ones I like. I DIY, but I bought a LOT of juice my first 6 months of vaping.
I have lost 20 lbs in the past year, without even trying, since I started vaping.

My lungs feel better and I no longer worry about losing my toes or eyesight.

I would suggest looking around this forum and ordering some blended juice on line from a trusted vendor. Get some sample packs or small bottles so you can find what you enjoy the most. Your lungs and coils will thank you.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
It makes sense that vaping instead of smoking would be a good change for a diabetic. I've read from many sources that cigarettes suppress your endocrine system.

I think you should get some sweet juices if you want to try them out just to see how they do.

Additionally, high VG juices tend to feel "heavy" in my lungs (I've heard others complain of the same) and you should do fine with PG. Best thing to do is experiment. I find a 70PG/30VG blend usually does the trick for me.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
rated at 4 calories per gram of PG and 1 gram equals 1 ml (1/1000th) of a liter. It is rapidly metabolized as a sugar does for energy.

Bottom line is in order for it to affect BG levels one would need to ingest several ml in one dose, we inhale several ml over many hours so the raising of BG is moot for the most part, as this only pertains to pure PG minus flavorings but this too is of no concern as the flavorings are inhaled over long periods of time also, even if they have a higher glucose amount.

So for any juice to raise the level of BG one would need to drink a bottle of 10ml or vape the entire 10ml in one inhalation.This would equate to 40 grams of glucose ingested and will vary in the individual diabetic, differing for Types 1 and Type 2 as to how high the BG will raise.

For example if a Type 1 needs 1 unit of insulin per 10 grams of glucose, he/she would inject 4 units to cover the intake of a 10ml bottle of juice.

For Type 2 it is a whole different ballgame as they must rely on their own insulin with the aid of a pill or low dose injection if at all used, but the affect is still the same, very little if any rise in BG would be noticed.

The downside is, that smoking constricts blood flow, as does poor BG management and interferes with metabolism. Vaping does not so improved circulation and metabolism is benefited.

So if you are a diabetic, just not smoking is HUGE and the use of vaping is the tool to keep that benefit and if it does affect BG just monitor how it does and adjust for it.

I have a 5.1 a1c after quitting analogs, prior to that I had a 6.3 a1c....Been Type 1 for over 30 years...I say to diabetics...... fogettaboutit......VAPE ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread