Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I was wondering why my dripper gets a dry hit but the cotton still has a good amount of juice? It's a 26g 5 wrap 0.4 build
Welcome to ECF, Steven...

A greater level of information is always helpful when asking others to diagnose your problem. ;-)

Aside from the number of possible wicking issues, some of which is referred to by asvaldr... there can be physical build and power level errors as well.

It may depend on what you're using for a power supply. With a mech you're drawing 44 watts max at 4.2v; per Ohm's law. With a high-output regulated mod, you can force a substantially higher output... with a heat flux (coil radiant temperature) that can consume juice at a rate faster than your wicking arrangement can keep up.

You don't state if this is a dual parallel or single coil build. Believe it or not, it can be either, if the coils in dual mode are have a large enough ID... or in single coil mode, a small enough ID.
The difference between the two in heat flux value is a moderately warm 243 mW/mm2 for duals... and an extremely hot 974 mW/mm2 for a single coil.

Simple way to tell: thread your wick out of the coil a little bit and see if the wick that's actually inside the coil is saturated. It doesn't take much to have dry/burnt tasting hits if the wick is even slightly choked off. Plus, if it even starts to burn, it'll continue to taste awful no matter how much you drip afterward.

Also, it seems obvious, but NEVER dry burn cotton!

Cman1337

Apr 21, 2014
Portland, OR
I had an issue with a build no matter how loose or tight I wicked cotton it would vape great for the first hour then I would get harsh vape no matter how u wicked. I figured that the diameter of the coil was much larger than I was used to so after some point of vaping part of one's of the coils would start to glow hot red in the middle making vape super hot and harsh. Just rebuilding the coils to a more micro size helped my mysterious situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread