genral question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Sounds like it would be best to set the TVL shotgun aside and not use it until you understand how to use a mechanical safely.
In the hands of the inexperienced / uninformed they can be become dangerous in the blink of an eye.
I haven't seen a TVL shotgun with any venting holes in the tube, hopefully they've improved their design to include both top & center venting holes.

No, .03Ω is not safe, no where near safe, especially using a stacked 18650 device. Matter of fact, it is so far away from even the most loose definition of safe it is difficult to take your questions seriously.

2 - fully charged cells - 8.4v / .03Ω = 280a
2 cells discharged to 3.7v - 6.8v / .03Ω = 226a
If you understood the very basics of ohms law you wouldn't need to ask this question. Not trying to sound rude or harsh, this is beyond dangerous, .03Ω on a stacked battery mechanical isn't something to play with or learn on.

If you actually meant .3Ω
8.4v / .3Ω = 28a
You would need true 30a CDR cells.

If you meant 3.0Ω - 8.4v / 3Ω = 2.8a

Your other thread asking basically the same thing has some very good advice in it, if you don't understand what was said ask more questions,,, before pressing the fire button even once.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You need parallel mods, not series. MOST OF ALL, you need to not build at 0.03, if that is in fact what you are labeling your build, and it's correct. Maybe try 0.00000000 it's even lower resistance and most definitely safer as with no RTA attached at all you'll be much safer (just remember to remove the batteries and place them in a carrying case when not "vaping" it).

Really, is there a reason you are after such builds? That's a ridiculously low and unsafe place to start for ANYONE. Why not start out somewhere in a 0.5--0.7 resistance first and just see how you like it on a mech as it's going to be somewhat different of an experience than vaping a regulated mod anyway. As you gain experience you can go from there. Also, I see no real rationale for a series mod unless you are planning to make this your all day vape, in which case EVEN with a safe build you are going to need to pay a LOT of attention to the care and handling of your equipment as you move about your day such as removing batteries in transit and etc.

Even if you have a speaker that goes to 11, you don't have to turn it all the way up at first, especially at first.

I'm glad you are asking questions, keep asking them. My study of mech mods includes new users asking these kinds of questions, as you had better believe that if and when I DO vape one, it will be in the safest way possible, I really like my hands and face, and reconstructive surgery does not sound fun at ALL.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
if i stack 2 18650s in (sieries) will it double the amps? like 20 25 amp batts make a 50 amp? i onow it will make the volts double 4.2v+4.2v=8.4v but just wondering thanks! and a quick q.. im sure its save to go to .030 ohms but is it save to go lower?

Seriously Dude. You have got to Put Down that Mech and do some Reading.

This would be a Good Place to start...

Unregulated Parallel Box Mod vs. Unregulated Series Box Mod | Vaping Battery Safety

"im sure its save to go to .030 ohms but is it save to go lower?"

Please tell me this was a Typo.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
if i stack 2 18650s in (sieries) will it double the amps? like 20 25 amp batts make a 50 amp? i onow it will make the volts double 4.2v+4.2v=8.4v but just wondering thanks! and a quick q.. im sure its save to go to .030 ohms but is it save to go lower?
Series: Volts double in a dual series mod, amp and mah remain the same as a single battery. Series is stacked end-to-end batteries.

Parallel: Volts remain the same as a single battery in a parallel mod, amps and mah double.

Parallel is usually side-by-side batteries, but some mods that are side-by-side are also in series.

im sure its save to go to .030 ohms but is it save to go lower?
Unless the 0.03 ohm is a typo, you're sadly misinformed or don't understand about ohm's law. You're literally playing with fire at that resistance.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to be even more simple. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

Are you even using an ohm meter? The finest digital multimeters cost thousands of dollars and must be routinely re-calibrated to retain their accuracy and precision. And you are more than likely putting your faith into a lousy $10 ohm reader to be accurate down to a 0.01 of an ohm? You realize 0.00 ohm is a hard short, right? Have you seen what happens to a battery when it is hard shorted?

It may seem like we are being rude, but we are really trying save you from experiencing a catastrophic accident. Which would probably happen if you didn't ask questions and follow our advice.

You don't get the benefits of protection circuitry when you use a mechanical mod. Make a mistake with a regulated mod and nothing much happens -- you just get an error message on the screen.

The only protection a mech can hope for is some common sense and what is between your ears. Make a mistake with a mech and you get a catastrophe.

Stacking batteries end to end (also known as "series") will double the voltage output, but mah and amp limit remains the same as a single battery.
Storm52 is correct. There is literally no benefitual advantage to using a dual mechanical mod that is in series. Whoever designed this type of setup for a mech is an idiot.

Oh goody, it's a Hybrid mod too. Can ya add more danger? Fake batteries??
I innitially wanted to put a "funny" rating to your sarcastic comment, but after thinking about it I just couldn't. The stakes are too high here.

Yeah, I'd be really interested in what batteries he's using. Probably some after market brand that greatly exaggerates their specs. Efest, Imren, MXJO, AWT anyone? Unfortunately we've all seen it too often.

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using an aftermarket cell, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are believed to be rebranded batteries?
Quick question for @kael1123321. What juice attachment do you plan to put on top of your hybrid mech?

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know nothing about this subject I'm just curious if a battery could blow up? Under normal use.?
Possible but very unlikely on a regulated mod. He is asking about an unregulated mod. Straight hit to battery with no protection at all

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't know nothing about this subject I'm just curious if a battery could blow up? Under normal use.?

If you push a Battery (any Battery) Beyond its Limits, then Yes, the Battery Can/Will Fail.

Think of it like plugging Too Many things into a Wall Outlet in your house by using those 3 to 1 Outlet converters.

What Happens? You Blow a Breaker. Right? Because you tried to Draw Too Many Amps than the Breaker can handle.

But on a Mechanical Mod, like what the OP is using, there is No Breaker. And the Battery has to Provide whatever Amps are needed as a result of the Atomizer Build.

So on a Mechanical Mod, if you put Too Low of a Build on it, it can Exceed what the Battery is Capable of doing. And that is when things can go Bang.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Beamslider and Zoidman both answered correctly.

We are talking about lithium ion batteries here, a particularly powerful battery for its size. That's why they are used in e-cigs, cell phones, power tools, remote control cars/planes, and electric/hybrid cars. Any battery has the "potential" to blow up or catch on fire. Lithium ion batteries are particularly unforgiving to carelessness or abuse.

Probably 99% of ecig explosions are due to carelessness or ignorance. 90% (my guess) probably involve mechanical mods. A majority of those (again my guess) probably involve specialized mech mods known as "hybrid" mechanical mods. Almost always because of carelessness or ignorance to not using safe battery practices and not knowing their gear.

Regulated mods (those with an electrical chip offering protection circuitry) are definitely safer than a mechanical battery device, but electronics have been known to sometimes fail.

It's been stated that the majority of battery explosions (80%) in connection to using e-cigs occur while charging batteries:

E-Cigarette Explosions: Comprehensive List
There have been 50 major incidents this year (2016) alone and that's just the ones which make the news. They also go on to say...
"It is interesting to note that the nature of e-cigarette explosions has changed over the years. The FEMA document cited above suggests that approximately 80 percent of e-cigarette explosions happen during charging. In addition, most e-cigarette explosions that occurred before early 2015 involved no reported injuries. However, people began to experience different types of e-cigarette explosions when sub-ohm vaping and mods with removable batteries became more popular. More than ever, e-cigarettes explode during use. Explosions resulting from people carrying spare batteries in their pockets are also far more common. Regardless of the circumstances, e-cigarette explosions are far more likely to cause injuries today than they were in the past." Tobacco Truth: E-Cigarette Battery Hazards Minuscule and Overblown

With some basic knowledge of battery and mod limitations, and always using safe battery practices, using these batteries for vaping can be considered reasonably safe. Just please always respect the power that are in them.

Much of this is common sense. Always turn your electronic mod off prior to putting it into your pocket, purse or bag (usually 5 clicks). Never transport spare batteries in a pocket which may have coins or keys -- use plastic battery cases. Never leave a battery in a hot car in the summer. Charge your batteries on a flame resistant surface - stove top, bathroom or kitchen countertop, metal pan, etc.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nice analogy Zoidiman.

Let me tell you, when my husband replaced the circuit/fuse board on our house in preparation to sell it, he was terrified. And he KNOWS what he is doing. Despite calling the utility company several times (to check that power had indeed been cut) and despite testing ALL the outlets on the house, he said that tapping into that "raw" electricity that arrives at the house to get the old one off, and to get the new one on also involved a LOT of prayer and checking of his life insurance policy. And no, he's not an electrician but he's done a lot or repairs (big and small) since youth and is an engineer so he really knows ENOUGH to do it.

You can think of a mech mod's battery as ALL the raw power that is delivered to your home WITHOUT a circuit box. It's nice to think that a lithium ion battery explosion MAY not kill you in the same way as applying direct, unmodulated electrical current to one's bodily system (yes, lithium batteries are LESS powerful than that but you may WISH they had killed you if they blow up).

People who know what they are doing tend to have a HEALTHY respect for safety precautions in a mech, for the most part. People who don't will often assume they can willy nilly sort of approach it with a certain levity, especially if they really don't know what they are doing.

Here are some main reasons I think explosions can happen: Buying rewrapped or unbranded batteries and taking the printed specs as correct. Using a mech mod without a full and complete understanding of the safety issues involved, batteries and vaping generally, and safe builds to place on said battery and/or having used other types of mods long enough (at low builds) to get careless. Improperly storing batteries for travel. Trying to revive cells that have been discharged far past useful life and trying to revive them and use as normal. Improper storage of mods. Unsafe builds to show off or attempt to win cloud chasing competitions. Not understanding that the power board on a regulated mod will cut you off if you attempt something insane, so thinking that it will be the same on a mech. Wanting to use a mech thinking that the vape will some how be better, cooler, or magic, in some way.

There's absolutely no reason that should happen if a person has been properly educated as to safety issues. I also think there are a fair number of people who think "battery" and don't realize they are dealing with a "lithium ion" battery which is a far different animal and not realizing the catastrophic things that can happen. I'm sure everyone's licked a 10V battery in their youth and lived to tell the tale. Lithium ion batteries are NOT like that, they are FAR more powerful and NEED respect, especially as one repeatedly charges them and inserts them into metal objects without much cushion, times 100 if it's a mech.

It is true that some vape stores and other unscrupulous folks will sell rewrapped batteries, will not teach about battery safety, and for the most part, the results are IMPRESSIVELY non-catastrophic in a regulated mod.

A mechanical mod has no such protections and if you don't know what you are doing you are playing with not fire, but a pipe bomb. There isn't a reason for someone on ECF that has obtained a mech mod to use it in an unsafe manner. What is particularly frustrating is when people GET that education and do it anyway. Yes, we are all human, I have been guilty of a battery "sin" or two, but I would be HIGHLY unlikely to be guilty of such sins if unregulated, it's kind of like a very scary video game, only what is happening in the game may actually happen to YOU.

Anna

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I've never found series mech mods appealing. With between 4 and 6 volts most coil configurations are pretty well balanced in terms of power dissipated. At 8 to 8.5 volts most coil configurations are overpowered and beside the safety issue produce heat that will scorch most wicking materials. I'm assuming some ultra exotic coil configurations with the mass of zip wire would dissipate that amount of power better. Seems like a real niche application to me.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Probably 99% of ecig explosions are due to carelessness or ignorance. 90% (my guess) probably involve mechanical mods. A majority of those (again my guess) probably involve specialized mech mods known as "hybrid" mechanical mods. Almost always because of carelessness or ignorance to not using safe battery practices and not knowing their gear.

I know you're not too serious about the numbers, but I think your 90% underrates the "throw a loose battery in your pocket" phenomenon. The last few news stories I've seen have been about exploding pockets rather than exploding mods. Then again, I suppose if it's the pocket that exploded one shouldn't really call it an exploding e-cig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread