Going back to protanks from dripping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
I dunno. The protanks have kinda lost their luster. Any clearo has, for that matter. How do I rectify this? I can't drip 100% of the time. The flavor in the clearos is just lacking. And weird. Either its not wicking enough, or its wicking too much. Gurgle, gurgle. Ugh. I've been at this for 3 months now, and I THOUGHT I had my coil builds down pat. I mean, I GUESS my protank coil builds are the problem. Kinda like when you mess up your golf swing, and you can't find the sweet spot again... BUT, maybe my rda has just ruined everything else for me. Life was simple, three weeks ago, before I started messing with this rda nonsense.

Anyone else go through times of trial where you had a build that worked, but after a while it just stopped doing it for you?

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
So wait - you are going back to Protanks after dripping in an RDA? Are you using cotton in your RDA? Because with cotton and a micro coil in an RDA, I'm getting the best flavor and vapor I've ever experienced, and I get a good 8-10 big hits before I have to drip again. It's a beautiful thing... for when I'm at home. Of course out and about, it's no good to have to drip. But that's what bottom feeders are for...

On the other hand, a rebuilt Protank with a micro coil and cotton, though difficult to do, is a ridiculously good vape as well.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
So wait - you are going back to Protanks after dripping in an RDA? Are you using cotton in your RDA? Because with cotton and a micro coil in an RDA, I'm getting the best flavor and vapor I've ever experienced, and I get a good 8-10 big hits before I have to drip again. It's a beautiful thing... for when I'm at home. Of course out and about, it's no good to have to drip. But that's what bottom feeders are for...

On the other hand, a rebuilt Protank with a micro coil and cotton, though difficult to do, is a ridiculously good vape as well.

I'm not "going back", per se. I was just saying that the more I drip, the less appealing the clearos are. I use cotton on my IGO-W, with a twisted 30g microcoil at about .7ohms. CLOUDS OF FLAVOR. I could even make some kind of stupid Guy Fieri cliche statement about how great an experience dripping is, but I refuse to let myself stoop that low - even if it's truth. :)

I rebuilt a PT 2 head after I posted this last night, at 2.1 ohms, and I'm vaping it on my SVD. It's much much better than the coil I had been using, but it's not dripping-good either. I guess, after last night's experience, I've found that I should go higher res with the PT coils. I had been making them ~1.4-1.5ohms. I USED to go low res, because all I had were Twists and Spinners, and I found that I got better battery life with low-res/low-voltage. Now that I have bigger batteries, the higher res may be what I need to do.

have you tried an Iclear 30???

they tell me it's as close to dripping as a clearomizer can get,,,,,,,just a notch below,

It's on my list to try, although I am really loving the Vivi Nova right now.

I haven't tried the iClear 30. BUT, it's a top coil (and a ....... to rebuild), and I vape high VG liquids. Mostly 70-75% VG. Not sure how well the top coils wick high VG liquid. I've heard that they have trouble with it. The ViVi is top coil too, right? What VG % do you vape with them?

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I'm not "going back", per se. I was just saying that the more I drip, the less appealing the clearos are. I use cotton on my IGO-W, with a twisted 30g microcoil at about .7ohms. CLOUDS OF FLAVOR. I could even make some kind of stupid Guy Fieri cliche statement about how great an experience dripping is, but I refuse to let myself stoop that low - even if it's truth. :)

I rebuilt a PT 2 head after I posted this last night, at 2.1 ohms, and I'm vaping it on my SVD. It's much much better than the coil I had been using, but it's not dripping-good either. I guess, after last night's experience, I've found that I should go higher res with the PT coils. I had been making them ~1.4-1.5ohms. I USED to go low res, because all I had were Twists and Spinners, and I found that I got better battery life with low-res/low-voltage. Now that I have bigger batteries, the higher res may be what I need to do.

I haven't tried the iClear 30. BUT, it's a top coil (and a ....... to rebuild), and I vape high VG liquids. Mostly 70-75% VG. Not sure how well the top coils wick high VG liquid. I've heard that they have trouble with it. The ViVi is top coil too, right? What VG % do you vape with them?

yep, it's top coil,,,,,,

they do have a bottom coil vivi nova though,,,I saw it briefly at the B and M, but didn't pay much attention since I like top coils,,,,,,,might be worth checking out.

I vape 70PG/30VG, so YMMV.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
So you tried a dripper, but not an RBA? If you have not tried a Genesis RBA I think you should before you just go back to the Protank. I'd never go back to a Protank, mine's been sitting there in the rack since I got my first RBA, and it will stay there until I sell it or trade it off for something.

I just got my second RBA, an RSST, and had it set up and vaping in 5 minutes. It's just delightful and I'm very pleased with it. Traded off the Magneto I didn't like for it.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
I know, I could squonk. :) BUT, I'm not really a big fan of the box mods. Can't get past the, well, boxyness of them. I'll probably venture into RBA territory soon. I just feel bad for my Protanks. I still like them, and they look pretty. They're just not drippers... and, they're not supposed to be. I guess I should just appreciate them for what they are, and stop my complaining. I'm lucky to own them. There are starving vapers in Africa, and all that.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I know, I could squonk. :) BUT, I'm not really a big fan of the box mods. Can't get past the, well, boxyness of them. I'll probably venture into RBA territory soon. I just feel bad for my Protanks. I still like them, and they look pretty. They're just not drippers... and, they're not supposed to be. I guess I should just appreciate them for what they are, and stop my complaining. I'm lucky to own them. There are starving vapers in Africa, and all that.

I got an IGO-L to see what all the fuss was about with drippers, and as it turns out, I don't like it. Re-wicked with cotton, etc, but just don't like it.

My PT2 delivered no flavor, so I put an Aro head in it (for the Smoktech Aro Pyrex tank... they say it doesn't fit Kangers but it does work in PT2s and the Aro had so much more flavor). And the PT2 quickly became my favorite device. Re-wicked with cotton, and it's even better. Lots of flavor and vapor.

I have revisited dripping 4 or 5 times thinking I must have been in a mood, but I really don't see the appeal. It has no more flavor than the PT2 [with the Aro head], and it's a PITA. I am constantly thinking, "How many hits did I take already...?" and "I don't know, I lost count, so I have to ask myself.... do I feel lucky?" :D (or am I going to torch my cotton wick!!).

Luckily for the vaping world, we got all kinds of gear for all kinds of tastes.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
I hate using my protanks now that I started dripping on my mech. that being said the protank is not bad if you use cotton, its works perfect but jsut no teh same. I rebuild mine with a 5/64 drill bit then thread a strand of peaches and creme cotton yarn in the coil. vapes good, taste as good as you can get a protank to. also you wont need a flavor wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread