Going through coils like cooked dinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam McArthur

Feb 1, 2016
Hi All!

I bought the innokin Coolfire IV around a month ago and I've found myself always needing it set to at least 27-30W to feel a cigarette-like sensation in my throat; otherwise I find it too weak. Every 3-4 days it starts to taste burnt and painful on the throat and then I have to change the coil. Are there better coils around that last longer? I'm currently but the Innokin iSub Coil (0.5ohm) - but they're not lasting long at all!

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Welcome to the site Liam!

I do not have experience with that setup, and I am sure others will chime in. My experiences with factory built Kanger coils were similar. I would get 4-5 days out of a coil and it would give me a dry hit. Even though I was extremely hesitant, it only took 2 weeks of vaping before I decided to start rebuilding my own coils. I think that a large percentage of the users that frequent ECF found themselves in similar dilemmas and decided to learn how to build their own coils.

I found Kanger's Subtank mini to be a great tank to learn how to build on and a fantastic tank overall. I also purchased a clone derringer that is also a great vape and allowed me to play with rebuilding.

Rebuilding is not difficult or scary. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with the above. I used cartomizers in cartotanks for over two years. The cartomizers usually lasted 3 - 4 weeks, but then there was a couple of bad batches where the cartos only lasted a couple of days, or were even DOA upon arrival. I quickly got fed up with factory made coils.

By this time, I had begun experimenting with making my own coils for a RBA (rebuildable atomizer). I had heard that this was a much more economical way to vape, and the vaping experience (flavor & vapor production) was beyond compare. And it is true. A years supply of wire and wick material can be purchased for around $20. I've had coils last up to 8 months long.

There is a learning curve to making your own coils, but its not hard at all. My nephew and niece's husband both started vaping about a month ago, and they are now building their own coils. They are really into it. Now they are looking into DIY e-liquids.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi All!

I bought the Innokin Coolfire IV around a month ago and I've found myself always needing it set to at least 27-30W to feel a cigarette-like sensation in my throat; otherwise I find it too weak. Every 3-4 days it starts to taste burnt and painful on the throat and then I have to change the coil. Are there better coils around that last longer? I'm currently but the Innokin iSub Coil (0.5ohm) - but they're not lasting long at all!

the coil heads typically last only a few days with most people;

cost a hundred times less to use a rebuildble;
get a kanger subtank mini, or smok tfv4 where you have the flexibility to pop in prefab coil heads or your own rebuildable coil heads.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I gotta agree with making coils is the way to go. No shipping, no waiting, replace on a whim at a fraction of the cost. The Kanger Subtank Mini's (V2) have a great rba (rebuildable atomizer) to build or learn on. I'd suggest getting a coil jig lie the Kuro Coiler or Coil Master to help build, as once you get the hang of it only a minute is needed.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
This is all the advice you are going to get with a question like that. You aren't doing anything wrong. None of us can get more than a few to five days out of a factory coil unless you vape straight unflavored. Then you get a week or two at best IMHO. We all felt like we were still held hostage, only now by coils instead of smokes. Learning to rebuild won't make coils last longer, just make it a .... load cheaper when it's time to recoil or rewick.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Days do not count.
ML of E-liquid used is a measure of performance.

How much do you Vape before a Coil fails?

Your problem could Be Overpowering - Forcing a Throat hit from excessive heat - and damaging coils. Better? Not necessarily. Coils are built to do a job, one which you may be exceeding.

How many ml did you say? :)

You could easily rotate coils every few days and soak the old one to refresh and get longer use.;)

Rebuilding is always an option.

What about increasing Nic and decreasing Power?o_O

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I don't have a Innokin but from what I saw in the video it works the same as a kanger subtank coil rewick. You really have nothing to loose to give it a try, but everything to gain if the rewick works for you.

THIS! ^^^^ I've been using the same 10 coils for probably 6 months now. I change them out every day or every other day and put fresh wicks in them and they're good to go again. I hate a dirty wick, but these are SO EASY to change, I can have a fresh new one every day if I want to. :)

~Lannie

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've been through tanks then rda's with kanthal, nickel, titanium, and lately, stainless. I've been doing DIY since August. Like a lot of people what I want most is consistent decent throat hits My best recipe for that at this point. An SV rda with a 1.1 ohm, 28 guage stainless coil fired at 30 max watts and around 400 degrees. I was rebulding once a week with all the wires except stainless. (Does stainless stay cleaner than the other wires?) Another thing I do is mix with the absolute minimum percent of flavor, currently 1%. My impression is the best throat hit comes from a new coil and wick. The next best is a rewicked clean coil. Gunk is the enemy. Clean liquid, clean wick, clean coil, moderate temperatures, good aerodynamics. Putting all that together is cheaper with rebulding and DIY. A newly rebuilt stainless coil is a few cents. My DIY is 1.2 cents per ml with a quality Capella flavor. May be someday there will be a pre-built coil and wick system that makes quality vapor and tolerates any mix for months on end but apparently not yet.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
What are you vaping that requires you to use a mod at 30w to get any satisfaction? This is really strange.
Clearly, you'll be crashing through coils and juice at a ruinous rate vaping like this.
What's happened?

18mg x 20 watts = should be falling over time. :eek:

Maybe you were "recommended" low nic juice so you could sub-ohm?
Vaping doesn't have to be all clouds to get a decent hit.
Low Nic, Low hit.... sub-ohm is not the beginning and the end.

I'm beginning to see a trend actually. Lots of Vendors sell you the top gear, the low nic juices and tell you to make clouds.
(It sells a lot of e-liquid).

...personally, I'd forgo the clouds, up the nic and keep down those running costs.

...unless you want to rebuild and DIY.

Liam McArthur

Feb 1, 2016
Thanks for all the great responses! I think the reason I've been vaping at 30w is because I've been using 0.3mg nicotine liquid at 70/30 PG/VG (or the other way around, I'm not sure). I recently bought some bluBerry liquid and it absolutely kills my throat, even on a low wattage.

I'm definitely going to look into making my own coils after the suggestions from you guys :)

Liam McArthur

Feb 1, 2016
THIS! ^^^^ I've been using the same 10 coils for probably 6 months now. I change them out every day or every other day and put fresh wicks in them and they're good to go again. I hate a dirty wick, but these are SO EASY to change, I can have a fresh new one every day if I want to. :)

~Lannie
My god! I didn't realise how easy it was to do this!

Reactions: Lannie

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
My god! I didn't realise how easy it was to do this!

I know, it's liberating, isn't it? LOL! And CHEAP! I love these little iSub tanks, but I couldn't afford to use them if I had to put a new store-bought coil in each one every day. After I rinse and pull the old wick out I let them dry a bit, then dry-burn the coil at 10 watts just until the residue of juice stops vaporizing off of it and the coils are glowing a nice clean orange. Then (as soon as it's cooled enough to handle), I re-wick and off I go. Easy-peazy!

Liam McArthur

Feb 1, 2016
I know, it's liberating, isn't it? LOL! And CHEAP! I love these little iSub tanks, but I couldn't afford to use them if I had to put a new store-bought coil in each one every day. After I rinse and pull the old wick out I let them dry a bit, then dry-burn the coil at 10 watts just until the residue of juice stops vaporizing off of it and the coils are glowing a nice clean orange. Then (as soon as it's cooled enough to handle), I re-wick and off I go. Easy-peazy!

Authentic MUJI Japanese Organic Untreated Cotton Pads - Wicking Material (Packs of 5 or 10) (10): Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care :O :O :O :O So cheap!

I've just bought some of the cotton pads and I've just cleaned out all of my old coils that I didn't bin and they're gleaming! ;)

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Are you in Europe @Liam McArthur ?

Can I point out to you that BLU (UK) is actively supporting the UK government in the regulation and possible banning of refillable e-cigs? They are that sick.

Anyway, as I suspected, you are using 3mg e-liquid (3mg is not 0.3mg liquid, by the way) and that is why you are needing to vape at such high power and therefore using coils and juice.

Try something in between. I like 12mg at regular power and 6mg at higher power, but still not 30w... I just can't take it.

(I have vaped at 100 watts with zero nic' VG... so it's all about the PG and the Nicotine)

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Hi All!

I bought the Innokin Coolfire IV around a month ago and I've found myself always needing it set to at least 27-30W to feel a cigarette-like sensation in my throat; otherwise I find it too weak. Every 3-4 days it starts to taste burnt and painful on the throat and then I have to change the coil. Are there better coils around that last longer? I'm currently but the Innokin iSub Coil (0.5ohm) - but they're not lasting long at all!
U ned a rebuildable tank, aromamizer is a good place to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread