Gotta start somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
TLDR Summary:

Wife and I switched to e-cigs 3 weeks ago and haven't looked back, we're in heaven!

Newbie to newbie advice - If I could do it over again I'd buy one of 2 setups (per smoker) depending on how much money I wanted to spend. You can do even cheaper than what I list but my strategy is based on providing redundancy/backup and variety of taste. Prices are either from my local shop or from Provape. Your prices may vary.

Cheap (~$106): 1 Ego 1000mah Twist ($32), 1 Ego 650mah as backup ($14), 2 Stardust long wick clearomizers ($7 each), 2 chargers ($7 each), 1 30ml 24mg bottle of juice ($16), 1 30ml 16mg bottle of juice($16). This should get you buy for 2 weeks (@ 5ml/day which is really a lot), then you'll have recurring juice and possibly clearomizer costs (unless you get good at cleaning your clearomizers)

Quality (~$291): 1 Provari Mini ($160), 1 Ego 650mah as backup ($14), 1 AW Battery Charger ($17), 2 AW 18350 batteries ($9/each), 2 3.5ml DCT Cartomizer Tanks ($11/each), 1 Provari Ego Adapter ($7), 2 Stardust long wick clearomizers ($7 each), 1 EGO charger ($7), 1 30ml 24mg bottle of juice ($16), 1 30ml 16mg bottle of juice($16).

*Note: You WILL buy lots of juice. You WILL buy juice you don't like. It WILL all be worth it in the end. I DO have a problem with being overly verbose ;-)

TLDR Part (for the truly bored):

Well I don't really want to annoy anyone with yet another newbie thread but it seems there are few places I can post until I get verified, so now you all will be punished! ;-)

I guess it's been 3 weeks ago today my wife and I walked into a local vape shop (5 minutes from my house, so awesome!). We tried out some EGO-T's and walked out with a starter kit (+1 charger) and 2 bottles of juice. Neither of us have had (and rarely even desired) an analog cig since! In fact my neighbor was smoking this weekend out with us, and for the first time I caught a good strong wiff of it, and was mildly disgusted.

This has really been incredible. I tried an electronic cig maybe 3 years ago, paid $150 for the 'smoking everywhere' cig. I wanted WANTED it to work, but sadly I just couldn't stick to it. I came here to these forums, read and read, but it all seemed so complicated/confusing to get a decent vape and I felt like I'd have to spend quite a bit of money trying to find something that /may/ work.

Now I sit here before you, casually puffing on my EGO w/ a stardust clearomizer full of 24mg strawberry kiwi in complete bliss. I've always loved the action of smoking but always hated the side effects (felt sick, sore throat, cough, run down, smell bad, smoking in the heat, in the cold, poor blood circulation, imminent disease/health problems). Now I have everything I want and nothing I don't (ok, well I do still spend a bit of money on this)!

I will say my wife and I went fairly nuts though. At least one of us was back in that shop every day for almost 2 weeks. About a week in I started reading about EGO batteries (maybe the knock offs) exploding while charging and fearing for my wife's safety (and possible return to analogs) I luckily found a provari-mini on craigslist and bought that for her. OMG what an awesome device! I hit it every chance I get! Anyhow, so in short time here's what we've accumulated.

3 EGO-T 650mah batteries
1 EGO Twist 1000mah battery
1 Provari Mini (w/ charger and 3 batteries)
2 EGO-T tank atomizers (garbage? yeah I think so)
6 "Stardust" v2 Clearomizers (long wick) of varying resistance (completely awesome? yeah I think so)
2 3.5ml tanks (smoktek maybe) with boge cartomizers
1 Vivi Nova 3.5ml rebuildable tank
1 Mega XXXL dual coil cartomizer
1 EGO adapter for the Provari
and a handful of other odds and ends + ~8 bottles of juice

We've spent a tidy sum ($600+ by my nearest calculation... geez, maybe we have a problem?) but worth every penny and I plan to spend more! If you're new/considering though please don't be scared by this number. You can HAPPILY switch to vaping for MUCH less. We're just kind of obsessive-compulsive people who are crazy excited about this stuff.

These 'new generation' e-cigs are truly a dream come true!

Dominicanto

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2012
New York City
I think it's fantastic that you were able to come around to something you like so quickly! For may new noobs, the hard part is getting to where you're so comfortable vaping that going back to analogs isn't even in your thought process. More of a, "ooh, what other flavor should I try and what voltage would make it vape perfectly" than a "this is so confusing - I want to like it but it's just not the same." Yup, you've spent a hefty sum, but that's what you get when you buy an APV like a Provari and it's where you would have ended up anyway so better pay now and enjoy your early experience with vaping than labor for months to finally get to it and potentially have doubts about the whole thing. Also nice to have someone to share it with and kudos to you and your wife for doing the right thing in terms of your health. My wife had never smoked and won't ever try vaping, of course, but she supports what I do even if it's starting to turn more into a hobby than a cig cessation program ;-)

Hope to have a provari of some flavor soon. Enjoying the twist, but it's only making me want a real VV setup more!

All the best to you and your lady, welcome to ECF and happy vaping!

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Very sound advice. You've suggested two outstanding products both of which I love.

I pretty much did the same thing and it's been quite a journey. Switched from the EGO's to Provari's after a few days but again I'd totally be happy with the EGO's long term.

The EGO's really have their niche. Both of my parents have now quit smoking because of the EGO kits I purchased for them. I also gave one of my EGO kits to a friend and he's just about quit. He's still having a morning analog after 4-5 days but I think it's psychological hump for him at this point. He's really into the vaping so I think he'll get over it. For my parents who don't want the fuss and bother of VV(I realize the twist battery is VV but other EGO batteries are not) devices and just want something simple, small, and dependable it's great.

Can't really go wrong either way. Good work.

elothen

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
Ft. Worth
Thanks for all the posts! It's awesome how this community stays positive and supportive even after so many thousands of 'newbie' posts, you're truly great people!

Dom, you'll be thrilled with your Provari when you finally get it. The EGO's are great, don't get me wrong, but at the same voltage setting, moving my clearomizer from the Twist to the Provari and back, the Provari taste/vapor is just flat out better. My wife has tested as well and agrees. My suspicion is that the Provari provides a more optimal current to the clearomizer. I don't know if optimal would be more or less fluctuation in voltage but whatever the Provari does is better. It could also be that the calibration is off on one device or the other. I'd like to test with a voltmeter someday but I'm not sure I'm that industrious :).

I think of the EGO Twist like a Honda Accord and the Provari like a BMW. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread