Gourmet Vapor - Untrusted Connection... what??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
Today I went to buy from Gourmet Vapor. All is well until I go to check out and purchase my items. Out of nowhere, a warning is issued, saying "Untrusted Connection" and they're using an "invalid security certificate" and someone may be "impersonating the website" and that I "shouldn't continue"... What??

I've purchased from Gourmet Vapor quite a few times and I've never EVER seen this. There's no phone number for me to do an over-the-phone order. I'm frustrated because I use my sister's card so she can get points and she doesn't want me to use her card.

Does anyone have a clue what this means??

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
I buy from their website all the time, never had a problem. Antivirus programs like Norton and McAfee are notorious for being over-protective to a fault. I would not hesitate to buy from this site. I use Avira Antivir and it warns me of bad websites, but never had a problem with Gourmet Vapors website. McAfee and Norton are "the sky is falling" type of programs. I won't let them anywhere near my computers.

t3ase

Jan 6, 2011
The invalid certificate message has to do with the SSL (secure socket layer) used during the shopping cart process, which keeps your information secure between your computer and the server used to take the order. On well known sites like GV, it's typically okay with proceeding, as sometimes certs expire or don't load or may be registered to another server while one is down for maintenance.

If it bothers you at the time, check back later or contact the site if the problem persists. If it does keep saying invalid (which it doesn't for me right now) there's a chance the site was compromised but that RARELY happens these days.

And every year I help run the network at one of the largest IT security conventions in the world, so I know just a thing or two about site/network security. ;)

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I was a little cautious, for a few reasons, when I began doing business with GV. I talked with other members and lurked all the reviews to see if there was anything to be worried about. All good reports, so I continued.

Without getting too technical, certificates can have many "warning signs" that aren't dangerous, and somebody with poorer site building skills could make a good thing look bad.

I would really like them to secure their login page though.

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
From another post from Gourmet Vapor

"I want to let you all know that our site is safe. Our security certificate expired for a short time yesterday, but we got it fixed quickly. Please let eveyone know Thank you! Cindy"

is all fixed now.

Thanks for the clarification :) well there you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread