Gun Metal Finish on Vamo is Tarnishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
I have a "gunmetal" finish on my Vamo, or black chrome if thats what you want to call it, not even sure its chrome. Well, where I grip it in my hand it is starting to tarnish, dark spots from the oils on my hands I'm assuming. I've tried wiping it off with a rag and rubbing alcohol and it didn't help.
Do you guys think some chrome and mag polish for wheels would do the trick, or some other form of polish?

Lerxst

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2013
North of the wall
I don't have the chrome/black one (SS), but polishing chrome is typically all the same. I've used 0000 steel wool on many chrome and aluminum for a very shiny polish. If you don't like that method, you could also use a chrome polish like mothers. Here's a link to an ehow if you like.

How to Clean Black Chrome | eHow

Lerxst

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2013
North of the wall
The other issue is the quality of the chrome plating. Since I do not have the gunmetal (black) or standard chrome Vamo it's hard to tell how well the plating would hold up to polishing. Especially with the fine steel wool. If you decide to try either, I would suggest testing in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't take the plating off.

My suspicion is that the plating is not a good quality... If that fails, what LJG514 said^^. Wrap that rascal!

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
The other issue is the quality of the chrome plating. Since I do not have the gunmetal (black) or standard chrome Vamo it's hard to tell how well the plating would hold up to polishing. Especially with the fine steel wool. If you decide to try either, I would suggest testing in an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't take the plating off.

My suspicion is that the plating is not a good quality... If that fails, what LJG514 said^^. Wrap that rascal!

Dude today the finish is coming off, I can wipe it off with my fingers. What a piece of junk. I can't wait for my ProVari to come back in the mail. Had to send it back to get repaired because I dropped it one too many times.

Last edited:

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
Not surprised about the plating, but sorry it's happening to you! The stainless steel was one thing I was insistent about when I ordered mine. Anyway, out of all the j-wraps, you picked the best IMO - r2 is awesome! You should post a pic when you get it wrapped.

I should have it here on monday, I will post a picture when it comes in the mail.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
BOOM got my wraps in today. Here's some pics. r2d2 on the vamo and black carbon fiber on the provari. lookin pretty slick. Let me know if you guys want some close ups.
IMAG0111.jpg IMAG0113.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread