Harsh popping and sizzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
When I inhale I get a loud popping noise followed by loud sizzling. There is not a lot of vapor being produced, and is not very smooth and it is very hot. I have an Aspire CF sub ohm battery with a Kanger Subtank Mini. The juice I am using is 70/30 PG/VG with 3mg nicotine.

Hm, so it's possible it's the liquid, but I think it's more likely something with the head (as I've vaped 70/30 PG/VG in the Subtank with no issues, and I'm usually PG-sensitive).

Have you tried tightening the head down further? While the outer glass parts shouldn't be "cranked" down (to avoid breaking the glass), the head part should be in as tight as it can go into the base.

Is this a .5 ohm head, or a 1+ ohm head?

In general, some harsh popping can be caused by flooding, but usually that'd go away after a few puffs/holding the button down for a second or two to clear any juice in the atomizer section. Is it still harsh even after clearing the flooding?

noah1235

Jun 24, 2015
Hm, so it's possible it's the liquid, but I think it's more likely something with the head (as I've vaped 70/30 PG/VG in the Subtank with no issues, and I'm usually PG-sensitive).

Have you tried tightening the head down further? While the outer glass parts shouldn't be "cranked" down (to avoid breaking the glass), the head part should be in as tight as it can go into the base.

Is this a .5 ohm head, or a 1+ ohm head?

In general, some harsh popping can be caused by flooding, but usually that'd go away after a few puffs/holding the button down for a second or two to clear any juice in the atomizer section. Is it still harsh even after clearing the flooding?

It is now a lot less harsh, I think I may have accidentally flooded it but after about 7-8 puffs the popping and sizzling stopped. It's a .5 ohm head, but I also have a 1.2 ohm head that I will try momentarily.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
It is now a lot less harsh, I think I may have accidentally flooded it but after about 7-8 puffs the popping and sizzling stopped. It's a .5 ohm head, but I also have a 1.2 ohm head that I will try momentarily.

Aha! Yeah, it was probably flooding. I've noticed it can happen if you let the tank sit for an extended period of time without use (moreso with high PG liquids). If I leave my Subtank setup at home, go to work, and come back, I'll have to clear the chamber of some flooding by either taking some light puffs (wary of the popping) or just hold the button down for a bit to clear the liquid. It's a minor inconvenience, really. Small price to pay for tasty vapor.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Do you mean 70% VG? If so I agree. Super smooth, not harsh at all.

No I meant PG @70, using around 1.0 coil. The pg doesn't bother me like it does some others, I don't get a harsh throat hit at all. Menthol and Koolada in vape hurt my throat, pg doesn't. I get great flavor.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
IMO, it sounds like you're over powering the substank if you are using the .5 head.
The aspire CF sub ohm battery is an unregulated power source / mechanical / semi mechanical.

Seems most folks find under 25w to be the satisfactory working range of the substank .5 heads.
Freshly charged - 4.2v / .5 = 35.28w
As battery voltage drops - 3.7v / .5 = 27.38 w
Time to recharge / unit no longer fires - 3.4ish v to 3.5v / .5 = 23.12w ~ 24.5w

Reactions: Panorama911

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
I use the CF with the Atlantis, same coil resistance with 30/70VG and it will pop a little too but nothing alarming. I did have to get max airflow and allow some fresh air in from the sides of my mouth as well to cool it down a bit. Once the power starts to drop off the popping is less, so it sounds more like a high power thin liquid issue. Even 3mg nic can be a bit harsh for me using the CF and I am a 24mg regular user.

I tried a 70/30 and the vapor will drop off, so this may be why you have less vapor, try 30/70 to improve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread