Has anyone else gained weight after quitting analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando
Or am I the only one that's blimped out since quoting? I weigh more than ever in my life! I don't know if it was because I was so weak from the low blood count for almost a year which turned me into a couch potato. Or if was from quitting analog. But I'm severely depressed over my weight. I feel like a rigging cripple! My lower back hurts so bad from all the extra weight. Sigh we need a diet juice!:blush:

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Yah, I've gained quite a bit of weight since I started vaping on 1/14/11. Of course most (or all) of it has to do with the fact that I got in a head-on collision the last day of January and have been in a semi-crippled state ever since. The good news is that my busted kneecap was looking good in the latest x-ray and my range of motion is now to the point that I can just now start going for long walks and burn some calories. The bad news is that it's so freakin' hot out that I'm staying inside and hitting the fridge every hour or so, lol.

daniel5383

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2010
Florida
it definitley happens with quitting as i had went through some serious diet and exercise and had lost 50lbs in 3 months and then managed to keep it off for 2 years even though i ate terribly and drank nothing but soda...the minute i start vaping, weight starts coming back and havent changed anything else...i dont understand lol

Cari

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Beach Dreaming
I've gained 15 pounds since I started vaping a year and a half go, but I also got lazy and really slowed down on my exercise habits. Started back into my workout routine about a month ago and it's slowly coming off, but not cooperatively. Geeze, jogging three miles a day, plus light weights, crunches, push-ups, squats ~ I just friggin hurt. This horrible heat wave isn't helping. When I jogged at 8:00 this morning it was already 87 degrees. I'm looking forward to winter!

ames001

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Canada
between mid june and september 09 i was biking 20 k a day every day.... (this was soon after i started smoking) during that time i lost 40 pounds. by feb 2010 when i started vaping it was 45 pounds. it stayed off while i was vaping, but i was eating healthy... decent slice of homemade bread for breakfast, 2 protein bars for work.... stir fries for dinner and the weather was warmer, so one needed more energy to get around. enter smoking relapse, where i was never at home, never hungry and never really ate junk. bye bye another 10 pounds. switched back to vaping 2 weeks before moving in with my boyfriend. i dont know whether its the cooler weather, the fact that my boyfriend loves to sit down to watch a movie with drinks and goodies more than once a week, a change in meds 1.5 months ago or what. but i've regained another 10 ish pounds.... even with walking 3k a day at work. i dont think its the vaping, because i switched back mid january.

but the chemicals in smokes do significantly alter your metabolism. if you continue to eat the way you were when you were smoking, you'll have to work harder to maintain your weight.

:( i still dont see how anyone can gain weight on <1800 calories in a day with decent excercise at 20 though :( must be the meds. or the weight would have started coming back on 6 months ago.

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando
Well Markimar, you are not alone. I have put on a chunk of weight in the past 16 months. We live so close that we should get together and go for a walk.............to a restaurant................to get a cheeseburger...............and some fries.

That's so funny! I say a double order of fries!

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Could it just be water retention? I read somewhere else on here that PG dehydrates the heck out of you, so maybe drink more water. I've actually lost a little bit, because I can work out longer (till my muscles fatigue, instead of when I run out of breath and feel like I'm about to die), don't have to eat dessert anymore (craazy sweet tooth - I can just vape it now and feel completely satisfied), and drink more water like I'm supposed to now (I never had before - maybe like 1 or 2 glasses/day when I remembered to).

But yeah, it's really easy to get lazy and just chain-vape and read through ECF all night!

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
I have gained a lot too since I started vaping last August, but the almost 20 lbs is a lot better than the 30 I gained on one month when I quit smoking cold turkey. During that month I kept tons of celery and carrots cut up to munch on and still gained that fast, even though I couldn't be still. Needless to say, I quit trying to quit smoking but never lost that 30 lbs. This new weight gain, OMG, I understand the back pain and am so ready to do something. But the heat has been unbearable and there certainly is no gym where I live. There are times I think about going back to analogs just for that reason but I really like this not coughing my guts up all the time. Oh the dilemma!!

ames001

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Canada
i've been drinking tons of water... but in the last month and a half (out of the 7 months that i've been back on the vapewagon) its been a lot warmer at work.... and i've needed to drink more coffee to keep away the fatigue. so i'm thinking it could be a combination of the medication change and not keeping track of my water intake enough. going to start to track that more and do a cleanse and see if this weight disappears

cherewine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2010
Pacific Northwest USA
Well Markimar, you are not alone. I have put on a chunk of weight in the past 16 months. We live so close that we should get together and go for a walk.............to a restaurant................to get a cheeseburger...............and some fries.

OMG...now I've got to clean up all the food that was in my mouth while reading this...off of my keyboard!

But, yea....I keep telling myself it's because I'm now post-menopausal....but in reality I think its the typical weight gain that happens when someone quits smoking analogs....that sounded believable didn't it?

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
When I tried Smoke Enders about 15 years ago (it worked… for several weeks), they said that when you are smoking your body expends a lot of calories just trying to expel all those nasty chemicals. Therefore when you quit you have to either exercise more or eat less to make up for the fact that those calories won't be burned any longer.

I have no idea if it's true but it has always sounded reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread