Hcigar Towis Aurora has problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
It’s a shame, because I really like this squonk mod. It leaks like crazy. I’ve seen some other post around, and it’s definitely true. Here is the deal. Whatever they used for a seal just doesn’t hold up. It’s a gasket made of a cardboard like material that only slows down the liquid from entering your mod, but certainly doesn’t stop it. The 510 pin is also not spring loaded, and the connection gets damaged because of it. I bought 2 of these. Initially, I thought I messed up the 510 and all would be well if I used a spacer under my rda. Nope, the leaking once again appeared on the second mod. I actually used silicone and made one hell of a seal where the 510 meets the mod. I did this on both of the ones I own. I actually thought I got it with one, but about 4 days later, there was the leaking again. It slowed it down, but it did not fix it. If anyone has had success in fixing this issue, I’d love to hear how. It’s really a shame. The box looks great and it does perform well. Everything about it works pretty well until it goes to leaking. hcigar really blew it with a box that could have been a solid choice. I liked it enough to purchase 2, but I’d not recommend anyone grabbing one of these. Too bad.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Sorry to hear that and I dodged a bullet because I was gonna pick one of those up when I was looking for another Squonk mod. Went with the Rage because I found a nice price on it.
My favorite dual battery squonk so far has been the Mach ON3. The Rage is one I haven’t owned. You liking it?

Reactions: stols001

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
My favorite dual battery squonk so far has been the Mach ON3. The Rage is one I haven’t owned. You liking it?
Yes, absolutely love it. I like how easy it is to refill. The bottle is tight enough that it won’t fall out and easy to just pull it out, fill, and push it back in. It’s heavy but I like that also. It feels substantial and I use it at home 99% of the time anyway. I also like the looks of it, no plastic, silly lights, or any other nonsense.
I like the looks of the MachON3 also. How are you liking it? Is the bottle soft and how does it Squonk? Any issues with it? I just picked up another Pico Squeeze 2 because I needed another squonker, well I use the word “needed” pretty loosely, want is more accurate. Anyway it was the full kit including a 21700 battery for $27 so I didn’t really have a choice being that cheap. It’s my second one and it’s my outside squonker. Really pretty good squonker, only con I’d give it is the button layout. The fire button and screen should be on the same side but it’s not that big a deal because I don’t mess with the setting much anyway. FYI Breazy.com has that deal on the Pico which is still $29 I think but the coupon code I used for 15% has expired. Still an nice deal for the mod, rda, and battery though. Don’t need an rda but it’s a single coil which I like so I may end up liking it and I have the battery it comes with which is a solid performer.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Yes, absolutely love it. I like how easy it is to refill. The bottle is tight enough that it won’t fall out and easy to just pull it out, fill, and push it back in. It’s heavy but I like that also. It feels substantial and I use it at home 99% of the time anyway. I also like the looks of it, no plastic, silly lights, or any other nonsense.
I like the looks of the MachON3 also. How are you liking it? Is the bottle soft and how does it Squonk? Any issues with it? I just picked up another Pico Squeeze 2 because I needed another squonker, well I use the word “needed” pretty loosely, want is more accurate. Anyway it was the full kit including a 21700 battery for $27 so I didn’t really have a choice being that cheap. It’s my second one and it’s my outside squonker. Really pretty good squonker, only con I’d give it is the button layout. The fire button and screen should be on the same side but it’s not that big a deal because I don’t mess with the setting much anyway. FYI Breazy.com has that deal on the Pico which is still $29 I think but the coupon code I used for 15% has expired. Still an nice deal for the mod, rda, and battery though. Don’t need an rda but it’s a single coil which I like so I may end up liking it and I have the battery it comes with which is a solid performer.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
First off, I may have to jump on the Pico for that price. Jai Haze also loves that one, and he’s my favorite reviewer, so there ya go. So for the Mach ON3. Well I do love it. The fire button took a little getting used to, but now I really like it. Just lay the thumb over and it’s there. It’s a heavy guy too, but that seems to come with the territory for a dual battery squonk that isn’t 3D printed or all plastic. It feels good even with the weight. The bottle is it’s drawback. It’s certainly not what I would call soft. It’s not super hard, but there is just no mush. The other thing is that it’s housed in plastic and it can leak from where the silicone meets the plastic. It’s a very small leak if it happens, and it did happen on one of my bottles. I put some super glue on a Q-tip and rubbed it over the spot and it hasn’t leaked since. One could question the vaping of the super glue, but I really don’t think that’s a problem. I pray it’s not at least. Lol. It’s a great mod that would be even better if the bottle was a little closer to perfect. It does squonk well and it’s my dual coil device. I love single coil decks too, but dual has its place and it’s right on top of my Mach ON3. You won’t find it for $30 though.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
I just went and looked. They are sold out of both the silver and the black, and those are the only 2 I would choose with silver being my first choice.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I just went and looked. They are sold out of both the silver and the black, and those are the only 2 I would choose with silver being my first choice.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention that. Only dazzling (rainbow) or purple. I wasn’t happy about that but I went with the dazzling because I couldn’t pass on that price. Hell the battery alone is like $10. Anyway the dazzling isn’t real pink from someone I asked. It doesn’t look as bad as some of the rainbow gear. It was described as more like oil on water type color more then the pink, purpley color. They do make wraps for them also for like $10. Someone linked a place in one of the threads I can’t find right now. But that’s an option if you’d be willing. Thanks for the information on the Mach ON3

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
When I first bought the Aurora, it leaked like crazy. Fortunately, able to return and exchange for a new one. I knew the 510 was not spring loaded but thought it would be okay since I never overt-tighten the RDA. After, 3 weeks, it started to leak again at the same location, under the 510 pin. Gave up on it and lesson learned.
Agree that Hcigar messed up with this one. Seemed like a good mod with a solid chipset, but apparently not well constructed and thought out. Thought about fixing, but 510 and gasket replacement not worth it. Especially since much better Mods available out today.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
When I first bought the Aurora, it leaked like crazy. Fortunately, able to return and exchange for a new one. I knew the 510 was not spring loaded but thought it would be okay since I never overt-tighten the RDA. After, 3 weeks, it started to leak again at the same location, under the 510 pin. Gave up on it and lesson learned.
Pretty much my same experience. I didn’t exchange though, I just bought 2. The 510 really isn’t the problem though, it’s the seal that “should” separate the 510 from the rest of the mod. Even silicone didn’t stop it. Slowed it, but didn’t stop it. I’ve thrown both of mine away and moved on. All that’s left are the bottles.

• Agree
Reactions: Jet Knight

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
So anyone here think this could be resolved with completely replacing the 510 with an aftermarket one?

I haven't seen the internals to know if there's room to do this or not. Kind of a shame, the mod is a little uncomfortable to hold (sharp edges), but it's an attractive mod, and the chipset seems pretty solid, at least for power mode.

I've got pair of them still new in the box. I won't bother using them at this point based on what I'm hearing unless I can find a way to replace the 510. I hate to completely dissect a new mod and replace something, but would be willing to give it a shot if there were a replacement 510 that could fit it. If I recall, the 510 kind of sits as a square plate on the top. This might be a problem. Maybe I'll tear one down and take a look inside.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
So anyone here think this could be resolved with completely replacing the 510 with an aftermarket one?

I haven't seen the internals to know if there's room to do this or not. Kind of a shame, the mod is a little uncomfortable to hold (sharp edges), but it's an attractive mod, and the chipset seems pretty solid, at least for power mode.

I've got pair of them still new in the box. I won't bother using them at this point based on what I'm hearing unless I can find a way to replace the 510. I hate to completely dissect a new mod and replace something, but would be willing to give it a shot if there were a replacement 510 that could fit it. If I recall, the 510 kind of sits as a square plate on the top. This might be a problem. Maybe I'll tear one down and take a look inside.
I’ve never replaced a 510, so I really don’t know for sure. I actually threw mine away or I would take one apart and show you. I know I didn’t have any luck going as far as trying to seal things up with silicone. I’m pretty sure you can see what you’ll need to see by just removing the screws on the 510 and lifting it up. I don’t think you’ll need to open it all the way up.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I’ve never replaced a 510, so I really don’t know for sure. I actually threw mine away or I would take one apart and show you. I know I didn’t have any luck going as far as trying to seal things up with silicone. I’m pretty sure you can see what you’ll need to see by just removing the screws on the 510 and lifting it up. I don’t think you’ll need to open it all the way up.
Thanks, I saw on DJLSB's review, that's about as far as he was able to (easily) disassemble it. His video shows the 510 connector. From other borwsing, it appears the leak occurs at the bottom of the 510, inside the mod. I guess there's a paper insulator and it leaks in that area.

Some folks are saying the solution is to use atty spacers so as to not screw the RDA down enough to actually push the 510 pin down into the connector any. Just have it make enough contact to fire. Seems pretty hokey to me to have to do this.

I wonder if you pull the 510 and coat that area of the 510 in epoxy if that would help. Of course, you still can't force an RDA down on it.

Sounds like replacing the 510 would resolve the issue. Probably not a simple task though with the way the original one is designed as a square plate on top of the mod.

I guess mine will sit in the vape closet as emergency gear, I can try to do something with it if I'm going to NEED to use them. Maybe I'll try to tear one down one of these days and see if there's a way to replace the 510. I can't believe HCigar hasn't come up with a solution for this. While there are better devices out there since it was released, seems like a pretty solid device otherwise.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Thanks, I saw on DJLSB's review, that's about as far as he was able to (easily) disassemble it. His video shows the 510 connector. From other borwsing, it appears the leak occurs at the bottom of the 510, inside the mod. I guess there's a paper insulator and it leaks in that area.

Some folks are saying the solution is to use atty spacers so as to not screw the RDA down enough to actually push the 510 pin down into the connector any. Just have it make enough contact to fire. Seems pretty hokey to me to have to do this.

I wonder if you pull the 510 and coat that area of the 510 in epoxy if that would help. Of course, you still can't force an RDA down on it.

Sounds like replacing the 510 would resolve the issue. Probably not a simple task though with the way the original one is designed as a square plate on top of the mod.

I guess mine will sit in the vape closet as emergency gear, I can try to do something with it if I'm going to NEED to use them. Maybe I'll try to tear one down one of these days and see if there's a way to replace the 510. I can't believe HCigar hasn't come up with a solution for this. While there are better devices out there since it was released, seems like a pretty solid device otherwise.
I actually tried both of those options and neither worked out for me. I can’t speak for all of the Aurora owners, but that’s my experience. I did the spacer thing and it didn’t solve it. I really thought I had it with the epoxy. It slowed it down, but after about 4 days it was seeping out again. I liked the device enough to buy it twice, but I just didn’t have any luck. My only recommendation at this point would be a different 510. Spring loaded with a good seal. That cardboard (or whatever) piece of .... they used just sucks. It just soaks through and then is useless. I’ve seen people get the Aurora in a couple of FB groups I’m in and say they aren’t having any issues. I’m always thinking, just give it time. It’s the same seal across the board, so I just don’t see how they are going to get around it. I do wish them luck, but I’m doubtful.

Reactions: score69

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
I actually tried both of those options and neither worked out for me. I can’t speak for all of the Aurora owners, but that’s my experience. I did the spacer thing and it didn’t solve it. I really thought I had it with the epoxy. It slowed it down, but after about 4 days it was seeping out again. I liked the device enough to buy it twice, but I just didn’t have any luck. My only recommendation at this point would be a different 510. Spring loaded with a good seal. That cardboard (or whatever) piece of .... they used just sucks. It just soaks through and then is useless. I’ve seen people get the Aurora in a couple of FB groups I’m in and say they aren’t having any issues. I’m always thinking, just give it time. It’s the same seal across the board, so I just don’t see how they are going to get around it. I do wish them luck, but I’m doubtful.
I also have taken them completely apart. The buttons and the battery slide adaptor are a pain, but it can be done. Just be sure you clean the display and don’t touch it when you’re reassembling. I did that once not paying attention and it’s all together with a big nasty print under the cover. My OCD went through the roof and I took it apart again to get rid of the print. Just couldn’t take it. Lol

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
I wonder if the Hcigar VT Inbox uses the same 510.
Haven't had any problems yet with the Inbox, but hasn't had a lot of use.
I don’t own that one but people seem to like it. It has to be different, it just has to. It’s been out for quite a while. If it had even close to the same issue, I’m sure the word would have spread.

• Agree
Reactions: puffon

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
I too, had some promise with the Aurora. Actually had my initial leaking problems fixed with a kind retailer exchange, but the same occurred with the replacement. Have tried some minor attempts to fix the problem til I noted it was a 510/gasket issue. Decided to give mine away to someone who was not interested in the squonking feature of the Mod and he is basically using it as a regular Mod.
Nice looking mod with limitless possibilities for engraving and making unique, but a poorly constructed squonker.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
The 510 on the Aurora is the same as the Hcigar magic box mech mod. Not 100% sure but they look similar.
Thanks for updating. I took one of mine apart out of curiosity. Saw the 510 was nothing like the Inbox, but had never seen the one on the magic box myself.

I couldn't see an any way of replacing it with an aftermarket 510, short of machining some type of plate that you could use to mount a mod maker or the like for the connector. I'd buy several plates for this use if somebody ever came up with them. I have three Auroras, that will sit in the boxes now otherwise.

Great looking/performing mod, really a shame that the 510 ended up being this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread