Hello all from sunny scotland :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyWooky

Nov 6, 2015
Heyo vapers and vapettes, sorry this isn't my first post here but I wasn't sure what to write :p

Iv been off the stinkys and vaping happy for 4 years now I think, something I never would have thought possible if anyone had asked me 5 years ago. I loved smoking, but love vaping a whole lot more hehe.

I guess I decided to step out of the shadows after my billow v2 arrived yesterday.. am still fairly new to mech mods and sub ohm builds in general.. dual coils heh, on my 2nd attempt ever right now ;). Am loving it but there is a bit of fear there I guess, figured it might be wise to have somewhere I could ask questions should anything come up I feel unsure about :)

Reactions: cigarbabe

Drummel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Glad you popped out! It's a grand world of discovery, isn't it? :)

Just as an awareness factor. You do know that when you build dual coils it essentially halves the resistance, right?

(example) If you at built a 28g 5 wrap at 1.0Ω and then built an identical one and put it into a duel coil configuration it will show a resistance of approximately 0.5Ω. If you already know this, just disregard, just thought I'd toss that out since you are getting familiar with new adventures!

Have fun and please be safe!

Reactions: cigarbabe

SpookyWooky

Nov 6, 2015
Thanks for the warm welcomes :), and for the advice drummel.. I do know duals half the ohms, though it will take a bit of getting used to dialing in exactly what I want, was so happy when my 2nd build (1st went to hell) came in at 0.4 ohms hehe, close enough to the 0.5 I was expecting I had to give myself a pat on the back :p. I might add an extra turn on both sides of the 26guage I used for these coils in hopes of getting it closer to 0.5 / 0.6 + though, at ~40w (if bat is at 4v) 0.4ohm dual is a bit much for my tastes on mechanical :D, had to be tried though.

Battery safety.. I am trying not to be too silly (famous last words hehe), I have been using 2 sony vtc5s I bought for my mech since they weren't a whole lot more expensive than the competition and people generally seem to recommend them. I also have a cool (imho :p) wee usb nitecore charger I bought for my subbox to try and get me away from vaping while charging. I don't plan on going down to 0.2 or trying to test the limits or anything, just figured the higher amp rating on bat the safer I might be, and maybe get a few more puffs.

One thing I am sorely missing is a proper ohm checker, the subbox is the only thing I have capable of testing / reading coils under an ohm just now and I know cheap mods can be shockingly bad sometimes for a decent reading (maybe not so much off, but rounding to 1 decimal place isn't ideal for my ocd brain). I just haven't really seen one locally that I haven't already seen on fasttech etc and discounted, or worse more expensive ones that don't even have short protection.. don't they realise people might be relying on those to tell if a build is ok on mech!?. I fear I may have to add my name to the ever growing waiting list for a coil master 521 tab :p

At least with subbox mini I think it's limits are pretty much similar to what a vtc5 would get on its own ? e.g. as long as a build works on that without tripping protection I might be ok. Or should I really stop and wait for a decent ohm reader hehe.

Edit: The part that has me worried is I have my eye on buying a couple purple efest 18500 15a batteries for this mod, will have to get the ohms up a bit for those :)

Edit2: hah, looking at the thread here about how efest embelishes the truth a bit with their amp rating on purple batteries, I may have to up the ohms quite a bit, lol. Is there a better brand for 500 length ?, efest seemed to be the only high discharge option the place I grabbed my vtc4s and vtc5s from.

Last edited:

SpookyWooky

Nov 6, 2015
Hiya chrissie, can't help but think wow at your vaping start date there, nice goin ! :).. what was it like back in 08 ?, pour some eliquid on 2 sticks and rub together ? :D

Howdy cigarbabe.. a digital voltmeter has run through my head a few times since I started my little hunt for a decent ohm reader heh, like maybe put a 510 connector on a bit of wood and solder some wires to voltmeter :). I guess part of my brain has thought there must be more to it than that for some reason ? :D. I did have a voltmeter at some point (last saw it 10 years ago at least, lol).. not sure where I stashed it though.

I guess what is drawing me to the 521 is I'm not so sure just a reliable reading is good enough without putting the coil through some burn tests etc.. I dunno :), half of me has been reading too much info on battery safety since I grabbed this mod a couple months ago I'm almost scared to vape it hehe, the other half is just yelling don't be such a wimp, if ya battery melts down chuck it out the window and carry on :D

Edit: one thing I checked when I got this mod was to make sure the venting still worked with / without the firing switch locked, lol.. scared me how many were say only a pipe bomb when locked and in your pocket besides groin ;)... though I'm not sure if that's much worse than only having a pipe bomb when you are vaping and mod is in hand / near face hehe

Last edited:

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hiya chrissie, can't help but think wow at your vaping start date there, nice goin ! :).. what was it like back in 08 ?, pour some eliquid on 2 sticks and rub together ? :D

Lol, you couldn't even buy e-liquid back then (well not in the UK). All that was available was ciggie lookalikes with tiny cartridges prefilled with e-liquid. How things have changed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread