The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Hello from Germany

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by tailland, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    Hey there. Call me Chris. I'm 43, from Germany.

Tried converting to Ecigs 4y ago, was talked into buying some Ego-Whatever thing for 60 Euros (~70$) by a local vendor - a device which I used a few times and finally threw it into the trash because it didn't satisfy my urges.
    Fast forward to June 9th 2018, my Ego AIO Pro C arrives, together with a variety of coils to test, and from one day to another, I converted from heavy cig smoking (20years) to vaping 0.5ohm DL minty nicotine juice. Haven't even contemplated smoking another cig since. DL for the win. MTL is not for me.

Up to now, I've bought:

Hardware: Ego AIO Pro C, EVic VTwo Mini with Cubis Pro (the real (=non-TPD mutilated) one), Kangertech CLTank 4.0, 2 x Joyetech ESpion with Procore X arrived yesterday (blue and black :), and a Cuboid Pro with Procore Aries is still on the way. I simply couldn't resist buying these things, given they were all on "clearance sale" with absurdely low prices. And of course I've bought some small accessory as well, like different drip tips, beautiful cases for the hardware, silicone skins, etc...

Software: first a small battery of mint nicotine 10ml bottles -.-, then a 100ml bubblegum taste bottle with nic shots, and finally I've bought 3litres of cheap nic base (6mg) along with more than a dozen of highly concentrated flavors to mix. What I found slighlty disconcerting, was that most of the flavors I bought, all of whose brands are recommended by experienced vapers, contain a tiny amount of fatty oils (not just essential oils) although they're only advertised as containing only PG as a solvent. The "blotter test" quickly unmasks that lie. I'd certainly appreciate seeing a "whitelist" being built one day.

What I love about vaping:
    First and foremost, of course, that it stopped me from abusing cigarettes. I had the feeling smoking cigs was really dragging my health down. Since I stopped, it's steadily going uphill. It's hard to overstate how much I love that fact.

Besides that, I find the entire industry to be quite consumer friendly. To me, it looks like the industry is largely doing what the customers want, and that the products reflect their price tags pretty well. Of course it's a big bonus that many parts are standardised, and even interchangable between different manufacturers (coils, tank glasses,...). Given its importance in the fight against big tobacco, this is certainly a huge plus.

Ok, that's enough about me.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Budgie

Budgie Senior Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Saudi Arabia/Scotland
    Welcome to ECF Chris, good to hear you’re off the cigs and feeling positive about vaping. Keep it up and Good Luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Howdy and welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. MJCSD

MJCSD Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2014
    usa
    Hello and welcome to ecf congratulations

5. ExtremeDooty

ExtremeDooty Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 5, 2017
    Michigan
    Welcome aboard Tailland. Congrats on giving up the smokes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ichimaru
    This message by ichimaru has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Aug 14, 2018.
    Aug 12, 2018
  7. Psihoza

Psihoza Senior Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Croatia
    My crystal ball sees you in future holding a good old German Svoe Mesto Kayfun atty, wrapping your own coils and wicking cotton :)

Welcome

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Hi and welcome.

I agree with you on the vape industry. It does seem they address our concerns, cater to our many whims, and self-regulate pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FranC

FranC TWR Co-Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Welcome to ECF:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    I can muster some enthusiasm for that newfound vaping thing, but I already know that some things aren't going to happen for me because they're located too deeply in the hobbyist/collector realm.
    Buying a $150 RTA instead of a $30 one firmly belongs in that category. I also don't believe the vaping gets substantially better if I spend an hour wrapping up complicated coil patterns instead of buying a 100 piece batch of pre-made ones. I get why enthusiasts do it, but I'll most certainly refrain from that. The bang/buck ratio is really really high on my list of priorities.

And they still innovate. I'm looking forward to mods becoming entry level standard that are sufficiently powered by AA or AAA non-lithium batteries, or devices that use ultrasonic evaporation technology. Or whatever other good stuff they're developing in their labs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Bradder

Bradder Am I Chip or am I Dale? Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 12, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    Big Welcome.jpg Glad you are here. A great place for like-minded folks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CryptoRick

CryptoRick Full Member

Jul 22, 2018
    Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find many other shineys to buy just reading the info here.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Welcome to ECF and congrats on your persistence in quitting smoking. That's fantastic and I hope you have a great time here. :)

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    What brand are these flavors. Flavor makers always have who they are. PG is mostly used as a carrier oil in the flavorings unless the make has vg only on the label.

The oily looking blotter is from PG. Try the same blotter test with plain PG. Is there a difference between the one with flavoring and the PG?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    Most of what I bought so far, though not all, comes from Inawera, a producer that is held in high regards by the vapers here. Their flavor basis is E1520 (PG).

Personally, I have tried the following on paper:
    - Ethanol/Water/Essential oils mixture - evaporated without any residue within 1 minute
    - PG based nic shot - takes a little longer to dry out (sped up with a hair dryer), dries out with no residue.
    - PG based flavors - out of the 15 I have here, only 5 dried out completely without residue (hair dryer), the others left shiny thumbnails of different intensity when held against a light source. The most intense were Cola (smells like citrus cleaning agent) and Banana, while the others were much less intense.

Preliminary conclusion: Either they got undeclared VG in it as well, OR the flavors contain traces of fatty oils. I haven't done a long term test to give them more time to dry out. I should have.

I found this related image of someone else doing a test (although it's older and it wasn't stated who the manufacturers are)
    [​IMG]
    I would've thought that Zitrone(Lemon) and Limette(Lime) would show equally aggressive results, but they don't. Some flavors leave visibly colorful residues while others dry up without any stains. Since nothing was posted about the manufacturer(s?), it's hard to tell whether it's the flavor type itself that causes problems, or differences in the manufacturers' production processes. A follow-up post by the tester says that after a week, only garlic and cinamon remained exactly that way. Overall result: Inconclusive, except for those 2 flavors.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Sugar_and_Spice

Sugar_and_Spice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Unfortunately, some flavoring still has dyes in them. But vendors are learning the vape world really does not want to inhale those.

INW is a good company to use. As a test you could up the % to 10 % in one of your recipes, just a 5-10 ml bottle to see if you can then taste while vaping as tank or two.

Nothing about diy is fast except if you buy those one shot flavors and even then some may need aging.

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    The longer I vape, the more unattractive smoking has become for me too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tailland

tailland Super Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    It's really an X/OR thing for me, since I learned that the dangers from smoking mostly don't scale with the amount you smoke. The difference between 2 cigs and 20 cigs per day is not what you'd expect. So I appreciate very much that I don't crave cigs anymore since I started vaping. Could be different.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pleasant_Bad

Pleasant_Bad Senior Member

Jul 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hello, Chris! Thank you for your informative introduction about yourself. Totally agree with your words about consumer friendly industry. Moreover, I can tell the same about the community, you always can find support and assistance of fellow vapers when need.
    Glad you joined ECF! Welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. SnapDragon NY

SnapDragon NY Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2017
    Hi and Welcome-
    Stay Strong and Best of Luck to you!
    I am glad you signed on!

:thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. tailland

tailland Super Member