Status
Not open for further replies.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Brand new to this. Just ordered an inexpensive starter kit (eGo jewel - http://www.vaporbeast.com/eGo-Jewel-Starter-Kit-p/32-0066-001.htm) to see if it's for me. I got the kit + a bottle of liquid (Jive 555 Nutty Tobacco) for under $30, so I figure it's an inexpensive way to find out if this is a road I'll be going down.

I'm probably in the minority here in that I've never been a cigarette smoker. I got started on cigars about 10 years ago. I was on a 2-3 per week pace (a little more in summer, less in winter) until a couple of years ago when my wife and I had twins. Now, with less time and less ability, I'm lucky to get one per week.

So I'm not looking for nicotine hits. The nicotine doesn't matter to me at all. I'm really hoping to find a way I can get a satisfying smoking experience, all about taste and feel for me. Something I can do on my own time, rather than having to schedule a 45-minute block to work through a stogie, and something less harmful to my health, and something where I don't have to shower and scour my mouth to get close to the wife ;). Here's hoping this is the ticket.

I do have one quick question about cartos. Are they universal, or do I have to buy a specific make for my battery? I may try ordering a few more flavors from MadVapes, but I'm not sure which cartos to buy. When I start looking at all the different types, cartos and clearomizers, my head starts to spin.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Okay, thanks. Yeah, I was planning on getting some spares. The site where I bought it lists something different in the "accessories" page, so I wasn't sure if I needed the exact same unit that came with it, or if any eGo carto would work.

Will follow up with my experience. Hopefully it'll match my hopes. Would love to make my cigar smoking strictly "special occasion."

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Welcome to the forum, aceswired! You're making a good start with the eGo kit you ordered. Just a couple of things to keep in mind, should you (as I think you will) find that vaping is for you:

The main thing to remember when ordering clearomizers for your battery is the threading that connects battery to clearo. Your battery can accommodate clearos listed as "eGo" or "510." Almost all devices today are compatible with either or both of these two threadings (except the little cigarette lookalikes, aka "cigalikes" like Blu and V2), but it pays to pay attention to this when ordering.

Assuming you decide to go forward with this, be sure to have backups! At least 2 batteries (so one can be charging while the other is in use, and in case one dies), and a spare charger wouldn't hurt either. And as retired1 said, keep some spare clearos on hand as well.

Try different flavors of e-liquid. Most smokers at first assume they want tobacco-flavored e-liquid so as to emulate the "smoking" experience. Many find after a while they no longer like the tobacco taste and enjoy fruit, bakery, etc. flavors. Lots of juice vendors offer small-bottle sample packs that allow you to try different flavors without a big up-front cost. I recommend them!

Take your time finding what works for you, and don't hesitate to ask us questions! :vapor: :thumbs: :vapor:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Thanks again. Such a friendly forum. So much info to absorb when you first dip your toe, it's nice to have folks to help guide the way! Looks like my stuff will be delivered tomorrow! Very optimistic!

Between now and tomorrow, you will come to understand the concept of "vapemail" lol! (This usually involves hanging around the mailbox or continually peering out the front window to catch the mail truck arriving...)

Another little hint: After you fill the clearo with juice, be sure to let it sit for a few minutes so that the wick can fully absorb the juice.

Oh, and: Your battery will most likely arrive half-charged, so if you're like I was, you'll be able to fill your clearo and start vaping right away. But then you should fully charge it.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Package arrived today, just a few minutes before I put the twins down for naps - nice timing! Dug right in. I filled the clearo and fired it up. I think I probably didn't let it soak long enough, because the first couple of draws were disappointing without much flavor. But it has picked up. I think the flavor is good, not really tobacco (but I was sort of expecting that). It is distinct. I get a lot of nutmeg in the nose, which I don't mind a bit (I like nutmeg).

I'm most impressed with the volume of vapor. I was half expecting a trickle. But I'm getting nice big curls of vapor on exhale. It doesn't have the same body as smoke, but I think that adjustment will be easy to make.

Quick question - this is quite aromatic. Will it leave an odor in the room for long? Can you walk into a room an hour or two later and recognize the odor? Or does it just sort of fade away as the mist settles?

Archaviator

ECF Live Chat Moderator
Verified Member
Package arrived today, just a few minutes before I put the twins down for naps - nice timing! Dug right in. I filled the clearo and fired it up. I think I probably didn't let it soak long enough, because the first couple of draws were disappointing without much flavor. But it has picked up. I think the flavor is good, not really tobacco (but I was sort of expecting that). It is distinct. I get a lot of nutmeg in the nose, which I don't mind a bit (I like nutmeg).

I'm most impressed with the volume of vapor. I was half expecting a trickle. But I'm getting nice big curls of vapor on exhale. It doesn't have the same body as smoke, but I think that adjustment will be easy to make.

Quick question - this is quite aromatic. Will it leave an odor in the room for long? Can you walk into a room an hour or two later and recognize the odor? Or does it just sort of fade away as the mist settles?

Personally I smoke in my office all day long, and not one person has noticed any smell, I should also note I am alone in my office all day. Occasionally I think I can smell some of the juice but then I realize I just filled the tank or have some on my hands.

Archaviator

ECF Live Chat Moderator
Verified Member
Personally I smoke in my office all day long, and not one person has noticed any smell, I should also note I am alone in my office all day. Occasionally I think I can smell some of the juice but then I realize I just filled the tank or have some on my hands.

Correction "vape" not smoke. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Your clearo is a top-coil design, so expect some wicking difficulties--can't fight gravity, can we? Tilt your device occasionally to make sure that wicks are fully saturated at all times.

Any tobacco flavor with '555' should taste peanutty, as this is the classic 555 flavor profile. Never heard of nutmeg in 555, but it a strong and "dirty" tobacco juice, often favored by new vapers looking for something similar to actual cigarette taste. And yes, it will leave a scent in the room for quite a while--almost any flavored ejuice will. If you want to stealth vape, try unflavored--it leaves no scent behind. Or menthol--nobody seems to mind menthol. :D Coffee flavors are also well tolerated by innocent bystanders.

BTW, you're going to need more batteries and juice. Sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread