Hello! New and have a question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stara03

Jul 21, 2018
Hello!

I am just beginning to dabble in vaping as a way to quit smoking and from everything I’m learning so far, I think it really may work for me. I’ve been doing research for days but there is so much info and choice out there, that I’m getting overwhelmed! I have so many questions but I guess for the purposes of this post, I am wondering if someone can recommend a mod starter kit that can be used for mouth to lung vaping and is suitable for a beginner. I have also been looking at vape pens but I think I am looking for a little more than what they have to offer. (Or should I be starting with a vape pen???) Any thoughts or suggestions to sort of point me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am wondering if someone can recommend a mod starter kit that can be used for mouth to lung vaping and is suitable for a beginner. I have also been looking at vape pens but I think I am looking for a little more than what they have to offer. (Or should I be starting with a vape pen???) Any thoughts or suggestions to sort of point me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Do some reasonable research prior to buying, but until you actually begin to vape you have little idea of what type of vaping experience you'll enjoy. Go ahead and get a starter kit...get your feet wet so to speak.

Even if your first setup turns out to not be exactly what you like, it can still be used as a backup, which EVERY vaper needs.

Basically, choose a tank designed for MTL (mouth to lung), as that is most akin to smoking a cigarette. The Aspire Nautilus tank line or the Innokin Zenith tank are excellent MTL tanks.

Decide if you want your battery device to use an internal battery or external batteries. Both have their pro's and cons.

You don't need a high wattage battery device (>40 watts) in the beginning. Most newer vapers vape around 20 watts or less. Higher wattage devices often means longer battery use between charging, tho, and could allow you to "grow" into more advanced vaping.

Finding a flavor or e-liquid that you really enjoy will probably be your greatest challenge. If there is a vape shop nearby that offers sampling of their flavors before you buy, that might be worth your while to visit. Don't expect to find a flavor that "tastes like a cigarette".

The atomizer or tank you choose, or the one that comes with your starter kit, is probably more important than the battery device. That's the part that actually makes the vapor.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello!

I am just beginning to dabble in vaping as a way to quit smoking and from everything I’m learning so far, I think it really may work for me. I’ve been doing research for days but there is so much info and choice out there, that I’m getting overwhelmed! I have so many questions but I guess for the purposes of this post, I am wondering if someone can recommend a mod starter kit that can be used for mouth to lung vaping and is suitable for a beginner. I have also been looking at vape pens but I think I am looking for a little more than what they have to offer. (Or should I be starting with a vape pen???) Any thoughts or suggestions to sort of point me in the right directions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi stara03. Welcome to the ECF.

Getting Started can seem kinda Overwhelming. Because there are about a Bazillion options to choose from.

Choice is a Good Thing. But when you are Unsure of what you want, it can be somewhat Daunting.

I also suggest to a person just starting out that they get a Variable Wattage (VW) device (Mod). A VW Mod allows you to fine tune the hit you get. And gives you a Ton of Control over whatever type of atomizer you go with.

Lots of the stuff being Marketed as for "Beginners" are not VW. Just as many of the "Vape Pens" and All-in-Ones (AIO). So if you Don't like Hit you get from it, your choices to change it can be Limited. That, and you are Usually Stuck with whatever Atomizer comes with it.

With a VW Mod, you can run just about Any Atomizer you want. And being able to move the Wattage Up/Down lets you find what Watts you like Best.

As to an Atomizer? I'd go with a Tank that takes Pre-Made Coil Heads. They're Easy to Use. And when the Coil-Head wears out, you just Screw on a New Coil-Head and away you go.

It's been awhile since I used Coil-Head Tank. So I'll let someone else make a Recommendation as to what would be a Good one.

Last thing. Whatever you decide on, it is almost Guaranteed that it won't be the Last e-Cigarette you ever buy. So don't get to Hung Up on thinking you are making a Once and Forever More Decision.

If you are anything but an Occasional Smoker, you are going to spend Less on e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids over the next 3 Months. And that will be with buying a Mod or Two, couple of Tanks/Coil-Head Packs, 6 or 7 Bottle of e-Liquid.

So just focus on putting Cigarettes in the Rearview Mirror for now.

Last edited:

JanTee

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Saint-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
I help many people to quit smoking. I second the innokin zenith and kroma kit, and highly recommend a backup stealth device capable of high nic or nic salt use like the minifit or Icare. I also recommend at least three juices and try to avoid tobacco or menthol as they increase cravings in many folks. But most important you must find them yuuuuuuuumy so if you want a tobacco it's fine as a treat or special juice. Try to have totally different flavours like a fruit, a drink and a desert or whatever appeals.

Great decision, and feel free to ask if you need anything on your exciting new adventure!

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Basically, choose a tank designed for MTL (mouth to
lung), as that is most akin to smoking a cigarette. The Aspire Nautilus tank line or the Innokin Zenith tank are excellent MTL tanks.
During your quest, when you find the perfect vape for you, buy yourself an identical set as a backup. When I started out I was able to quit using the Aspire Nautilus tank on the IPV mini II. I had two of them and really liked them. I still have them in my vape box. I have since moved on the using Temperature Control.
Welcome to ECF and the wonderful world of vaping. Everyone on here will have opinions on what they consider the best basic system. Use the section on here where they have reviews and educate yourself. There are also folks on YouTube that provide great reviews of gear and flavors.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I'll go with @Letitia and suggest the Kroma. Innokin is a long term manufacturer with a good rep. Note the Kroma is a fixed battery mod. That may be the best for a beginner, but I personally like removable battery mods better. This increases the cost-- you have to buy batteries and a charger-- and the complexity but is, IMHO, a more versatile system and has the additional benefit of not becoming a paperweight when the battery goes south, as they all do over time. A decent starter kit for removable batteries is the Kanger Subox Mini C kit. It's not as powerful as the Kroma-- 50W v 75W-- and it doesn't do Temp Control, but 50 watts is pretty powerful anyway and no TC is one less thing to confuse a new user. The Kroma is cheaper.

Vaping is a journey, not a destination. The idea is to get off the analogs and stay off; how you get there is not important. You'll also likely find what you need and want in a vape kit will change over time, as you grow and learn about what you're doing. When you first start, if you're like me, you'll cling to your gear like a life jacket in shark infested waters. You'll be scared to put it down for fear you'll go buy some cigs and start again. That's normal, and for most of us it goes away in time. For a new starter, think about backups. You really will go buy some smokes if your mod breaks and you don't have anything at all; therefore try to keep spare coils and an extra bottle of juice on hand. (The one plus of all the confusion and having to buy and try new things is you'll probably have some old(ish) gear lying around that'll help you over a rough spot if your main rig breaks until you can get it fixed or replaced.) Don't be afraid to experiment. Try low wattage, high nic juice and MTL inhales. And try higher wattage, lower nic juice and DL inhales. A big factor in managing to quit is trying to find a juice you like. Many vape stores have a "tasting bar" and will let you sample them. Once you get started and are more comfortable, DIY juice is not hard to do and much cheaper. Don't be shocked if you see a new mod you like and want to try it-- we call that disease "shinyitus" around here, and there are any number of enablers hereabouts who will help you spend your money on vape gear-- as this is also normal. It isn't indecisiveness-- it might be greed or whatever impulse drives collectors-- but the fact is your learning curve will be very steep at first and things you thought you liked turn out not to be so, and as you discover things you didn't even know existed.

Two final thoughts: I really don't recommend a vape pen. They work for a lot of people, but most of them are just junk and might not last a week. If you find your personal vape lies within the regime a pen can deliver--low watts, higher nic juice and MTL inhales-- you may want one because they're small and light and easily pocketable. But you are not yet sufficiently sophisticated as a vape consumer to find top quality and there isn't a lot of sense in throwing tons of bucks at something (a good setup is going to be a lot more expensive than that Kroma) that may not provide enough power to keep you off the smokes.

And remember we're here to help you. You'll have a lot of questions, and we have a lot of answers. We're also pretty good at moral support.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You've gotten good advice so far, I happen to think the Innoken Zenith tank is just a really nicely designed and great place to start. I still enjoy the Nautilus 2 coils, but in different tanks than the Nautilus tanks and also, well, the 4 ml of the Zenith and the easy topfill is great, as well as being user friendly and etc. I tend to like Innoken stuff overall but I like this tank specifically.

Nothing wrong with the kit, either, and honestly I think in some ways especially with zenith tank going with the starter kit makes sense, and etc. You probably won't want to use something requiring temperature control right off the bat, so honestly as long as what is powering your MTL tank, well, it is POSSIBLE to go wrong, but also hard to, as it were. If internal is appealing to start, go with that, if you want to get more complicated with like things, well, you can do that to.

Most of all welcome to ECF!

Anna

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Hello!

Hi and welcome to ECF!! I hope that your vaping experience does lead to completely quitting cigarettes as it's a nightmare to try and quit in the "approved" methods (for me anyway).

I don't have any recommendations as far as which unit to start with - the selection is huge in the way of starter setups and essentially they offer the same thing IMO. What I will say is based around my own experience when I started, bearing in mind I don't know how you will vape or what your smoking habit was like (heavy, mild, hobby etc):

1) If it's an internal battery be sure to have more than one unit available - because if you can't vape due to a flat battery it might pose a problem for you.

2) Whatever you get as far as the tank be sure that you have no problems getting coils. I vividly remember picking up my first mod (Vaporesso Revenger X) and when I was trying to get replacement coils there was only 1 type out of 4 that were available. Real pain in the neck, and bearing in mind that was pretty much everywhere in Australia. So for you it might not be a problem but something to keep in mind. Drop in coils longevity depends on a number of factors so if you continue it's like toilet paper - always better to have more than less.

3) As far as flavours best to try some pre-made ones, stop by a vape shop and give them an idea as to which types you might like. When I started I had no idea which I would like and which I wouldn't I only had experience with sports supplements to give me an idea as to which flavour types might be safe - and WOW was I wrong. If mint/menthol is something you like then that might be a starting point. But when you get to things like grape the concentrates vary depending on which ones they use so you might get a really sweet grape, or a synthetic sweet grape, or a fruity grape and so on and so forth. definitely start with the smallest possible bottle so if you don't like it you aren't stuck with it.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello!

Welcome and glad you joined.
The information below may help you learn more about vaping.
Guide: The Beginners Guide to Vaping | onVaping
Haptic Habit
A Word On Vaping Technique | Nicoticket
Buying and Using an Electronic Cigarette: A Primer
wiki: vape What mod should I buy? - Google Search

stara03

Jul 21, 2018
Thank you all again so much. It is so incredibly helpful to read your suggestions and words of wisdom!

Thank you for the Innoken Zenith tank suggestion. I will definitely research it some more. I do see that it comes as a kit-Innoken Kroma and the zenith tank. A kit would actually be great and easier for me to start with. I’ve also been seriously considering the aspire zelos (with the aspire nautilus tank). I also find the aspire breeze 2 intriguing but think I’m looking for something more along the lines of the innoken kroma or aspire zelos. If anyone has tried the breeze 2 though, I’d be curious to know what you think.

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you all again so much. It is so incredibly helpful to read your suggestions and words of wisdom!

Thank you for the Innoken Zenith tank suggestion. I will definitely research it some more. I do see that it comes as a kit-Innoken Kroma and the zenith tank. A kit would actually be great and easier for me to start with. I’ve also been seriously considering the aspire zelos (with the aspire nautilus tank). I also find the aspire breeze 2 intriguing but think I’m looking for something more along the lines of the innoken kroma or aspire zelos. If anyone has tried the breeze 2 though, I’d be curious to know what you think.

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me!

The Aspire Zelos is a Very Well Received Mod. Very Similar to an eLeaf iStick 40w TC.

The Only thing to consider about a Built-In Battery Mod is they usually Can't be used while they are being Charged.

If you get one, and you like it, turn around and Buy another. You need a Back-Up Mod anyway. And then you can use the 2nd One while the 1st One is charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread