Hello! Question about DIY EJUICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tank4969

Mar 22, 2018
Hi! I'm new to DIY ejuice and am having a heck of a time figuring out how much flavoring to use as well as how much pg/VG ratio I should use. I've been noticing that with a 70/30 VG/PG mix, I can taste the PG. It's over powering at times, but only with certain flavor mixes. Is this normal? Do certain flavors do better with more VG or even 100% VG? Just curious if someone glances at this. I'll check some of the masters threads and stuff but maybe someone thumbing through will have some tips!
Hope everyone is doing well! Take care !

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
PG should not have a strong nor acrid taste or odor.
Perhaps you have some lessor quality PG that may not be so odorless/flavorless.
Taste test the PG and VG standalone and your nicotine as well.

You did not mention what brands of flavor you are using. Consult the manufactures website for more information.

Cheers
I

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi! I'm new to DIY ejuice and am having a heck of a time figuring out how much flavoring to use as well as how much pg/VG ratio I should use. I've been noticing that with a 70/30 VG/PG mix, I can taste the PG. It's over powering at times, but only with certain flavor mixes. Is this normal? Do certain flavors do better with more VG or even 100% VG? Just curious if someone glances at this. I'll check some of the masters threads and stuff but maybe someone thumbing through will have some tips!
Hope everyone is doing well! Take care !
Welcome and glad you joined.
PG is said to carry the flavor better than VG, we are all different but I know this is true for me.
"I've been noticing that with a 70/30 VG/PG mix, I can taste the PG. It's over powering at times," Quite possibel, suggest you order you liquid 100% VG.
" Do certain flavors do better with more VG or even 100% VG? " Good question, perhaps something like Capiscum Heat would do better for me (cut with 100% VG), but I really don't know.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
PG doesn't typically have a "taste" while VG is said to be slightly "sweet" and I have noticed that as well. The only reason I "detect" PG at all is that I'm sensitive to it in other than the most minute quantities (think, flavoring and not much else), it's like inhaling a bunch of pins and needles.

If you like sweet flavors, I could see a higher VG ratio perhaps working better for you, as it is a bit "naturally" sweet. However, it's also said that PG is a better flavor carrier than VG, so you will need to find the right "balance" for you. Certainly, I'd agree that there may be a noticeable "flavor change" depending on your ratio, but you do want to make sure you have high quality, fairly fresh PG that is USP grade, that is going to be healthiest for vaping in any case. Since PG's shelf life is fairly decent, you may consider the idea of ordering a (small) quantity of VG from a different vendor, to see if it's the PG you HAVE, or whether you react that way, taste bud wise, to all PG, etc. It would be a useful experiment I'd think.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a mix that suits your palate (or a better "for you" vendor of PG).

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Tank4969

Tank4969

Mar 22, 2018
Thank you all for your replies! And they were quick as well!
It must be just how my palette is I guess. My mom dipped a little on her finger and she said it had a slightly sweet flavor. My dad dipped his finger in it and said it had more a bitter flavor ,like I was tasting.
I've been reading through the forums and have read people saying they taste everything from no flavor to slightly sweet to an almost chemical perfume, bitterness, which is how it tastes to me.
I must be doing something wrong with my measurements though if I can taste it when I vape it in some of my homemade juices. Like I said before ,I'm very new to DIY so I'm still figuring all this out. I guess I'll just have to mess with different %'s. Like some have suggested, maybe less would be better for me!

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX
Bad nicotine can get pretty swampy tasting as it oxidizes... one sure fire way to tell if your nic has turned is if it has become darker in color. When i moved last year i had a bottle of nicotine solution i had forgotten to move to my freezer, and it sat in my non-insulated garage for 2 weeks in the Houston heat... when i opened the cap to look at it it had turned brown and the smell was disastrous!

Also, VG can be a bit dicey, depending on where you get it. For some time, i used VG purchased in 20oz bottles from my local health food store, and my juices always tasted flat/off/odd... once i switched to a supplier who had a focus on vaping the difference was immediate. Remember, VG is used for all sorts of things...soaps, sweetener, etc... all are not created equal.

Just my .02...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Bad nicotine can get pretty swampy tasting as it oxidizes... one sure fire way to tell if your nic has turned is if it has become darker in color. When i moved last year i had a bottle of nicotine solution i had forgotten to move to my freezer, and it sat in my non-insulated garage for 2 weeks in the Houston heat... when i opened the cap to look at it it had turned brown and the smell was disastrous!
You are correct. If exposed to air, nicotine will oxidise and turn the liquid a darker color.

I'm not convinced that nic liquid needs to be refigerated or frozen if you don't use it within a reasonable period of time. I've had a 1000ml bottle of nicotine that I've been using for the last year or two. I've kept it at normal room temperature indoors. Yes, its turned a little darker in color, but there has been no dropoff in its quality.

It's well known that heat degrades the quality of nicotine. It wouldn't be wise to expose it to hot summer temperatures and not expect degradation.

mav_sd

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Spring, TX
You are correct. If exposed to air, nicotine will oxidise and turn the liquid a darker color.

I'm not convinced that nic liquid needs to be refigerated or frozen if you don't use it within a reasonable period of time. I've had a 1000ml bottle of nicotine that I've been using for the last year or two. I've kept it at normal room temperature indoors. Yes, its turned a little darker in color, but there has been no dropoff in its quality.

It's well known that heat degrades the quality of nicotine. It wouldn't be wise to expose it to hot summer temperatures and not expect degradation.

We're on the same page, the bottles i'm mixing from just sit in my office inside... they go for months and months that way without issue. Not saying that you have to keep it in the freezer, but that's where my 4 backup liters live since i know it could be up to 3 or 4 years before i even open them.

My apologies if i wasn't clear. Just offering another example of some variables to consider if your DIY isn't going smoothly.

Tank4969

Mar 22, 2018
PG doesn't typically have a "taste" while VG is said to be slightly "sweet" and I have noticed that as well. The only reason I "detect" PG at all is that I'm sensitive to it in other than the most minute quantities (think, flavoring and not much else), it's like inhaling a bunch of pins and needles.

If you like sweet flavors, I could see a higher VG ratio perhaps working better for you, as it is a bit "naturally" sweet. However, it's also said that PG is a better flavor carrier than VG, so you will need to find the right "balance" for you. Certainly, I'd agree that there may be a noticeable "flavor change" depending on your ratio, but you do want to make sure you have high quality, fairly fresh PG that is USP grade, that is going to be healthiest for vaping in any case. Since PG's shelf life is fairly decent, you may consider the idea of ordering a (small) quantity of VG from a different vendor, to see if it's the PG you HAVE, or whether you react that way, taste bud wise, to all PG, etc. It would be a useful experiment I'd think.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a mix that suits your palate (or a better "for you" vendor of PG).

Anna

Tank4969

Mar 22, 2018

Anna

Tank4969

Mar 22, 2018
15223708084965281349847680135024.jpg

Tank4969

Mar 22, 2018
That's the pg I have. The VG I have is from the same company .It tastes fine. It's probably just me! I'll just have to mess with different pg/VG ratios I think ,as well as do as some have suggested and try some different pg as well. Since it's hard to read in the pic, it's from Nicotine River.
Thank you all for your tips and suggestions! I really enjoy messing with all of this stuff! I have managed to make a successful juice, but it was using a mint and chocolate flavor. It was absolutely delicious but the mint kind of canceled out the PG flavor I'd been tasting. So, maybe just adjusting and finding the correct ratio depending on what flavor I'm going for is going to be key. I guess I'm a bit sensitive to the pg! I have noticed that even with store bought juices, with mild flavors I can taste the pg and it's horrible! My mom swears it's a sweet flavor. I just taste bitter nastiness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread