Hello there o/&

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldnorth

Dec 21, 2011
Finland
Hello everyone. Fresh user here, came to ask a modding question but I see you have limits for new people. That's fine, I'll try to post something reasonable even though I really just need modding advice.

18 years of smoking tobacco cigarettes, about 10 of hitting the .... so I have a bad throat hit addiction on top of whatever the nicotine does. Got my first e-cig set a week ago and already down from a pack/day to roughly 2-3 lighter cigarettes than what I'm used to. I'm really impressed at how well they work and I think all this pointless paranoia and efforts to ban e-cigarettes that we have in Finland atm is just bull.....

The government actually managed to create a sales ban starting on 1.1.2012 because e-cigarettes LOOK LIKE tobacco cigarettes. Not because of possible health issues, or because they could be considered a drug delivery system. Meanwhile guns, alcohol, tobacco cigarettes and medical nicotine products are just fine. I could rant about the stupidity behind that for several paragraphs but I'm sure someone has already covered that.

coldnorth

Dec 21, 2011
Finland
Fortunately the internet will very likely not follow the demands of the Finnish health ministry. They managed to make cartomizers containing nicotine require a prescription, but mine have come through without problems.

So yeah, I bought a Green Smoke set. After reading around for a while, it seems there are better options out there but generally I'm quite pleased with it. I have one battery with the auto-activating sensor broken. I was going to return it but then I started thinking it could probably be used to experiment a bit with modding.

I'd like a battery without the sensor that turns it on when sucking, and longer battery life. The only visible parts without doing any dismantling are 3 wires. Is there a diagram or some kind of explanation somewhere as to how the GS batteries work?

What kind of voltage/amperage can the GS cartomizers handle? My universal transformers put out anywhere between 0.5 to 1.5 amps where as the GS battery is 3.7v @ 180-270 mA. I have some old cell phone batteries laying around, or I could build a battery pack. If there's a guide somewhere that covers these basics, could you point me there?

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I'd like a battery without the sensor that turns it on when sucking, and longer battery life. The only visible parts without doing any dismantling are 3 wires. Is there a diagram or some kind of explanation somewhere as to how the GS batteries work?

What kind of voltage/amperage can the GS cartomizers handle? My universal transformers put out anywhere between 0.5 to 1.5 amps where as the GS battery is 3.7v @ 180-270 mA. I have some old cell phone batteries laying around, or I could build a battery pack. If there's a guide somewhere that covers these basics, could you point me there?

Haha, your first intincts were probably right on target! If you're looking for schematics to a mod, you will most likely find them somewhere in the modders forum. My suggesting is to get your post count up past 5 so that you can go and participate in the forum there! Ask some questions, answer a few and you'll be there in no time.

What strength eliquid are you using? Do you have a favourite or preferred flavour?

coldnorth

Dec 21, 2011
Finland
Thanks, my lungs are loving it too. Plus now I can start learning the blues harp for real, used to get winded pretty fast. I'm using the basic GS cartomizers for now, looking for a vendor in the ETA area where I could get propylene glycol and flavors to make my own. Experimenting would be fun. I'm really inexperienced with this but the GS coffee and chocolate tastes are nice.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Coldnorth, you need 3.7 volts @ about 1.5 amps. This gives a standard e-cig result. Make it 4 volts, or maybe 4.25, and this will kick the GS carto a bit harder. Not sure about giving it any more than that. If you apply the higher voltage, make sure to keep the carto wet or you'll burn it.

There are variable voltage mods that you can adjust from 3.5 to 6 volts, and also fixed-voltage mods at 5v and 6v. The higher voltages need end fittings (cartomiser or atomizer + driptip) that can take more power. The standard thread type is 510, you can get anything to fit that (different models/brands have different threads).

coldnorth

Dec 21, 2011
Finland
Coldnorth, you need 3.7 volts @ about 1.5 amps. This gives a standard e-cig result. Make it 4 volts, or maybe 4.25, and this will kick the GS carto a bit harder. Not sure about giving it any more than that. If you apply the higher voltage, make sure to keep the carto wet or you'll burn it.

There are variable voltage mods that you can adjust from 3.5 to 6 volts, and also fixed-voltage mods at 5v and 6v. The higher voltages need end fittings (cartomiser or atomizer + driptip) that can take more power. The standard thread type is 510, you can get anything to fit that (different models/brands have different threads).

Thanks, that helps. I just found an old Nokia battery with 3.7v@1100mAh. Now I wish I had taken some classes about electricity. Seems other people have already made cell phone battery mods so I'll just follow their example and go with trial and error. =)

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
That battery is perfect. The end result will be like an eGo battery of the largest size. Or more like a Riva actually as the eGo restricts the voltage and the Riva doesn't. If it's a flat-pack battery, well, you've got your first boxmod then :)

You need to charge it at 4.2 volts, the nominal voltage is 3.7, and don't let it go below 3 volts as that reduces cell life. In other words it should come off charge at somewhere between 4.1 and 4.25 volts, 4.21 / 4.22 is perfect. Don't charge it at more than 200mA - that means you can't just connect it to a 3 amp PSU set at 4.2 volts.

It will sure charge fast if you do that, but you may need a fire extinguisher :)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Welcome and we here in the states are also fighting the ignorance of our government.

Based on your description of what you are looking for from vaping, I would strongly suggest you look into a good 5 volt or variable wattage model. They will provide warmer vaper which is part of providing better throat hit. All of these models also have larger batteries which will last much longer than what you currently have. They also are more consistent. In the case of the variable wattage model that I suggest you look at, it also has regulated, boost circuit technology that keeps the power output constant throughout the life of the battery charge for the ultimate in consistency. It also has an 1800 mAh battery that will last 21+ hours on a charge. Here are two to consider:

5 volt GLV2 (lifetime warranty): Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor

Prower regulated, variable wattage Darwin (2 year full warranty): Nhaler

With a variable wattage model, you can vape anywhere between 3.7 volts to about 6.4 volts depending on the atty/carto you use.

Good Luck

Last edited:

coldnorth

Dec 21, 2011
Finland
Nice, I bet those are worth every penny. I'm a bit low on € due to other spending but I will definitely upgrade to something like that when I can afford it.

The battery is tiny and flat (BP-6M) which is a good thing, but if my memory serves correctly it was about to die when I dumped that phone. I'll try to do the mod as a learning experience but setting my sights on that GLV-2. Darwin is way out of my price range.

I bet someone has posted this, but seems like something that even the FDA would have to listen to:
Evidence suggests e-cigs safer than cigarettes, researcher claims

Thanks for the info guys. I regret getting the GS now that you've showed me some real equipment. It'll do the job for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread