Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webbink

Dec 7, 2018
I am just in the research phase of what to use for an initial setup. There seems to be an unlimited number of hardware items and juices. I would like to use it to quit smoking. I believe that my smoking is low nicotine and more routine. I would like to know your opinion on setup to use to be simple and last all day. Do I need to go battery route or will a standard charging model work. I would really appreciate your help in these questions. John

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I suggest that you read my blog, Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper, and if you then have additional questions return for more question/answers.

Choosing the right gear is only half of the journey. The right e-liquid flavor at the right nicotine strength for YOU is equally important.

If a buddy of mine asked me the same question you did, I'd suggest the either the Geekvape Aegis Mini with the Cerberus tank, or the Innokin Kroma with the Zenith tank.

I also suggest getting a backup setup not long after getting your first. You don't want to be put into the situation where your only setup stops working (for what ever reason) and you then find you need to buy a pack of cigarettes to get past that craving.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I would say buy one kit (I like the kroma too if you’re not interested in big clouds) and vape on it awhile. This will give you a much better idea of what you do want.

Considerations you may find you have:

DL vs MTL
High power vs high portability
High reliability vs low cost
Convenience vs cost savings

Everyone develops a preference. I’m sure as your experience with vaping grows yours will develop too.
Gl and happy vaping :)

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Sheesh!

Used to be you went to a tobacco store and bought an electric cigarette. Not anymore.

Selection is like sand on the beach. What juice? What coil? What tank? What battery? Bluetooth?

I always reccomend start out simple. Go to a vape shop and try out some flavors, and pick out something that drags similar to a cigarette at first. You gotta decide if vaping is really something you'd stick with first.

Tell the shop what you told us. Then tell them what drag style you'd like to start with as in one like your cigarette or a long, straight to lung type.

A lot of shop people use pods when not vaping giant clouds. I started out with an electric cigarette then later a pod system. I went the battery/tank route for a while then went back to modern pods. But I stuck with a cigarette style of drag.

Lots of good reccomendations will come your way.

Best regards and welcome to ECF.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sheesh!

Used to be you went to a tobacco store and bought an electric cigarette. Not anymore.

Selection is like sand on the beach. What juice? What coil? What tank? What battery? Bluetooth?

I always reccomend start out simple. Go to a vape shop and try out some flavors, and pick out something that drags similar to a cigarette at first. You gotta decide if vaping is really something you'd stick with first.

Tell the shop what you told us. Then tell them what drag style you'd like to start with as in one like your cigarette or a long, straight to lung type.

A lot of shop people use pods when not vaping giant clouds. I started out with an electric cigarette then later a pod system. I went the battery/tank route for a while then went back to modern pods. But I stuck with a cigarette style of drag.

Lots of good reccomendations will come your way.

Best regards and welcome to ECF.
This is a fair point. Pod mods can be cheap and small. They generally have fairly anemic performance, and they tend not to last all day unless they’re large and expensive (in which case, again, kroma zenith kit FTW on that one. It’s just a lot more device than anything a pod can offer). It is possible to get a blu for a buck though, and that alone could tell you a lot of what you need to know

Reactions: VapourFlavour

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome John. The Innokin Kroma/Zenith kit is ideal for a new vaper imo. The Zenith coils are reliable and have good flavor, the airflow is fairly versatile as well. The Kroma is compact and user friendly yet remains versatile enough to grow with you, it is an internal battery device. Eleaf pico 25 with a kanger Toptank is another good pairing. The Pico uses an external 18650 battery you would need two batteries so you have a backup.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay if you are feeling overwhelmed and you don't know what kind of vaper you will be, something simple like the Eleaf Invoke (it's a small, light, easy to operate mod) with two removable batteries MAY be the way to go. I say that because a) it's inexpensive, solidly built and easy to use. Then you can try a MTL setup on it (more closely mimics smoking, nicotine level anywhere from 12ish to 24ish depending on your smoking habits) the Zenith tank is certainly a good choice.

But, you can also buy a rather sub0hm cloudy tank to try (nic levels there tend to be 3--6 mg juices work best). I don't give sub0hm recommendations, I am not a sub0hm vaper.

If you like one or the other, well if it's the MTL option, you just now have a mod that will give you great battery life. If you find you like blowing great big clouds, well fine, the Invoke with the right batteries will give you that.

Either way you have a backup tank.

it's just a thought, and you need to research your batteries and whatnot but at least you'll have a sense of what you are into.

That's usually my spiel to the terminally confused. IMHO it is the best way to figure out your vaping preference without spending a TON of money, etc.

You can certainly buy a different mod if you wish, the Innoken Proton is rather nice and small in form factor as well;

I do this now after recommending MTL setups to some folks who wound up disliking them so I don't do that anymore, etc.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: chellie

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I am just in the research phase of what to use for an initial setup. There seems to be an unlimited number of hardware items and juices. I would like to use it to quit smoking. I believe that my smoking is low nicotine and more routine. I would like to know your opinion on setup to use to be simple and last all day. Do I need to go battery route or will a standard charging model work. I would really appreciate your help in these questions. John
Welcome and glad you joined.
I found vaping is a little like the learning progression when you first get in to drive a car. The more basic the car, generally, the easier it is to learn on. I recommend purchasing an economical simple vape.From your description above, this is all you need for now. For me vaping is mainly all about the atomizer(juice delivery system) and the expectations of the e liquid you vape.
The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly - Vaping360
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

ajbr

May 7, 2017
Melbourne, Fl.
Many good suggestions here! I think the Innokin Kroma with Zenith tank would be a good choice. As for juice, I suggest you visit a few sites and get a sampler kit of the flavors that interest you. You usually get 8-10 small bottles to sample. This approach will allow you to try many flavors before buying larger bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread