Help! Its my first time using a variable mod :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think this is just a familiarity thing if you are used to mechs. The two things at play for you now are coil resistance and WATTAGE instead of BATTERY.

I can't see any situation where you need to start out building below 0.1 ohm, honestly and if you are feeling nervous, why not start out with a simple round wire build of 0.5 and prime it slowlllly while moving up in wattage until you find your sweet spot.

The higher the wattage, the more battery drain you will experience, and trying to vape THE HIGHEST wattage on your mod will likely lead to more battery stress, and shorter run time, and isn't great for your equipment (plus, you will be replacing batteries constantly). A 0.5 build might seem high, but it will be a good way to get a sense of how wattage works, and what wattages you like at that resistance without overstressing anything, and you can kind of build to suit from there.

Although I know wattage probably seems foreign if you have been using mechs, but the good news on VW mods is that they do have user protections (like refusing to fire the mod if your resistance is too low) and many more options as far as what wattage you would like to be at. I think you will be fine, but start slow and low wattage and just do some experimenting.

Best of luck,

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Help! Its my first time using a variable mod. I've been vaping on my dual mech mod for 6 months now and I'm not really good with all the wattage and all. My friend gave me a Charon TC 218 by Smoant

Can the mod handle a 22g 5 wraps dual coil around 40 to 150 watts? Sorry, really paranoid with these kind of stuff :(
You might find you want to start using thinner gauge wire now, maybe 24g or 26g for better ramp times. Charon tc has a fast fire response so if you find yourself frustrated with ramp the problem will be your build or battery choice not the mod.

Sphenyyy

Oct 9, 2016
I think this is just a familiarity thing if you are used to mechs. The two things at play for you now are coil resistance and WATTAGE instead of BATTERY.

I can't see any situation where you need to start out building below 0.1 ohm, honestly and if you are feeling nervous, why not start out with a simple round wire build of 0.5 and prime it slowlllly while moving up in wattage until you find your sweet spot.

The higher the wattage, the more battery drain you will experience, and trying to vape THE HIGHEST wattage on your mod will likely lead to more battery stress, and shorter run time, and isn't great for your equipment (plus, you will be replacing batteries constantly). A 0.5 build might seem high, but it will be a good way to get a sense of how wattage works, and what wattages you like at that resistance without overstressing anything, and you can kind of build to suit from there.

Although I know wattage probably seems foreign if you have been using mechs, but the good news on VW mods is that they do have user protections (like refusing to fire the mod if your resistance is too low) and many more options as far as what wattage you would like to be at. I think you will be fine, but start slow and low wattage and just do some experimenting.

Best of luck,

Anna
Will probably build using a 24 gauge wire, thank you so much Anna :)

Reactions: stols001

Sphenyyy

Oct 9, 2016
You might find you want to start using thinner gauge wire now, maybe 24g or 26g for better ramp times. Charon tc has a fast fire response so if you find yourself frustrated with ramp the problem will be your build or battery choice not the mod.
the batteries I'll be using on the charon are VTC5. Are the batteries okay for the mod?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
cool! kinda like around 0.09?
The Authentic Smoant Charon TS 218 Touch Screen Box Mod is another flag-ship TC / VW mod by Smoant. It comes with a 2.4 inches super large touch screen with High-tech and user-friendly interface. Powered by 2 x 18650 batteries (not included), the output wattage is 1~218W and supported resistance can be low to 0.1 ohm. The temperature range is 100~300'C / 200~600'F. The mod comes with USB port for charging.
  • Zinc alloy construction
  • Customized VW / TC curves
  • VW mode:
    • Power range: 1~218W
    • Support resistance low to 0.1ohm
    • Four heating modes: Min / Norm / Hard / Max
  • Full temperature control:
    • Support Nickel 200 / Titanium / Stainless Steel / TCR
    • Resistance range: 0.05~2.0ohm
    • Temperature range: 100~300'C / 200~600'F
  • Screen lock button
  • Screen brightness adjustment
  • Pass through and 5V / 1A balanced charging
  • Low resistance protection
  • Over-time protection
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Overheating protection
  • Temperature protection
  • Low voltage protection
  • Leather wrapped battery cover
  • 2.4'' super big touch screen
  • High-tech and user-friendly interface
  • 510 threading connection
  • Powered by 2*18650 batteries (not included)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Provided they are authentic (I am assuming they are) then you should be fine, yes. :)

I have to say, it's kind of fun to see a hesitant regulated mod user, instead of a mech mod user. Different skillsets indeed. But, you really, really should be fine and if you've come from mechs I'm pretty sure you know the care and feeding of a battery.... Good luck! :)

Anna

Reactions: Sphenyyy

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The vtc5 is a good 2600mah 20a CDR cell. 20 a CDR cells are good up to 60w per cell.
Vtc 5A is a 25a CDR cell, good for up to 75w per cell.
Only buy cells from reputable sources to avoid re wrap, counterfeit & lower quality cells

The whole point in using a regulated power device is to be able to adjust power output up/down to find your sweet spot using almost any combination of variables.

No reason to use ultra subohm, build reasonable resistance using thinner wire for faster ramp up, lower battery amp drain & longer battery / charge life. ( more efficient build )

Mechanical / regulated are two different methods of vaping, using a regulated you no longer have to think of resistance / battery voltage = power.
Just press the power up / down button.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The Authentic Smoant Charon TS 218 Touch Screen Box Mod is another flag-ship TC / VW mod by Smoant. It comes with a 2.4 inches super large touch screen with High-tech and user-friendly interface. Powered by 2 x 18650 batteries (not included), the output wattage is 1~218W and supported resistance can be low to 0.1 ohm. The temperature range is 100~300'C / 200~600'F. The mod comes with USB port for charging.
  • Zinc alloy construction
  • Customized VW / TC curves
  • VW mode:
    • Power range: 1~218W
    • Support resistance low to 0.1ohm
    • Four heating modes: Min / Norm / Hard / Max
  • Full temperature control:
    • Support Nickel 200 / Titanium / Stainless Steel / TCR
    • Resistance range: 0.05~2.0ohm
    • Temperature range: 100~300'C / 200~600'F
  • Screen lock button
  • Screen brightness adjustment