Not open for further replies.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I'm not knocking anyone's juices, but there's a particular smell in some and I'd like to know what it is so I never get them again.

The only thing I can describe it as is "sickeningly sweet."

I was wondering if it is Dekang (I don't really know what Dekang is other than it's from China).

Some examples of juices that have the smell:

Hotel by Liberty-Flights
Original Red by Liberty-Flights
All the Coffee flavors by Top vape

I thought maybe it had something to do with tobacco flavor, but we have Bacco and Applewood from BWB and they don't have that scent/flavor. I also have about 15 different bottles from VaporBomb and not one has that smell.

It's gotten to the point where I can't stand to be near my husband when he's using them, and he thinks the are better than any of the others LOL

ZooKansas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Kansas City, MO USA
YUP! Yes, and yeah...IT is the DeKang! I was thinking the same thing about my e-liquids earlier in my vaping life. Almost exact same thoughts as you. First juice orders when I was new were from Liberty Flights, and they were horrid. Then I tried another vendor that sells TopVapor(dekang-remixed with flavor), which were an improvement from LF juices, but were still a little off (that smell) the sickening sweetness, the harshness, the alcohol taste, etc. Maybe one or two are suitable vapes for me today, the rest are just sitting in a box now. They were cheap to buy, and I was happy to have quit analogs. Then I tried some from the ECF forum, such as thevaporroom, and alienvisions, and vermillion river, etc. Wow, what a difference. As you have experienced, vendors that hand-mix their juices and take and refrain from dekang style premixed liquids. Yes, the good stuff costs more, and yes, the quality is better. As you've noticed with VaporBomb I'm sure. Some folks enjoy dekang liquids, more power to them. I love vaping, everyone has their own preferences, but ultimately we're a community who do what I couldn't do for years, quit killing ourselves with analogs. Vape-on!

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
Thank you! It's good to find out that someone else thinks this stuff is horrid and to put a name to it.

I haven't said anything to my husband because I want him to use up what we have, but he's going to have to give it up when its gone LOL

I wonder what they put in it to make it smell/taste like that?

ashora, thanks, I thought it might be a cream or a particular sweetener too, but I have some cream-based juices from VaporBomb, and they smell like cream. I also found out that I have juices with both main types of sweeteners are I'm okay with those too.

Last edited:

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
it amazes me how subjective taste/flavor/smell becomes and how different all vapers are from one another in what they like, considering all they were tasting before was really burning ash lol

I know! But given the choice between licking a dirty ashtray and vaping that stuff, I seriously would choose the ashtray. Maybe there's something in there that reacts oddly with some people?

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
I've also got several small bottles of Dekang based liquids that will never see the inside of my attys. lol. They're supposed to be different flavors but they all smell and taste identical. On the other hand, I've been through a couple bottles of Dekang RY4 and 555. I'll probably order those again.

The weird thing for me is that I started on one and I thought it was wonderful, but I went from loving it to be repulsed by it overnight. I can even smell it in an Apple flavor from LF now, but when I first tried that, all I tasted was pure apple.

I've never tried RY4 or 555, they must be powerful flavors.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
....I've never tried RY4 or 555, they must be powerful flavors.

To my taste buds, 555 is a light flavor that reminds me of how a pipe tobacco would smell and with a hint of either peanuts or walnuts. (I never can decide which lol) Ry4 is also like a tobacco smell with a little caramel and vanilla. The best tasting RY4 I've tried is Taboo from Liquidxpress but I can't afford it so I usually order Dekang RY4 from Madvapes. The DK-Tab is pretty good also. China E-Liquids

ZooKansas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Kansas City, MO USA
Noticing that many vendors give out coupon codes and have specials from time to time, and that's when I usually place my orders. If you're wanting to know of a great supplier, amazing eliquid, great prices, great specials, and customer service, I highly recommend thevaporroom.net. Check out their deal for new customers. They always have a discount of some sort, and the three juices I've tried from them are simply amazing. Peanut Butter cookie, Apple-pie, and my favorite, blueberry cinnamon crumble.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Then I tried another vendor that sells TopVapor(dekang-remixed with flavor),!

TopVapor isn't Dekang. TopVapor is 70 to 80% VG and is made with US sourced alcohol based flavorings. Dekang juices are 100% PG and their own PG based flavorings. A recent quote from Hoogie on the topic is here .

ZooKansas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Kansas City, MO USA
TopVapor isn't Dekang. TopVapor is 70 to 80% VG and is made with US sourced alcohol based flavorings. Dekang juices are 100% PG and their own PG based flavorings. A recent quote from Hoogie on the topic is here .

Right on...I guess it's the alcohol based flavorings (or something) in TopVapor that don't do it for me. I love MV though, best customer service I've had to date, and yes I still order my hardware from them.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places

I never could vape topvapor liquids. I tried everything including putting them in glass bottles (don't ask me why I did this) but nothing helped. I think it has something to do with their bases...they taste like chemical to me. DeKang is the same way other than their straight tobacco. I can't vape it by itself but I love it mixed with FSUSA's 555. Makes for an excellent vape.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Right on...I guess it's the alcohol based flavorings (or something) in TopVapor that don't do it for me. .

I just dug out an old repackaged Dekang bottle and it lists alcohol as an ingredient. Maybe the alcohol creates an odor with some flavors.

I've tried almost every flavor of TopVapor. The only ones I can't live without are Rootbeer, Caramel Tobacco (that one is relatively new - it lacks TH, but the flavor really surprised/impressed me), Black Licorice, and Spearmint. I could add Mandarin Orange to that list, but I don't care for it by itself. I mix it 3 to 1 with Spearmint. -- I've never noticed any really unusual odors except with their colas, cherry, and raspberry truffle, but that is sort of a perfume smell, not the sticky sweet odor I think the OP was talking about. It's awfully difficult to describe or understand smells in plain text :)

I have a recently purchased bottle of Basic Tobacco #3 that has that sweet weird smell. I have no idea what the juice vapes like because I couldn't get past it. I also have a couple of bottles of Desert Ship and one has that smell but not the other (pretty sure that is repacked Dekang). And, I bought a couple of bottles of Ecopure a while back and one of them was like that, too (can't remember which one - that stuff is expensive enough that I don't really care to try it again).

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
To my taste buds, 555 is a light flavor that reminds me of how a pipe tobacco would smell and with a hint of either peanuts or walnuts. (I never can decide which lol) Ry4 is also like a tobacco smell with a little caramel and vanilla. The best tasting RY4 I've tried is Taboo from Liquidxpress but I can't afford it so I usually order Dekang RY4 from Madvapes. The DK-Tab is pretty good also. China E-Liquids

If it smells like a nicotine patch, then it is probably related to the concentration of nicotine or the quality of the nicotine in the juice. RY4 is notably smelly, even at 18 mg. TW claims their decadent range contains "pharmacutical grade" nicotine and they aren't just blowing smoke.

I disagree that all Dekang juices taste the same. Nor do they have some sort of characteristic smell to them.

Beginners may not be aware of just how much money juice is going to cost them, nor how much money it will cost them to keep making mods to an e-cig to get it to work right. Not that many care about that in this forum.

HTH,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread